Teaching your Kids

camom

Just curious, what % of the teaching materials you use do you DIY? How much time do you spend teaching them? Do you draw up a timetable with specific activities for each week or do you play by ear? Do you have a fixed timing each day for the lessons?

SH74

i let my child watch 'baby can read' discs since he's 3 mths old. until he managed to recognise n read d words, i do my own flash cards. other den dat, it's all fr tv disney channels n school. i dun draw up any timetable. too early for that.

i actu prefer teaching him watever is ard his surrounding den to use books n stuff. that means bring him outdoors every weekend.

Just curious, what % of the teaching materials you use do you DIY? How much time do you spend teaching them? Do you draw up a timetable with specific activities for each week or do you play by ear? Do you have a fixed timing each day for the lessons?
Hi camom,
I use Leapfrog's DVD Letter Factory to teach my daughter (2 yr 3mths old) letter sounds. It's very good coz she is able to pick up all the sounds for each letter in the alphabet in less than 2 weeks. As they use uppercase letters, I get her to match lowercase letters with the uppercase letters using ToddleWrite cards (this can be DIY) through games. Other than that, I read books to her before bedtime. In between, I read to her the ladybird series.

The Letter Factory is about 35mins. The matching of lowercase and uppercase letters and reading only takes about 5 mins each. I try to do all every weekday tho sometimes I do not follow through with all as I do not have a fixed timetable. However, I usually stop the teaching before she wants to stop so that she wants to learn each time.

For maths, I only teach her to count. Hubby plays the abacus with her to slowly get her to associate quantity with numbers. But this is not everyday. Only once a while. But whenever we are out, we get her to count things together with us e.g. steps, birds etc.

I downloaded 3 progs in my Iphone for my daughter coz she is always playing with it. The progs are 123Counting, ABC Tracer and Shapes. I feel that she learns most thru these applications as it is always her own time own target kinda thing.