To buy breast pump or not

Hi all,

I am due in 9 Mar (which is soon...). I have been debating whether to buy a breast pump now or after I give birth.
My concern is that if I buy now, it will be a waste if I don't produce enough breast milk...

Appreciate all experienced mommies to give your input. Thanks! :)

flowerii

Hi all,

I am due in 9 Mar (which is soon...). I have been debating whether to buy a breast pump now or after I give birth.
My concern is that if I buy now, it will be a waste if I don't produce enough breast milk...

Hi Lavenderly, I'm due in May and I've decided to get a pump before i give birth so i'll have the mindset not to waste that $$ and will pump diligently. Read online that to establish breast milk, one has to be really diligently to pump/latch regularly even if initially there's not much or even nothing. So i'll use that as a motivation. Hope it helps.

diza

If u plan to breastfeed, get a pump. Like what flowerii mentioned you need to be diligent in pumping and latching. I'm using the pump to stimulate more supply and to store BM so that I can still cont to BF my son.

soapsoap

If u intend to continue after u start work, consider to get a double pump to save time.

I have the same thinking also, If really Wan to breast feed invest in a good one just before u deliver, If not after baby is born u will not have time to shop for one

MarieYeo

Hi!

A gd pump is a good investment, I got my supply going for my 4mth old n still have gd supply.

I bought mine after consulting the LCs on a good n suitable model as I had latching problems...pumps can be costly n many brands/models r available with many different features so do check n find a suitable one 4 ur needs.

Jojoai

Yes yes yes !!! Quickly grab them cheap at baby fair in expo tomorrow !! If you want excellent flow of bm must buy !! 1st few days after birth I pumped every 2 hours feed every 3 hours in the end I over supply !!! But more is better than less correct ? :) so get one !! And if you're like me having short nipple problem you really should get. 1st 3 months exclusive pumping. Now can finally latch ! It's better to buy auto pump too !! You will be more comfortable. And successful in breast feeding !! A lot of my friends have up when they bought manual. And it's a once in a lifetime chance to give them the best milk. Why not !! Once you've given up its hard to go back ... ESP if you going back to work you can save more time with auto. And your hand won't hurt ! :) just sharing what I think and experience. Hehe. All the best mummy !! And congrats to you !

Qookie

You can buy a manual pump first (they are much cheaper). And if you realise you need a better pump after you give birth, you can get it from the shops. You would then be able to actually test the pump at the shop! :) Maybe right now you can do some research online to see which models you prefer so that when you need to buy, you know exactly what you want.

That's what i did by the way. And i pumped exclusively for 7months (phew!). Haha. Good luck! :)

princessmom

Hi all,

Hi Lavenderly I have a brand new never used before advanced pump in style electric dual pump from medela for sale. I bought a new pump for my second child so I can leave my old one at work and not carry everywhere. But one month down my exclusive breastfeeding life ... I am down with infection and mastitis. So had to stop. I am selling it for $400 with full accessories. It is carrier bag model import set from USA.

If you are keen email me Tiffany.wongtt@gmail.com.

I welcome other enquiries too.

And breastmilk supply will come with determination so don't worry. I express out exclusively for 8 months for my first child.

Mreow Mreow

Hi there.

My view is different!
U can buy later after birth!

Well, I bought my Avent single electric & till now ive not used it!
Ive been direct latching my baby gal since she's born in dec12..

So far doing very well.
Cuz ive been latching on demand when she was a newborn. So supply came in.

In my opinion, u should get a pump if u wanna bfeed but u can get after ur delivery too.

If u r planning to work after then a pump is essential.
Myself, im not working so I dont see the point in using my pump yet.
Perhaps in afew months I'll use it..
Only when I plan to go out w/o baby!!

Mreow Mreow

And do watch out for over pumping.

Don't have over supply.
Juz a little more than wad u need is good enough. Oversupply increases risk of mastitis and it's more trouble for mummy too.

Haf to keep finding tym to pump to empty breast if not you'd feel discomfort!!!
If u don't, you'd get mastitis!

unheardof

Yes, i suggest to buy first and bring to hospital, else you can rent in the hospital. I was having low milk supply and i suspected it was due to insufficient demand from the start. For my case, the hospital did not bring my baby in as often, it was as long as 4-5 hours for 3 days. I did not pump and i guess that could be the reason, my supply came really slow and insufficient....

MarieYeo

Hihi,

you can stock up the milk in freezer if you hav excess ( haha i think oversupply can bf longer, but you jus need to wean slowly n gradually...get lactation help if required or confused( haha like me coz im a 1st time mom n had loads of issues in my first weeks)if you stick to recommended pumping frequency/ length of time then all shd be ok until u plan wean off, shd not over pump n get exhausted hehe...

I've been plagued by mastitis n it ain't caused by oversupply, reason is blocked ducts n factors which dr n nurses tell me is pretty much hormonal which Is unexpected but now I'm still expressing milk for my 4mth old n returning to work.

Don't worry too much n jus try to initiate a gd latch early, but pumping will help a lot if latching is hard, can rent in hospital ward 1st b4 buying. I use a manual pump occasionally for comfort expressing when really sore but usually stick to an electric double pump recommended by my nurse ... All e best! N glad you choose to breastfeed!

MsSaggi

If you planning to breastfeed, get one.
From my own experience, after I delivered, I thought I've got no milk so I just gave up & didnt thought of the pump I got.
As advised by the lactation consultant, I started pumping every 2-3 hourly other than latching on & my milk supply came in.