teach him a lesson?

littlerat

my little one is two and half month now,and he seems like to eat his hands very much and always put them into his mouth.My husband try to stop him by beating his hands.Every time he sucks,he beat his hands.He say after several times he will start to realise that its a bad habbit to do so.Just like train a dog.Is it a good way to train him in this way?And should we stop him?because i heard that sucking finger is the way that baby comfort himself leh.

January84

your bb is 2.5 months not 2year 5 months right?

if 2.5months, should not beat baby, cos they need to suck their fingers to explore then they know its fingers. Get a parenting book and u will learn alot.

u can check with your PD too. these are their growing up stages.

at 4 months, they will explore their feet.

daddysg

Alpha Male
haha..i sucked my thumb last time too when I was 2 years old. My parents didn't beat me.. I just outgrew the habit eventually..

CanCanMum

my little one is two and half month now,and he seems like to eat his hands very much and always put them into his mouth.My husband try to stop him by beating his hands.Every time he sucks,he beat his hands.He say after several times he will start to realise that its a bad habbit to do so.Just like train a dog.Is it a good way to train him in this way?And should we stop him?because i heard that sucking finger is the way that baby comfort himself leh.
2.5 months is too young....its about time for them to explore their fingers thumbs etc.....my boy used to do tat during 4m but eventually they will outgrow it.

ermmm...no use beating them coz they dont noe oso...too young an age....its part and parcel of their developmental milestone......

daberdew

2.5 months is too young....its about time for them to explore their fingers thumbs etc.....my boy used to do tat during 4m but eventually they will outgrow it.

ermmm...no use beating them coz they dont noe oso...too young an age....its part and parcel of their developmental milestone......

Yeah, agree. Unless they continue sucking their thumbs for a prolonged period, you may then deduce that it is a bad habit. At present, just let them develop at their own pace ba...

autumn82

My DS has been sucking his hands since he found them... Kinda worrying for me though I know it's part & parcel of growing up, but heard stories like children until Pri 2 or even older until they r adults! still sucking despite the parents tried all sorts of ways to kick tt bad habit but still failed. In the end, the child's 2 front teeth looks like the word "n"..

Hopefully my DS will stop sucking them after he found his long lost feet... LOL.

Lotus

At 2.5 months he's too young to be disciplined especially when he's learning and exploring. If you're worried that he might start sucking his thumb give him a pacifier. My son from day he was born until 18 months sucked his finger, but only to self soothe to sleep, but now has outgrown this habit. I worried that he would be 6 and still sucking finger.

Also I think your husband needs be aware that your son is not an animal and can not be trained like one.

CanCanMum

talking about this my DH was v harsh on my son oso when he was a baby.....oso like littlerats DH will beat my boy when he sucks thumb....worse is he hates pacifiers and will spit it out. Most of my boys infant pictures are proofs of him sucking thumbs!!!! Jialat!!!

it depends on individual but partners canx really interfere much on disciplinary methods or will lead to arguments soon enough.

for a start 2.5months is definitely too young to discipline, u can save it for later on coz at 3 years old its time to start on serious discipline....like mine now....

littlerat

talking about this my DH was v harsh on my son oso when he was a baby.....oso like littlerats DH will beat my boy when he sucks thumb....worse is he hates pacifiers and will spit it out. Most of my boys infant pictures are proofs of him sucking thumbs!!!! Jialat!!!

it depends on individual but partners canx really interfere much on disciplinary methods or will lead to arguments soon enough.

for a start 2.5months is definitely too young to discipline, u can save it for later on coz at 3 years old its time to start on serious discipline....like mine now....
Ha ha..total agree with u!:wong25:And my boy hates pacifiers too.Ya lor,that what i told to my HB,he is too young and knows nothing.But he always say,if he knows nothing,how come he knows breastmilk is better than formular?(because my boy hates bottle feed and like my breast so much). He is so Kam Cheong to teach him right from wrong. I think before he teachs my son a lesson, i better teach him a lesson first:Dancing_wub:

elmo168

Agreed with January84. If your baby is 2.5mth, you shouldn't stop him from sucking their finger. He is still little and he just found out that he has a finger and he is exploring and try to accept that fact that the finger and hand belong to him.
Try to recall or watch him closing and you will realise that he is staring and admiring at his own hand or already done so without you noticing it. You might have miss the moment of him staring at his own hand. It is very cute. He will raise and stretch out his arm infront of himself and stared at it while turning the palm slightly.
The next moment will be to put his thumb into his mouth. It is part of their growing schedule. Forgot the official term, something like fine motor.
After the thumb, it will be 'Yoga'. He will realise that he have a pair of leg too and he will start to take his leg and want to suck the toe this time.

Just relax and enjoy the moment. Get yourself a good parenting book on different stages for baby and you will know what they do is nature.

If you baby is 2.5yr then you really have to stop him from sucking his finger. It is a bad habit and not hygiene.

your bb is 2.5 months not 2year 5 months right?

if 2.5months, should not beat baby, cos they need to suck their fingers to explore then they know its fingers. Get a parenting book and u will learn alot.

u can check with your PD too. these are their growing up stages.

at 4 months, they will explore their feet.

elmo168

I start to discipline my son when he is scratching his ear. Old ppl believe that when a baby start to scratch their ear when you talk to them, it means that they understand you. I saw in the TV that baby as young as 18mth can know the logic. My son know who to go to when he got a scolding from his aunty when he don't behave. Watch them carefully, they are searching for their guardian angel when they got a scold from you. they are not stupid. Like my colleagues always said. My son is mischievous only when the daddy is home.

Endoh

Alpha Male
My late grandma told me I used to suck my thumb... until one fine day someone put chilli on my fingers. WTF! No wonder I don't take spicy food very well now that I am all grown up.

littlerat

Ha ha,i think it is really fun that babies have this kind of behavier.And last time I tried to put his feet into his mouth for him to explore.But seems he cannot reach ha ha.And my HB didn't beat him after reading these,instead, he encouraging him!

DodoTan

even though it seems disgusting, it's important for kids to suck on their hands and fingers. First they're learning to put their hands and fingers into their mouth then they can learn to put other things into their mouths. My son has taken to look at his fist or toy, then open his mouth wide, aim at his nose then slide it down into his mouth. It's really cute. Recently, he's trying to put things directly into his mouth without sliding and its a bit like aim and shoot. More often than not, he'd miss and end up 'stabbing' the sides of his mouth. :)

estherlin

i heard tt sucking finger is a way to comfort himself, as in his way to feel safe. So dun try so hard to stop him and moreover he is 2.5mth too young to beat. things will get better as he grows older. If u r saying abt 1yr +, den u got to train him. at diff stage they will suck or put their fingers into their mouth for various reasons.

Like mine now is doing tt after stopping for sometime, is due to his teething, so if he has nth to beat on, he will put his fingers in. Is kind of bad, but can u imagine the pain when the tooth is forcing out from the gum....:embarrassed:

elmo493

Can't remember the pain of the tooth forcing their way through the gum. But is it really painful???

i heard tt sucking finger is a way to comfort himself, as in his way to feel safe. So dun try so hard to stop him and moreover he is 2.5mth too young to beat. things will get better as he grows older. If u r saying abt 1yr +, den u got to train him. at diff stage they will suck or put their fingers into their mouth for various reasons.

Like mine now is doing tt after stopping for sometime, is due to his teething, so if he has nth to beat on, he will put his fingers in. Is kind of bad, but can u imagine the pain when the tooth is forcing out from the gum....:embarrassed: