Sushi!!!

rainypink

Hello mummies, I want to make some sushi, chawanmushi and tempura for hubby. ;)

Anyone got ready recipe tested and trial?

Can easily get the ingredients from NTUC kind. :)

thank you!!:Dancing_wub:

CanCanMum

not all ntucs have all sushi ingredients

i always go to the Cold Storage at Bugis to buy (Keep aside at least $60 for all the ingredients)

1) Sushi bamboo - u need this to roll the sushi

2) Seaweed - Sushi + handroll kind

3) Sushi Vinegar

4) Sushi Rice - get the "Song He" brand, small pack about $11+

5) Crab sticks - get the japanese kind not the house brand kind

6) Mayonese - Important, get those Tube Kind in jap words (plastic tube with no brands printed outside), those are meant for sushi making. Do not get the ang mo brands in a glass bottle kind (eg: Best Foods or Kraft)

7) Tuna in canned form - best is chunks soaked in oil kind.

8) The orange colour fish roe - this is a must. Go to the sushi section to buy.

9) Beancurd skin - if u r lazy to make can buy ready ones. Sushi section oso have

10) japanese cucumber - slim dark green colour ones

11) sweetened egg chunk - oso get from sushi section

12) avocado if u wan to make california handroll

All the above ingredients can make u about 5-6 varieties already.

A) Cucumber + crab sticks + fish roe + rice + seaweed + mayonese = california roll

B) crab sticks mashed + mayonese + fish roe + beancurd skin + rice = crab salad beancurd skin

C) tuna + mayo + beancurd skin + rice = tuna salad beancurd skin

D) rice + fish roe + seaweed = fish roe gunkan sushi

E) egg + rice + seaweed = egg gunkan sushi

F) cucumber + avocado + mayo + fish roe + rice + handroll seaweed = california handroll

u can mix and match the ingredients to your liking. Or u can invent a new sushi yourself.

enjoy~!

tempura is a bit troublesome coz u need the right temperature to fry it nice. Need a deep fryer.

chawanmushi i have not tried. But seems like normal steamed egg custard.

yakii

wahhh Cancanmum...got to get so many things to do the sushi..very stress...:elvis:

Making Chawanmushi
1 add 1 egg in 100ml water, soya source, wine, sugar stir but dun make bubbles (can 'filter' the egg to have a smoother texture)
2 add any thing u like like mushroom, chicken prawn etc
3 stream for 7min(depending how many u doing)

rainypink

wah!! thank you all!!
:Dancing_tongue::Dancing_tongue:

must go bugis. haha, must sai nai to my friends to help me buy liao. MU hAhhHAhaha..

yeah!!

tempura very hard to do but hubby likes it alot, if i can do it all by myself, wil make him happy i guess! hee...
long time never cookfor him le.
thank you very much!!:red:

rainypink

eh, its .. how to explain huh?
you chu pattern to plead innocently , act cute to hypothise your guy or fren to help you buy stuffs..:wong29:

yakii

I have tried making sushi wif our normal white rice and didnt add any vinegar to it. It turn out to be ok and taste good. We had cucumber and tuna and egg mayo sushi. For the little one i guess he dun expect too much from me ba..ha aha

rainypink

I have tried making sushi wif our normal white rice and didnt add any vinegar to it. It turn out to be ok and taste good. We had cucumber and tuna and egg mayo sushi. For the little one i guess he dun expect too much from me ba..ha aha
You rarely bring him out to eat the real sushi izzit?
haha, your child kenna cheated by your sushi!!
haHA...

;P

Hubby cannot cheat one leh, he will compare!! haha...

CanCanMum

eh dun be so bad la~

my relatives in taiwan oso use homecooked rice to make sushi but it tastes like cina sushi more den jap types~

ooOooPs.....

yakii

We always bring him to Jap resturant to eat...but then when it come to mummy's sushi he will still enjoy himself when eating...cos i make it wif LOVE so he got to appreciate ma...

yakii

Thanks for the invitation Cancanmum...but that weekend i cant cos my brother's wedding is on 18th March..so that is the last weekend to get prepared...*tired* Keep my inform if there is another one ya...will bring my son go..

Funz

just made tempura 2 nites ago, had prawns, fish, scallop, mushroom, sweet potato and crab sticks.

Used those ready tempura flour from Coldstorage Jap food section. They say oil temp must be like 180 degrees, etc, but never follow. Just agak agak. Of course not as nice looking as the restaurant tempura but still nice to eat.

I used the cold soba dipping sauce for the tempura. Nice oso. Just add a bit of hot water. I skipped the radish for the sauce tho.

rainypink

yummy!!
ya.. prepared with LOVE so must learn to appreciate.
must show this to hubby if he dare say not nice! hahahaha..

he always say i cook kanasai.. go out eat nicer and no need to trouble me to cook, sweat n wash. more of my cooking lousy until he buay tahan. hahaahhahha

but tempura and sushi should be fool proof i thought. if liddaat he also can say not nice, i might as well stay away form the kitchen liao. :embarrassed:

yakii

yummy!!
ya.. prepared with LOVE so must learn to appreciate.
must show this to hubby if he dare say not nice! hahahaha..

he always say i cook kanasai.. go out eat nicer and no need to trouble me to cook, sweat n wash. more of my cooking lousy until he buay tahan. hahaahhahha

but tempura and sushi should be fool proof i thought. if liddaat he also can say not nice, i might as well stay away form the kitchen liao. :embarrassed:
Ya got to show him this...that y whenever i cook my hubby will say nice...but then cos i onli make those that i can master well food and things he like to eat......ha ahaa But i think daddy play and important role in the family...cos my son will eat wat we eat and follow wat his daddy do...so whenever daddy say nice and enjoy..my son will do so..so role model at home is important

CanCanMum

Thanks for the invitation Cancanmum...but that weekend i cant cos my brother's wedding is on 18th March..so that is the last weekend to get prepared...*tired* Keep my inform if there is another one ya...will bring my son go..
okies babe~first one to inform u next time ....kekekekekkeke

rainypink

i thought so too, Cancan ma but apparently my friends are busy leh. haha..

eh, i got ask anyone interested in knitting.. where should i place this thread??

;p