Teaching AT Home -How to begin?

CanCanMum

Am looking at teaching my boy at home.

Any ideas how to start?

Based on wad kinda books?

Coz he is too free on weekends, now school holidays,....think its time for him to start learning...

And oso how to keep him "still" so tat he is not distracted easily...

Was thinking of using picture books or narrating....wad else???

Really hard to be a "teacher":tlaugh:

Serene1677

Am looking at teaching my boy at home.

Any ideas how to start?

Based on wad kinda books?

Coz he is too free on weekends, now school holidays,....think its time for him to start learning...

And oso how to keep him "still" so tat he is not distracted easily...

Was thinking of using picture books or narrating....wad else???

Really hard to be a "teacher":tlaugh:
Last time whn my DD is younger i bought afew colour whiteboard maker & a whiteboard.

Start with simple Letters first, i write and read to her then i make her write and read to me, do it for like aweek(or 2 weeks), them ur DS will write & read by itself. (But i must be with him always)

If you are using Assisment books as school holidays homework for him is Good also, Lastime, when i first bought an New book for my DD, i will not teach her 1st, i will put the book , colour pencil and pencil on the table dan i tell "Do it", then i will walk off, after 30-45mins i went back to her, dan i see her Level is until where by looking at her work, dan i wil correct her if is wrong and of cos if she did well...must say her "Wow, clever girl" <---(She like to listen):001_302:.

For me, i will throw a New book to her 1st, see how can she do, WHEN WE ARE NOT AROUND , and correct her mistakes, dan she wil be more hardworking doing it, after afew time more she can do it better without my guide.

:shyxxx:Hehe..This is how i teach my gal @ Home.

CanCanMum

thanks serene1677,

so far my son is only interested in colouring books and those picture books.

think the whiteboard will be interesting - like a teacher!

assessment books - errm..for preschoolers? He canx really write v well yet leh only loves to colour...

he told me his assessment book in playgroup was helped by teachers....some of it he din do....

Serene1677

thanks serene1677,

so far my son is only interested in colouring books and those picture books.

think the whiteboard will be interesting - like a teacher!

assessment books - errm..for preschoolers? He canx really write v well yet leh only loves to colour...

he told me his assessment book in playgroup was helped by teachers....some of it he din do....
U're Welcome:001_302:

Ya..the Whiteboard method is good, He will think like its @ School!

By the way now Sch Holiday, make him colour 2-3pages & doing writin Letters 2-3pages per day, and you will see he will had improvement each day.

MUST Let him do, as they are now @ this age( Play everyday age):001_302:..They will be Lazy to do homework, sumtimes must force abit lah..

My gal is Lazy 1...but i tell her " Everynight daddy wants to see your homework book"..cos DH is the black face ma...so she will sure everyday AUTO take out her book to do herself..LOL~

:Dancing_wub:

January84

cancanmum,

1) start thru play
2) start with story books
3) flash cards and toys

don buy too high end stuff as children outgrown things quite easily,
as long as entertained and interested.

if your son like sesame street, buy him a education book with the charecters in it.

(i saw a sesame dictionary before, $14+ only) contents good too..,

CanCanMum

Hi Jan84,

So long neb hear fr u leh~

1) start thru play - he plays too muchie liaoz....scare i start thru play later become play with him le....LOLs
2) start with story books - do far he dun own any....dun noe wad books to buy leh. My childhood story books oredi out of production....
3) flash cards and toys - he got so many....

Wad story book u buy 4 yr kid?

He dun like sesame st, but he likes Thomas the train and barney...

CanCanMum

U're Welcome:001_302:

Ya..the Whiteboard method is good, He will think like its @ School!

By the way now Sch Holiday, make him colour 2-3pages & doing writin Letters 2-3pages per day, and you will see he will had improvement each day.

MUST Let him do, as they are now @ this age( Play everyday age):001_302:..They will be Lazy to do homework, sumtimes must force abit lah..

My gal is Lazy 1...but i tell her " Everynight daddy wants to see your homework book"..cos DH is the black face ma...so she will sure everyday AUTO take out her book to do herself..LOL~

:Dancing_wub:
YAYA!

his daddy oso the blackface one! LOLs

EnFlor

CanCan, your son is only 3yrs + isn't it ? Well, you can incorporate activities to develop his fine motor skills (eg: how he holds a pencil, if he can flip page by page) and gross motor skills (eg: catching a ball with his hands, make sandwich)

Don't overstress him too much by giving him work that actually suits older kids, unless of course you want to get him to start on DIY accelerated learning.

Also, there are a lot of websites that share teaching resources for pre-schoolers. Many are FOC, just print out or you just adopt some of the teaching strategies. Liddat, no need to spend $$$ on asst books at bookstores.

Last edited:

CanCanMum

Hi Enflor,

Yap he can hold a pencil well....and draws circles...can feed himself etc...quite ok la.

Not into DIY accelerated learning - too early or i dink too stressful.

I would like him to enjoy his childhood, not to study and study...

but most kids nowadays start learning early right?

just scared....dunno if kiasu or wad....coz all my friends start sending their kids to enrichment classes liao....den mine not even learning at home????

so my brother suggests tat i start teaching him at home....so just at a loss as to how to start.

Last time teach him as a baby ok la, but now he is not here not there...dunno how to teach oso....

Babydolp

I find nowadays Most kids start learning at a very young age. I think what is important now is to build-up motto skill and skill of everyday life.
They can also learn through play, art, music etc. (see which capture the kids attention)
Been a mum nowadays is really not easy..
Jia you...

DodoTan

If you ask me, don't over-do with the reading and writing and books-stuff. They will eventually be buried in them anyway. Teach them things the schools cannot. Teach creativity. Play lego or building blocks with them; make cookies and sandwiches with them; put up a play or concert with them; do papercraft to decorate the house for the holidays with them; bring them to the beach and make sand hills or dig a really big hole or a little river and fill it with water; bring them to the park or playground and observe the ants and birds and grass and tress...

CanCanMum

yeah i agree...eventually they will be stressed out by studying....Pri 1 to Sec 4....

Wad u mentioned was all i wished to do when i was a child!!!

babymoon

hey can can,
after your reach home already evening lor.. who is taking care of your son during day time? your mom? discuss with her the activities to let your son do and i have some ideas that you can get from my blog posts below.. hehe..

Mummy & Baby Moon At Home

If you ask me, don't over-do with the reading and writing and books-stuff. They will eventually be buried in them anyway. Teach them things the schools cannot. Teach creativity. Play lego or building blocks with them; make cookies and sandwiches with them; put up a play or concert with them; do papercraft to decorate the house for the holidays with them; bring them to the beach and make sand hills or dig a really big hole or a little river and fill it with water; bring them to the park or playground and observe the ants and birds and grass and tress...

free advise from cheecher! *write down write down*

babymoon

no use la, she is too lazy to teach....i oso dunwan to stress her...
then how? we working mom really got limited time for our kids.. sometimes just need to focus in too many things in one time. already multi-tasking.. :tlaugh:
I want to be a SUPERMOM!!!:red:

babymoon

i OSO dunno HOW leh!!!????
my way (during weekday):
~ after home relax myself and play with her with some of her favourite activities eg. cycling, puzzle, bowling, kitchen sets, story reader etc.. those activities are educated based and she can learn while playing.
~ then i need to do my IM stuff using my laptop.. but before that I will show her Baby Moon blog, tell her what is the new story inside and all your birthday wishes.. wowahhaa.. then also show her some youtube videos she likes.
~ i will then focus on my own work
~ before i go to bed, go sayang and hug hug her and get her change, wash face and brush her teeth.

weekend got more time so you can arrange yourself lah.. our kids still young. they are TODDLERS.. haha.. don't stress yourself and dun stress them..

hey, early reading is good.. let them have the reading habit by have a 5-10 minutes reading time a day.. newpaper, magazines, story books etc are good.. :tlaugh:

CanCanMum

Thanks to ALL BABES...

Anyway all your replies has made me inspired!

I will implement this " ONE NEW WORD A DAY" lesson to him...kekeke

Everyday teach him a new word.

Weekdays one word a day

Weekends two words a day

Den 365 x 1 + how many weekends x 1 = 400+???

I think he is enjoying it.

Yesterday teach him "Lunch" and "Dinner"

Today teach him 'Teapot"