Swaddle to sleep?

megtan

Any mummies still swaddle your babies to sleep after 2-3 months? I find that my son sleeps better when swaddle coz he very active and like to kick his legs and wave his hands even when sleepy and as a result can't fall asleep. The moment I swaddle him, he falls asleep.

But SG weather very hot so I use the normal muslin cloth to swaddle and as he gets bigger and more active, he will struggle and break free sometimes in middle of his sleep and even cover his face!

Will using swaddle hinder his motor development? And what type of swaddle to use to avoid overheating? I'm thinking of getting those oversize muslin cloth.

allycat

I let Quan sleeps on his tummy sometimes. He can sleeps more soundly as compared to sleeping on his back.

shiyi

my girl can only slp with her hands over her head.. so if swaddle can only wrap from the body down

Phoebii Cheng

For me after the 3rd mth, stop swaddling my son....but yes like diymummy says, you can put your bb to sleep on tummy

apollo

i only swaddle ds for 1 week. cos he dun lik to be swaddled and my pd said dun keep swaddle him as SG weather is v hot and must let his hands n legs out to 'exercise.. and my mum also feel tt we shdnt swaddle him for long..

megtan

Tried putting him on his tummy but he keep wanting to lift up his head, then no strength already start protesting :embarrassed:
Then tried again when he's drowsy, fell asleep immediately, but woke up after 30mins, keep lifting head again.
If swaddle, sometimes he can sleep for 1-1.5hr. Some days he really naps very little in the day time, only 3hrs in total. Is it normal?

Tarbe

I let my gal sleep on her side hugging her husk pilliow in the day. She can nap for a stretch of 3 hrs this way.

baby_elmo

we swaddle our gal at night since born till about 3 months. It allows my gal to sleep for longer hours (4-6hours) if without swaddle, she will wakes up easily.

:red:we use a baby fleece blanket to swaddle her - more stretchable than cotton blanket.

Mummy to Baby V

My boy was a high-need baby regarding sleep, kept waking up and needing to be rocked or nursed to sleep. He slept better with a swaddle and was swaddled until 6.5 months when he weaned himself from it.

He gets warm easily too, so I dress him lightly (sleeveless in day, short sleeves romper at night) before swaddling. We sleep in air-conditioned room.

Swaddling may restrict motor development, so we managed that by giving him lots of tummy time, and motor play once he wakes up. He reached his milestones of rolling over, crawling, standing and walking all early or on time.

2 swaddled that we used are reviewed at Kiddopotamus SwaddleMe | and Bumble Bee Swaddle Blanket |

When he was young, we tried letting him sleep on tummy. But he kept digging his head down onto the mattress, which was dangerous, so we stopped that and continued swaddling.

At about 9 months old, he wanted to sleep tummy down and could keep his head sideways, so we let him be.

megtan

My boy was a high-need baby regarding sleep, kept waking up and needing to be rocked or nursed to sleep. He slept better with a swaddle and was swaddled until 6.5 months when he weaned himself from it.

He gets warm easily too, so I dress him lightly (sleeveless in day, short sleeves romper at night) before swaddling. We sleep in air-conditioned room.

Swaddling may restrict motor development, so we managed that by giving him lots of tummy time, and motor play once he wakes up. He reached his milestones of rolling over, crawling, standing and walking all early or on time.

2 swaddled that we used are reviewed at Kiddopotamus SwaddleMe | and Bumble Bee Swaddle Blanket |

When he was young, we tried letting him sleep on tummy. But he kept digging his head down onto the mattress, which was dangerous, so we stopped that and continued swaddling.

At about 9 months old, he wanted to sleep tummy down and could keep his head sideways, so we let him be.
I have the Kiddopotamus SwaddleMe as well, but my son has outgrown it. He managed to squeeze a hand and leg out somehow:err: .

What I do nowadays, is to let him hug his husk pillow one hand, and the other hand press down with a cotton blanket (a bit heavy for him to lift up). So far it works and he sleeps more peacefully. He also likes to snuggle up to the cotton blanket maybe coz got my smell :001_302: (I hug it before use).

Mummy to Baby V

I have the Kiddopotamus SwaddleMe as well, but my son has outgrown it. He managed to squeeze a hand and leg out somehow:err: .

What I do nowadays, is to let him hug his husk pillow one hand, and the other hand press down with a cotton blanket (a bit heavy for him to lift up). So far it works and he sleeps more peacefully. He also likes to snuggle up to the cotton blanket maybe coz got my smell :001_302: (I hug it before use).
SwaddleMe comes in sizes, my boy used the Large till about 9+kg. I thought the leg pouch keeps the legs in very well? Ha, you have an active baby! :)

If using pillows and blankets for young babies, be sure to watch their safety. There are baby-safe blankets and pillows with lots of holes.

MomoMummy

Actually i swaddle my girl till she was 8 months!
i was like u very worried cos she is a super active baby. we can try for hours not swaddling her but she juz could nt sleep. im only using a napkin to swaddle her. impt is her hands.

on her 8 month the exact day, she juz didnt wan to get swaddled anymore n kept forcing to get out of it.. it was difficult bt she slept cos she was v tired already.
it was worst for me cos we are in msia for the cny. addition to the firecrackers and fireworks all through the night... she kept waking up after 3 hours. last through the whole 2 weeks when im in msia! :( & nobody can help me look after n i dun get to sleep during the day too.. cos she kept crying when pple carry her. Not familiar with the place...

if u realli wanna stop, guess u had to b strong not to use the swaddle blanket anymore. if can throw it inside the garbage bin! so no matter what u had to let yr baby sleep freely.
once she is tired she will zzz... but will take few days or weeks to let her get use to it. so have to tahan. soon she will learn to sleep freely.
now my girl roll here n there.. stand up play make herself tired she will auto roll until super shag she zzzzz...

Mummy to Baby V

Momomummy: Wah, 8 mths old! :) After weaning himself off the swaddle, my boy must sleep cuddled right next to me or ON me, treats me like his pillow / bolster. Haha...

For gentle weaning off swaddle, can try swaddle with one hand out, then both hands out.