Toddler Tone Deaf??

jojoki

Hi my 19 mth old dd started "singing" a lot. BUt its totally tuneless!! does this means she is tone deaf? cannot anyone enlighten me.... thanks!! Both me n my hubby are very musically inclined and have perfect pitch.

AugBoyz

she is only 19mths, what do you expect from a 19mths toddler? A perfect tuned song or humming? Either you have too much a high expectation on your ger or you are doing unnecessary worrying.

nellu

Hi my 19 month old dear daughter started "singing" a lot. BUt its totally tuneless!! does this means she is tone deaf? cannot anyone enlighten me.... thanks!! Both me n my hubby are very musically inclined and have perfect pitch.
Hi

my hubby and I are also well educated in music and have perfect pitch. My 3yo also cannot sing in tune (but can follow if accompanied).

I think your expectation of your 19mo is very unrealistic. They will pick up the pitching when they are exposed to it and at the right age, when the vocal cords are properly developed they will get it.

at 19mo, she is still developing, both physically and cognitively, how can you expect her to sing in tune??

if you really want to train her, then just start exposing her to music as much as possible. Sing with her and encourage her to sing. That will definitely help.

here's a link for you to look at. hope it offers some ideas.

Singing in tune

stonston

My boy loves music and I exposed him to all sorts of music from young. He loved humming (but abit out of tune). He could only carry a tune properly at around slightly after his 2nd birthday. Till today (3.5yo), he still sings out of tune at times... depending on his mood! Sometimes it's deliberate to irritate me :p

However, he has very good sense of rhythm and could beat accordingly to what I show him since 15 mths old.

So don't worry. Continue with the exposure and she'll improve along the way!

FlyAcademy

Kids Go MAD.jpg

Wanna be the next SUPERSTAR?!
If your kid have always been interested in music, acting and dancing, JOIN US NOW!
Kids Go MAD allows your kids to build their confidence while giving them a taste of music, dance and drama.
In 2 days, your child will learn the basics of performance in a safe, creative environment.

Trainers: Nikki Muller, Amy Cheng & Jill-Marie Thomas
Date: 18th AND 19th June 2014
Time: 9am - 4pm
Ages: 6 - 12
Price: $490

*10% for sign up of 2 or more
*15% for sign up of 4 or more

For registration or enquiry email: academy@fly.com.sg
Visit Fly Academy