Top PSLE results... by PRs?

Daddy D

Alpha Male
No offence to PRs... but I just find this trend disturbing... our local SG kids in our ELITE primary schools are losing out to PR (or new citizen) kids in neighbourhood primary schools.
From zero English to PSLE A+, within 3 years of primary sch education... most of our local SG kids can't even achieve this in 6 years!
With schools recruiting overseas scholars... and government attracting foreign talents... can't imagine what future lies ahead for our SG kids.
Only TIME will tell...

Top PSLE student from Qifa Primary

"The top primary six student this year is Qiu Biqing, 13, a girl from Qifa Primary School in West Coast, with an aggregate score of 290.
Her father, Mr Qiu Guo Hua, 45, is a research fellow at the National University of Singapore, and her mother, Madam Xie Xiaojin, 42, is a research assistant there. They both work in a physiology lab.
According to the Straits Times, she could barely speak any English when she moved here from China in 2006 with her family..."

channelnewsasia.com - Most of the top PSLE students from neighbourhood schools

"Six other top PSLE students are also from neighbourhood schools. They include South View, Greenridge, Gongshang and Rulang...
The 13-year-old had moved from Guangzhou four years ago with her family but she adapted to Singapore quickly. .
Biqinq will get what her parents have promised - a fun-filled holiday to Australia before starting school at Raffles Girls' Secondary next year..."

Last edited:

littlehelper

haha thats because they don't take what they have for granted and work very very hard to achieve better results than others.Though their linguistic skills may not be as good, they spend lots of time on things they can memorise and put it to good use during the exams, hence scoring high.
However many of the local kids here take the education for granted and the strive to achieve.

The girl who got the highest PSLE score in my school was a china girl.
She was super hardworking.Always seeing her working on her english during recess..

lizzy.liz

It's about mental focus. Our kids are too distracted with all sorts of tings... computer games for one. And parents nowadays tend to pamper kids too. by being over protective and over providing, our kids dont think they need to strive hard as they get bailed out by their parents most of the time.

Daddy D

Alpha Male
Quite true.... they say PSLE MAths very difficult... only SG parents complaining... n we have this china kid scoring A*....

Makes me wonder y waste time do parent volunteer in those branded schools... since the neighbourhood schools also producing top students now...

But how much of the success is from the school's effort or parent's effort or the child's effort?

Clover88

Daddy D, education fee is more expensive for non SG, thats why they take it more seriously and dont take it for granted.

I think the success will come from those three parties' effort plus tuition outside school cos sometimes school has limited time and access to teach each student each subject

tika

there should be a balance. all hard work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. i bet these top students are not socially inclined.

I personally prefer my child to be street smart than book smart.

TWO questions I wish to ask all parents....

what is your definition of 'BEING SMART'?
what is your definition of 'BEING SUCCESSFUL'?

RenLaoShi

Alpha Male
haha, it is quite normal now. They can get along well with local students. And we can't really tell they are not Singaporean. For my school, 1st is from Hongkong, 2nd from China, 3rd from Taiwan.... It is common now. The rest fight for the 4th position.

Angelmum

Quite true.... they say PSLE MAths very difficult... only SG parents complaining... n we have this china kid scoring A*....
DS A* :001_302: ... was worried when parents commented Maths difficult. Asked DS, he said he didnt face such problem. My nephew also A*.

Daddy D, education fee is more expensive for non SG, thats why they take it more seriously and dont take it for granted.
They came here to rec Sg education n want to go back earn more $/hold their heads higher thus had to make sure $$ not wasted here.

RenLaoShi

Alpha Male
They came here to rec Sg education n want to go back earn more $/hold their heads higher thus had to make sure $$ not wasted here.
haha, then shall we consider sending our kids overseas, too? but .... quite worried. why we are not as brave as other oversea parents?

Ting

i guess its the upbringing also laa.
send your kids overseas dun mean they will study hard.
honestly, most parents send their kids oversea uni cos either they cant make to SG uni or cos overseas uni more slack n less stressful.
my bf now in aust, he is working hard cos he is on schlorship, cant afford to fail any modules.
the rest of his frens, every night they will go out, n every weekend party like no tmr.
i know of some, go overseas just to play play, then fail alr just come back the parents continue to support..
maturity n mentality of the kid plays a big part too.

Clover88

i guess its the upbringing also laa.
send your kids overseas dont mean they will study hard.
honestly, most parents send their kids oversea uni cos either they cant make to SG uni or cos overseas uni more slack n less stressful.
my bf now in aust, he is working hard cos he is on schlorship, cant afford to fail any modules.
the rest of his friends, every night they will go out, n every weekend party like no tomorrow.
i know of some, go overseas just to play play, then fail already just come back the parents continue to support..
maturity n mentality of the kid plays a big part too.
Agree, Ting..
it happened to my brother and a cousin who have to work hard to succeed every subject to maintain the scholarship. Other relatives' children, just play play and play...

Ting

haha, then shall we consider sending our kids overseas, too? but .... quite worried. why we are not as brave as other oversea parents?
cos SG is considered safer than most countries, so different baa.
plus, many western countries r also racists, in sg, if racists will kena from government.

littlemoments

PRs come to SGP for a reason.
To earn and depart eventually.

Their children come to SGP for also a reason.
To get a good education, excel and depart to a good university in US, Aus, Canada, etc.

Their objective is different.