Too little weight gain during pregnancy?

Katemonaco

Hi all,

I went for my gynae visit this morning and found out that I only gained 600g this time round. A month ago, I gained around 1 plus kg. I also did some calculations and found that I gained 7 pounds so far for my pregnancy and it is low on the weight gain pregnancy chart.

Any mothers or mothers-to-be with this problem?

I'm week 24 now. Thanks!

++eLaiNe++

did yr gynae sy anything abt not gaining much weight?Actuali I'm 25weeks plus now and I did not gain weight at all..I'm still in my pre pregnancy weight..my gynae did not say anything and I guess if our baby is growing well den should not be a problem ya?

Phyllis15

My boy is 6 months now and throughout my pregnancy with him, i only gain 5 kg and he's born 3.3kg. Ultimately, the focus should be on the baby's growth and not on the mummy's weight gain. Hope this helps.

kchiah

Hi all, i m now 21wks preg, from my 1st visit to clinic untill my last visit 2wks ago, i gained only 300g, but my baby boy was 350g at that time. Next visit i must ask my doctor already....I m wondering is it because of my diet? I normally drink some nutrition breakfast in the morning (actually very late at 10am or 11am because wake up late), then eat porridge or soup noodles at 2pm, then dinner at 7pm, other than that, i eat some fruits and just honey or plain water.....

Mummies maybe u can share your diet during ur preg....

Katemonaco

Looks like quite a number of mummies to be are not gaining much weight. My gynae asked me what happened this time and she said that perhaps I will gain more weight the next time I see her. But that is in a month's time. I'm just worried about fetal development.

Due to the loss of appetite during my pregnancy...i lost 1kg every time i went for check up instead of gaining...until ard 5 or 6 mths, my gynea told me to eat more as the scan shown tat my baby was under nourished. I tried, & finally gained back to my pre-pregnancy weight...until my last trimester, i gained back my appetite...so during my last check up which was my 40th week, i gained abt 2 kg....my baby came out 2.7kg. :p

Mummy to Baby V

It also depends on mummy's pre-pregnancy weight: under-weight, average or over-weight.
I was underweight, and lost 2nd in first trimester due to vomitting.
Eventually, gained another 10kg. Dr said for my size, gaining 10-12kg is ideal.
Baby was born 3.5kg.

Katemonaco

It also depends on mummy's pre-pregnancy weight: under-weight, average or over-weight.
I was underweight, and lost 2nd in first trimester due to vomitting.
Eventually, gained another 10kg. Dr said for my size, gaining 10-12kg is ideal.
Baby was born 3.5kg.
Yes, I started off average weight and read in books that I am supposed to gain between 25 to 35 pounds and have only gained 7 pounds so far at week 24. But every pregnancy is different so I will not stress out over this. Thanks for all the comments:)

angiebaby

haiz....im only 9 weeks now and im 3 kgs more than before im pregnant, without morning sickness and im eating more and more, guess i will be over weight soon.

anyway, a little tip from my colleague just finished her baby leave and back to work yesterday, if you want to gain weight for your baby ( not you ), eat a lot of durian, as they are high in sugar and fats, her 8 month check gynae said her baby is under weight, altot she hates durian, but she force herself to eat everyday, and one month later (9 months ), the gynae check and baby weight surprisingly gain 1kg, thats a lot for a baby ( within a month time ).

just to share with you.

i think mom's weight not really important, but if you always weight the same, means baby growing but you are getting slimer and slimer, which is clear sign of under nutrition, i know a lot of mommy want to keep a healty diet but the usually healty diet might not enough for two, so why dont give exception at pregnancy period, eat more meat and fats and you are not the only one who need it, but your baby also.

i watched documentary TV program that under nutrition baby will have weaker reproduction system, means they will give birth of unhealty baby and this is result of lack of nutrition when they still inside mom's worm.

evie

Intially I started off with an average weight... my morning sickness prevented me from gaining wt till I was 10 weeks preggie.

I have put on 12 kgs and now I am into my 25 th week ... seems like too much.
My gynae is telling me to cut down on carbs and watch my wt closely...
In fact, I used to eat so much more before I was pregnant... My hubby jokes it's "my punishment" for eating too much in the past... haha
while some of you find it hard to put on wt, I am struggling to chase the wt away... LOL

Ting

actually most of the weight gained will be towards the last 2 mths of the pregnancy. for the first 3 mths, i lost 3 kgs, then 2nd tri i only gained 2-3 kgs (which is back to my pre preg weight) only the last tri i gained 6-7 kgs. in total, i gained abt 9kgs for my pregnancy and within 2 weeks after delivery i lost 15kgs in total. actually dont worry too much, as long the doc says the baby is growing well, it doesnt matter how much weight u gain.

kchiah

actually most of the weight gained will be towards the last 2 mths of the pregnancy. for the first 3 mths, i lost 3 kgs, then 2nd tri i only gained 2-3 kgs (which is back to my pre preg weight) only the last tri i gained 6-7 kgs. in total, i gained abt 9kgs for my pregnancy and within 2 weeks after delivery i lost 15kgs in total. actually dont worry too much, as long the doc says the baby is growing well, it doesnt matter how much weight u gain.

wow u gained 9kg during preg time and lost 15kgs within 2wks after gave birth? How huh? Because of breastfeed or??? so good.....haha...

luvjoanne

i'm in week 22. i gained nearly 6kg. i gained 2kg till about 18 weeks, from then now, i gain abt 1kg per week! that's scary!!
but i attribute my weight gain to drinking fresh milk every night before i sleep. in fact, i eat about same amt, and i dun crave for fast food/fried food. all i want is soupy stuff (tom yam) and fresh fruits.. but still, i keep gaining weight. and if i continue to gain weight like that, i'll be a water barrel size by the time i reach full term!!

hopefully i dun gain more than 15kg by the time i reach full term. i wish i have ur problem haha.. by the way, try drinking more fresh milk. i think sure can put on weight.. and its healthier than eating durians as those are high in sugar, which might lead to gestational diabetes.

Katemonaco

Ironically my diet became more unhealthy ever since I got pregnant. I hardly ate fried food and meat pre pregnancy but now like fried food, especially french fries and really enjoy eating steaks and pizzas.
I wish I could drink fresh milk but I am intolerant to milk proteins. Perhaps I will gain more weight in my third trimester.

jypan83

Wow, I thought I'm like the only one who is gaining little weight. All my pregnant friends are gaining more than me. Even for my first pregnancy, I gained a total of 20kg. 4kg in the first 2 months and 2kg for subsequent months. My baby was only 2.2kg when she was borned. This is my 2nd pregnancy and so far, I'm 28 weeks pregnant but gained only 6kg in total. Hmm.... Ironically, I've been eating lots of chocolates and candies this time round.

tutumoon

im having my 1st baby and at my 26wk now.. and my weight is just my pre-preg weight.. my tummy is quite small though that i had to wear obvious clothing then people will let me sit in MRT :p
my recent checkup at 25wk baby weighs 760g.. everytime i ask my gynae if baby is too small, he said baby is growing well and not to worry... so i suppose everything's fine :)
during pregnancy, you don't need to eat double for 2, all we need is just an additional piece of bread equivalent.. and preggy has higher risk of gestation diabetes, so we should restrain and don't take too much sugar... remember to take in more calcium to build up baby's bones and try to take from natural sources instead of supplements unless prescribed by your gynae :) my antenatal class teacher says vanilla ice-cream can give us calcium but be careful of the sugar intake :)

eowyn

Ironically my diet became more unhealthy ever since I got pregnant. I hardly ate fried food and meat pre pregnancy but now like fried food, especially french fries and really enjoy eating steaks and pizzas.
I wish I could drink fresh milk but I am intolerant to milk proteins. Perhaps I will gain more weight in my third trimester.
Haha.... same here! I kept craving for fries and fried food too now that i'm pregnant!

apollo

as long as u're not losing weight, i think is ok. I even lose weight during pregnancy but baby was growing well inside. somemore u're gaining, just tt not as much as compared to the previous mth. =)

Mindyling

My most concern during pregnancy is my loss of 5 kg in the first trimester from 65 to 60kg. I was warded for HG (excessive vomitting) during my 10th week amd given the drip. Now in my 14th week and maintaining weight at 60kg, the latest scan shows baby is 7cm which is normal so im hoping that my appetite gets better into the 2nd trimester and the baby gets enough nourishment.

Thanks for all the advice. I kept worrying about my own weight and having seen the advice from other members I agree that the bottomline is if gynae says the baby is fine. I will check with her next time round. Thanks! :001_302:

babybull

I think if you start off at a healthy weight its ok to lose some during pregnancy, if due to morning sickness.

Baby's wellbeing may be affected if mother is underweight to begin with.

When I conceived my daughter back in 2009, I only weighed around 43kg. By end of first trimester, dropped to 40kg, but unfortunately the morning sickness didn't stop until after I delivered. Throughout the pregnancy I had to eat and eat despite the ms to put on weight cos my gynae said I'm far too thin (BMI only 16). By the time I reached 36 weeks, baby was measuring so small on the scans that my gynae sent me for yet another detailed scan - to ensure that everything is all-right. So everytime I went for a checkup he's always telling me to eat more, eat more.

Luckily she was born at full 40 weeks, 2.7kg.

This pregnancy, I'm now 21 weeks, have gained 1kg only... also slow weight gain due to severe ms. But should be putting weight on steadily now cos I'm gulping down a tub of movenpick every day...