Total breastfeeding mommies

elaine01

Hi

My baby gal is 11mth old now and I have been giving her TEBM. I intend to gv her partial BM and so started introducing FM. But she doesnt like the taste of FM and have been rejecting milk. So, I mixed the FM with ser ome EBM and she doesnt mind.

My concern here is whether it is OK to mixed warmed EBM with FM in one bottle to feed baby. Will it compromise the quality and nutritional values of the milk.? My gal just refuses take a whole bottle of FM and this cant go on cos my supply cant meet her demand now. I am pumping 3 x a day and each time yield abt 3oz. Her daily consumption is around 17oz.
dont think it's advisable to mix EBM with FM. but can give in separately though.

elaine01

Dear Sleepymama,

How long do you take to pump per session and how much ?

Is it normal for EBM to decrease when baby is more than 24 months old ? Last week I just had this sudden decrease in EBM and am worried as to why this is happening.

If I try to add an additional pumping session (eg. 12 pm) between pumping sessions (eg. 10 am and 2 pm), I find that I can hardly collect any EBM at the 12 pm session.
my supply dipped once DS turned 6 mths & started on semi-solids. from 16oz a day to now 30ml a day! since baby starts on semi-solids, BM intake will drop & hence dip in supply.

Pink daisy

Hi Elaine,
Just wondering, do you supply your bb with formula when he's abt 1yr+?
My supply now depletes alot, despite the fact I bf him every 2 hrs now to increase it
Am worried he dun get enuf supply, so i try to give him formula bit by bit this pas few days
But the thing is he simply refused it! i ended up throwing it every day *sigh*
i've got abt 5 cans of diff brands open but he just sniff 'em out!
help...

elaine01

Hi Elaine,
Just wondering, do you supply your bb with formula when he's abt 1yr+?
My supply now depletes alot, despite the fact I bf him every 2 hrs now to increase it
Am worried he dun get enuf supply, so i try to give him formula bit by bit this pas few days
But the thing is he simply refused it! i ended up throwing it every day *sigh*
i've got abt 5 cans of diff brands open but he just sniff 'em out!
help...
express as & when I'm able to. bring EBM to nanny for her to accumulate the amount he needs.

past 12 mths, can offer fresh milk or baby juices. i started to give DS goat's milk. but he's still asking for BM after that. so i must continue to express for him. yes, i collect very little but give him whatever i have.:tlaugh:

xue-er

hello! I'm new :)
I'm also total breastfeeding my girl (except for the first few days after birth before my milk supply finally kicked in, we hv to mix a bit of formula to supplement then), its been 3months plus and I'm also expressing at least twice at work.

I'm currently down with mastitis :( :(
just seen GP last night and was prescribed some antibiotics and panadol and a cream to apply on the infected nipple (my girl somehow managed to "chew" a bit of my nipple off over time and i guess infection set in since I'm latching her every night else she won't sleep!)

does anyone knows whether is it still okie to give BM to baby now tt I'm antibiotics? I was prescribed erythromycin i think

AngelLove

express as & when I'm able to. bring EBM to nanny for her to accumulate the amount he needs.

past 12 mths, can offer fresh milk or baby juices. i started to give DS goat's milk. but he's still asking for BM after that. so i must continue to express for him. yes, i collect very little but give him whatever i have.:tlaugh:
Hi elaine01,

Just wondering what kind of fresh milk can we give to our breastfeeding child and can we also give full cream milk ?

eelynn

me :) still bfg 4 yo Javier and 2 yo Janelle. dunno when they will stop :p
wow... i really admire u all mummies who can bf for so long. i hv 3 boys. the first two boys i onli bf for 2weeks n they reject. i guess there isnt much supply frm me. my 3rd boy, i manage to bf for 6weeks den again not enuf supply.... so sad. hw did u mummies get so much supply? is there any special food to eat to hv more milk supply???? i hv tried papaya soup too but didnt really work.

ceshayne

me :) still bfg 4 yo Javier and 2 yo Janelle. dunno when they will stop :p

Hi mummies,

i'm a TBF mummy for my 1 yo boy Fabian..i latch-on directly since start till now.. any idea how working mummies continue their BF when start working again??I'm confusing of how i can start work and continue BF. My Boy doesnt like bottle.. But he knew how to use straw..

Any advise on food in-take to provide the best through BF.. I eat almost all food.. but will try taking spicy food directly before/after feed.. and is there any food that BF mummy cant take???

Hi bluechin,

how did you manage to BF your kids till so long.. Do you BF directly/through Bottle&cup???Will they ask you funny questions. or have funny behaviour when being carried by others.

Thanks in advance.

regards
Ceshayne

nicolelcc

My baby 9mth+ now.. fully breastfeeding for 9mth+ except for 3week that i taken strong antibotic bcos of mastitis. I having mastitis with pus when baby at 5mth old.. while taking antibotic I keep expressing milk and throw away in order to maintain my supply. Went thru a hard time for me anyway I enjoy BF...

sleepymama

Hi mummies,
i'm a TBF mummy for my 1 yo boy Fabian..i latch-on directly since start till now.. any idea how working mummies continue their BF when start working again??I'm confusing of how i can start work and continue BF. My Boy doesnt like bottle.. But he knew how to use straw..

Any advise on food in-take to provide the best through BF.. I eat almost all food.. but will try taking spicy food directly before/after feed.. and is there any food that BF mummy cant take???
Hi Ceshayne
My boy also rejected the bottle at first... so we gave him EBM by spoon! Gradually over time, he started drinking from bottle :) If your boy knows how to use a straw, ya why not give him EBM via straw? :)

On food, I avoid mainly caffeine... like coffee! I haven't touched a drop of coffee since I knew I was preggie with my boy! But I have recently started drinking tea though, albeit diluted tea! Hahha!

hw did u mummies get so much supply? is there any special food to eat to hv more milk supply???? i hv tried papaya soup too but didnt really work.
Hi eelynn
The 'trick' to getting more or maintaining milk supply is to KEEP baby latching on for all his/her feeds (before 6mths/start taking solids) AND to keep pumping at REGULAR times everyday :) As for food, fish & papaya soup seems to work for most mommies. For me, oat and banana worked a little at one time. The most important thing is not to go hungry, have your meals, drink enough fluids (at least 9 glasses of water/liquid per day) and don't go on any diet. You need to fill your body for it to be able to make milk :)

does anyone knows whether is it still okie to give BM to baby now tt I'm antibiotics?
Hi Xue-er
Answer is 'yes' :) Keep up with bfdg :)

:Dancing_wub:

snowbear

Hi, I've been total bfding - but fully expressed coz my dd refused to drink from breast - for 3 weeks now (dd was supplemented with formula at hospital).

but I've been in pain since i started bfding. My nipples have been sore and haven't got better, just worse. They were sore and then they cracked. And i get engorgement all the time! I just realised i got plugged ducts recently and i just saw the lactation consultant on tues to clear them - i actually think the pain is comparable to giving birth, was crying and screaming!

The lactation consultant taught me to latch bb again and i succeeded getting her to drink from my breast a few times before she rejected me again. She put up a fight and now i've got blisters on my nipples. I feel like i'm torturing myself every day and every time i pump. I cannot understand why anyone would enjoy bfding. It's so painful i can't really enjoy my daughter. Tempted to wean her off slowly but the guilt is killing me (but so is the pain). I keep crying when the pain and the guilt set in. sigh... what should i do? :(

Orange17

I'm still BF my son who jus turned 1 today. I enjoy BF him, very reluctant to wean. I'm now trying for #2, so may have to wean him if i need to, if not, would love to continue. I always love the BF time with him, jus me and him....

leaf

i bf-ed dd1 till she was 2 yo + when she self-weaned coz i was preggie with #2. now bf-ing dd2, with dd1 taking occasional snacks from me :|

eeshern

i am also 100% bf my child. At first the confinement lady forced me to give formula milk but after 2-3 weeks while she was ard i knew wht i wanted to do for my child and i kicked her out. Luckily my child could convert back to bf easily. Am happy tht my milk supply is enough for him.

sleepymama

Hi, I've been total bfding - but fully expressed coz my dd refused to drink from breast - for 3 weeks now (dd was supplemented with formula at hospital).

but I've been in pain since i started bfding. My nipples have been sore and haven't got better, just worse. They were sore and then they cracked. And i get engorgement all the time! I just realised i got plugged ducts recently and i just saw the lactation consultant on tues to clear them - i actually think the pain is comparable to giving birth, was crying and screaming!

The lactation consultant taught me to latch bb again and i succeeded getting her to drink from my breast a few times before she rejected me again. She put up a fight and now i've got blisters on my nipples. I feel like i'm torturing myself every day and every time i pump. I cannot understand why anyone would enjoy bfding. It's so painful i can't really enjoy my daughter. Tempted to wean her off slowly but the guilt is killing me (but so is the pain). I keep crying when the pain and the guilt set in. sigh... what should i do? :(
Hi snowbear

So sorry to hear about the problems you're encountering with breastfeeding. <Hugs>

I've given you my contact number via PM, feel free to call me if you'd like to discuss anything. I'll be glad to share my experience with you and what I've learnt through my breastfeeding journey. I also am prone to getting blocked ducts and had suffered two bad cases of mastitis.

My boy is coming to 27 months old in two days, and he was totally breastfed (EBM and latch-on) for 22 months. From 22nd mth, I had to supplement one feed, due to a bad case of stomach flu that caused my supply to plunge badly. From 25 mths, my supply continue to drop as I had to cut back from pumping twice, to once and finally none, due to work :( Now, I only pump once at night and he's on FM for about 90% of his milk intake. I should be 'retiring' soon from breastfeeding, as far as I can hang on!

Keep it up, things WILL get better!
Take care!