Total breastfeeding mommies

CanCanMum

Hi mummies,
I'm an Oct 08 mummy and total breastfeeding. Still new at this and got lots to learn. Currently, I have an over supply of milk and want to give away. What can I do?
Hi pamster,

Not sure how oversupply u are but as my autumn82 darlin~ suggested u can store some in fridge for just in case u need to travel for work or when u will not be around for a few days den yr caregiver can feed yr baby for u...best if u can pump at least a few months supply better still. BM if frozen can keep for a long time.

IF lets say your BM is really oversupply until whole fridge cannot take it den u can perhaps donate to those Premature babies in Neonatal ICU wards. Some need BM for the antibodies to survive. Not sure how to go about doing it but can find out.

pamster

Hi Cancan mum,
Thanks for the tip. I will call some hospitals to check whether their neonatal wards need the breast milk. My freezer is running out of space and I dun deep freeze my milk so I can only keep them for 3 mths. I direct latch my girl during the day and in the middle of the night I pump on the average 300ml. My hubby bottle feeds her once in the middle of the night and she drinks 100ml. I have more than enough supply for her even if I go out. Not going back to work yet so dun really need these excess.

CanCanMum

yeah please try....coz i ve heard some premature babies survived partly becoz of bm due to the nutritional value and antibodies it has....dun waste it....at the same time do a good deed...:p

mm45

Sorry to hijack this thread.
Does anyone have suggestions about how to store and transport breastmilk while travelling away from your baby? I need to travel for work in the near future. I hate to pump and dump for 4 whole days. Have hotels arranged for freezers? Or keep it frozen while you carry it home? Will dry ice work? Any suggestions/experiences much appreciated!

CanCanMum

yes!

Extracted from Breastmilk Storage Guidlines - Breastfeeding Accessories, Lanolin, Pumps, Nursing Pads, Milk Storage, Breastfeeding Information, Nurture Note, Lansinoh Laboratories

Breastmilk Storage Guidelines
  • Breastmilk can be left at room temperature (66-72°F, 19-22°C) for up to 10 hours
  • It can be stored in a refrigerator (32-39°F, 0-4°C) for up to 8 days
  • If you have a single-door refrigerator with freezer section, breastmilk can be stored in the freezer for up to 2 weeks (due to continous open/closing of freezer door)
  • If you have a two-door refrigerator/freezer, breastmilk can be stored in the freezer for 3 to 4 months
  • Deep freeze at constant 0°F (-19°C) for 6 months or longer

CanCanMum

for me last time, i bought a cooler bag with 02 icepacks inside, so tat it works like a portable fridge. Coz BM can be kept for 8 days in fridge (not frozen) so its still fresh when i brought them back.

Do not freeze the milk coz there is no way u can transport them back as frozen coz it sure will thaw in any portable cooler bags and once thaw cannot be refrozen again.

mm45

Thanks CanCan Mum for ur prompt advice! Did u use bottles or BM storage bags when u brought them back? With the strict airlines regulations banning liquids on planes, how did u convince the airlines to let u bring them on board? Really appreciate ur advise, cos tis is my 1st trip since i came back to work. Tks.

CanCanMum

orhh....mine was a bus trip to malaysia only. Not on plane :p

yeah i stored them in BM storage bags.

i think baby foods are permitted.

can check with airline company or call Singapore Airlines to check or ICA???

Extracts from SIA:

General Restrictions Various countries have implemented restrictions on the carriage of liquids, aerosols and gels in compliance with new guidelines set by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).

Examples of liquids, aerosols and gels include:
  • all liquids including beverages, soups and syrups
  • gels, including hair and shower gels
  • pastes, including toothpastes
  • creams, lotions and oils
  • contents of aerosol cans, including sprays, shaving foam, deodorants
  • mascara
  • liquid-solid mixtures
  • any other item of similar consistency
Note: The above items are some common examples and are not exhaustive.

The restrictions are as follows:
  • Liquids, gels and aerosols will only be allowed in cabin baggage if they are kept in containers with volumes of not more than 100 ml each.
  • These containers must be carried in a clear, re-sealable plastic bag. The total volume of the bag must not exceed 1 litre.
  • Each person is allowed to carry only one such plastic bag.
  • The bag must be removed from cabin baggage and presented to security personnel for visual examination.
Medications and special dietary requirements, including baby formula:
  • Are permitted in cabin baggage
  • Must be removed from cabin baggage and declared to security personnel at the checkpoint. These items may be subjected to security checks.
  • Customers with prescription medicine are advised to bring along supporting documentation (e.g. ID cards, letters from doctors) as verification.

Last edited:

woo22

Hi pamster,

Not sure how oversupply u are but as my autumn82 darlin~ suggested u can store some in fridge for just in case u need to travel for work or when u will not be around for a few days den yr caregiver can feed yr baby for u...best if u can pump at least a few months supply better still. BM if frozen can keep for a long time.

IF lets say your BM is really oversupply until whole fridge cannot take it den u can perhaps donate to those Premature babies in Neonatal ICU wards. Some need BM for the antibodies to survive. Not sure how to go about doing it but can find out.
i didn't know dat EBM got any takers! I just threw away abt 70pkts! (average 120ml each) :( so heartpain leh..then a few days after dat..due to my own carelessness..didnt close freezer door properly..threw away another 60pkts...very heartpain..hubby had to console me n cheered me up..i used the 2nd round defrosted milk to do foot bath!

now trying not to to store too much cos find it wasteful..currently enough to feed dd..she is 6mths old..but drinking little..but looking at her size n wet nappies..she is getting enough!

But if i can really donate the EBM..i dun mind donating. can i know where? or do i call each hosp to check?

wenz

i never BF my 2 kids before because my 1st one i was very young and dunno how and my 2nd one she refuse to drink BM but i'll like to try BF my 3rd baby after i gave birth, so 1 simple question i wanna ask is how do u all warm up BM after freezing? and putting into the fridge w/o freezing?

wenz

i just put the BM storage bag into a bowl of hot water to warm it.
so u pump exactly how much ur BB need in 1 bag and store in the fridge and when baby need milk just take out and warm it in hot water? even frozen BM also can be done like tat?

mm45

orhh....mine was a bus trip to malaysia only. Not on plane :p

yeah i stored them in BM storage bags.

i think baby foods are permitted.

can check with airline company or call Singapore Airlines to check or ICA???

Extracts from SIA:

General Restrictions Various countries have implemented restrictions on the carriage of liquids, aerosols and gels in compliance with new guidelines set by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).

Examples of liquids, aerosols and gels include:
  • all liquids including beverages, soups and syrups
  • gels, including hair and shower gels
  • pastes, including toothpastes
  • creams, lotions and oils
  • contents of aerosol cans, including sprays, shaving foam, deodorants
  • mascara
  • liquid-solid mixtures
  • any other item of similar consistency
Note: The above items are some common examples and are not exhaustive.

The restrictions are as follows:
  • Liquids, gels and aerosols will only be allowed in cabin baggage if they are kept in containers with volumes of not more than 100 ml each.
  • These containers must be carried in a clear, re-sealable plastic bag. The total volume of the bag must not exceed 1 litre.
  • Each person is allowed to carry only one such plastic bag.
  • The bag must be removed from cabin baggage and presented to security personnel for visual examination.
Medications and special dietary requirements, including baby formula:
  • Are permitted in cabin baggage
  • Must be removed from cabin baggage and declared to security personnel at the checkpoint. These items may be subjected to security checks.
  • Customers with prescription medicine are advised to bring along supporting documentation (e.g. ID cards, letters from doctors) as verification.
Just wanted to update that airlines do not allow BMs on board unless u r travelling with babies. u hv to check in the EBMs. Now the issue will be how to chk in EBMs. Prob frozen in ice bag like how some pple carry back frozen stuff from overseas. wonder if it's worth the effort.
:nah:

CanCanMum

so u pump exactly how much ur BB need in 1 bag and store in the fridge and when baby need milk just take out and warm it in hot water? even frozen BM also can be done like tat?
but hor, i realised those BM storage bags are too big....normally for newborns only need 2-3 oz mah....las time always end up storing v little into a big bag....

AngelLove

i'vr lasted for another mth of TBF although trying to cut down cos daily engorgement is not fun....

so made some changes to e list:

1. sleepymama - for 14+ months
2. stonston - for 8+ months

3. little_twin-stars
4. mommy dearest - for 5+ months
5. jlimdan - for 8+ months and my elder one still drink my bm.
6. dendenmushi - 14 mths
7. elaine01 - 21 mths & going..........
8. bluechin - still bfg 4 yo Javier and 2 yo Janelle. dunno when they will stop
:p
Any mums still pumping for child beyond 3 years old ?

whinypooh

Hi mummies!
I have been bfing my DS since birth.
Had even him FM ever before but now on TBF since he's 5weeks old.
now he's about 8months liao...:wong19: