Stockpiling of EBM

allycat

Hi, my son is going 7 weeks old now and I'm currently pumping twice a day to stockpile. can anyone share how many times do you pump to stockpile? Thanks.

Mama Ilhan

Hi, my son is going 7 weeks old now and I'm currently pumping twice a day to stockpile. can anyone share how many times do you pump to stockpile? Thanks.
Hi Allycat,

I used to express my breastmilk for every 2 - 3 hours and it is important for you to allow your baby to suckle more often during this period of time so that the milk glands will produce more milk.

Now my son is 7 mths and i have quit my job so that i can continue breastfeeding and i tried to express my milk, it doesnt even reach 40ml and i realised that once im totally breastfeeding him every 1 hour, no point expressing - doesnt mean the milk has dried up, he is still receiving milk and is full.

catherlyn

For me I pump during her first n last feed as I feed her ebm to get use of btl. Then in the nite once or twice depnding if she woke up for nite feed.

My baby is 6 weeks old and I pump about 6 times a day - twice in the middle of the night, twice each in the morning and afternoon. Going back to work after the first 8 weeks so got to stock up. And my colleagues used to warn me about ensuring a good supply otherwise it will dip very drastically when you return to work. The 'strategy' worked quite well for my elder boy so doing it again for no. 2. So far it's been good, although I must say it can be quite tiring too.

ecym

hi rosa,

can I check with you meanwhile do you TBF your BB or you give him/her all EBM?

allycat

Yeah Rosa, do u mean u latched the baby and pump 6 times a day!? Wont u be deprived of rest? Btw, how much do u managed to pump each time?

I actually didnt stockpile with my elder boy but as I'll be travelling quite often when I returned to work, will have to keep stock for days when I wont be around. Any advise how much milk I should keep?

Last edited:

camom

What I did was to feed 1 side and pump from the other side concurrently. Spend less time cos the let downs were stimulated by bb's suckling and I didn't have to expend any effort to stimulate them. 1 side per session was sufficient for my bb then.

My milk supply is lowest in the late afternoons/evenings. I usually pump in the mornings and late nights before I sleep. I also don't pump at night when bb wake up for milk.

allycat

What I did was to feed 1 side and pump from the other side concurrently. Spend less time cos the let downs were stimulated by bb's suckling and I didn't have to expend any effort to stimulate them. 1 side per session was sufficient for my bb then.

My milk supply is lowest in the late afternoons/evenings. I usually pump in the mornings and late nights before I sleep. I also don't pump at night when bb wake up for milk.
Hmmm, cant really coordinate well so didnt manage to feed and pump at the same time. Hopefully I can have a good reserve like Camom did.

camom

Hmmm, cant really coordinate well so didnt manage to feed and pump at the same time. Hopefully I can have a good reserve like Camom did.
Jiayou!

I can't coordinate with a manual pump too but it's easy with an electric pump. With a manual, ds will be busy pushing and batting at it when I am fumbling with the lever.

cmeilim

Yeah Rosa, do you mean you latched the baby and pump 6 times a day!? Wont you be deprived of rest? Btw, how much do you managed to pump each time?

I actually didnt stockpile with my elder boy but as I'll be travelling quite often when I returned to work, will have to keep stock for days when I wont be around. Any advise how much milk I should keep?

hi allycat

it depends on how often you are travelling and how long per trip. i actually changed job before getting pregnant cos i was sure i wanted to breastfeed my baby for as long as possible and didn't want frequent business travelling to disrupt it - not suggesting that you do the same! ;p

at the start of my work, i had stored abt 2 weeks of daytime feeds for my boy. that was sufficient for us since i latch him once i am home and on weekends. i also pump 2-3 times in office per day, today for tmr's feeds. besides i didn't want to stockpile too much and end up storing them for more than a month - this is just my personal standard cos i don't have a separate deep freezer for my EBM.

how are you going to pump and store your EBM while travelling? you gotta get prepared for this as well. otherwise it will affect your milk supply eventually, and also you won't be able to top up on depleted stored EBM back home in Singapore.

allycat

i'll have to pump and throw or self consume during travelling to maintain the supply. i was planning to have stock of about 1200ml by the time i return to work. but looking at the way i'm pumping 2 twice a day now, seems a bit tough to meet that target :nah:

cmeilim

1,200ml? Sounds quite little....Do you know how much milk is your baby drinking per feed now? Try to estimate with a couple of bottle-feeds and vary the amounts each time. Then multiply it by the number of bottles of EBM your baby will need while you are at work.

allycat

actually i dont know how much he is drinking since i'm always latching him directly. i've tried giving him 100ml via bottle but he still wants more... perhaps i should try pumping one feeding to see how much i'm getting?

by the way, i can combine 2/3 pumps of cooled EBM and freeze them thereafter right?umps

shidajat

i used to pump 7-9 times a day...and i had so much output.
i created a spreadsheet to help me manage expiration dates on the milk.
and i was able to fill up the freezer and the fridge, i still have some stock now in the freezer that havent expired yet haha.
2010-03-19_1148

cmeilim

actually i dont know how much he is drinking since i'm always latching him directly. i've tried giving him 100ml via bottle but he still wants more... perhaps i should try pumping one feeding to see how much i'm getting?

yes, you should. i did that a few times over consecutive nights.

by the way, i can combine 2/3 pumps of cooled EBM and freeze them thereafter right?umps
yes, it's possible and safe as long as your make sure to chill your EBM in the fridge as soon as you have pumped it out, and combine together and move to the freezer within 24h of pumping out? Some people might push till within 48h but i prefer to play safe.

Yeah Rosa, do you mean you latched the baby and pump 6 times a day!? Wont you be deprived of rest? Btw, how much do you managed to pump each time?

haha! yeah, pumped 6 times a day and breastfeeding. Sometimes when I feel quite engorged, I'll pump on one side as I latch her on. Otherwise it'll be an hour or so after a feed. Typically pump about 100ml - 150ml each time. Night time volume is a little higher. A little tiring in the beginning but once I got into the routine, it's ok.

Depends on how long your trips are. Attended a workshop by BMSG a couple of years back and I think recommended to stockpile a day to two in excess. And remember to pump while you are away to keep supply up. I use a handpump for times when I'm away from office. Just go to a bathroom to pump and throw :)