Tuition Centre

rjk

Hello Mummies

Just wondering what are the important things you would look for in a good tuition centre?

Thanks.

group size, type of worksheets

also, the tutor

during my early tertiary days, i was "hired" by a tuition centre in tampines to give group tuition.

just anyhow photocopy pages from assessment books. get the kids to complete then send them home...

but of course, i cannot do that kind of things nowadays :p

then in my uni days, i was asked by a classmate to do "relief" tuition at a RC centre in pasir ris area.

the centre printed the worksheet , which actually was something like those "school exam" papers. Get the kids to do, then we went through the answers as a class.

the group was super big...like 32 kids...then it was noisy and some kids were just there because parents wanted cheap tuition and sent them there.

totally difficult to teach anything. so i think they didnt learn much also

Last edited:

rjk

Thanks for all the replies.

Am actually an ex-teacher and currently giving tuition. Kinda tired of going around esp when im so packed. Travelling from one place to another is pretty tiring. Thus im considering starting a centre and would like to hear all the valuable opinions from the mummies.

Last edited:

rjk

haha, my current students are those who are willing to pay so they much prefer the one-to-one basis...

i used to do one-to-one also...like you said very tiring ...plus i am a FT teacher...

now with baby coming, giving tuition would be much much more difficult.

how many children do you have? i don't think giving tuition is enough to cover my household expenses... but yet i do hope to have the "free time" for the baby... sigh

stonston

I'm also giving private tuition 1-to-1. will be starting a tuition centre soon.
there are centres tt run jus purely for profits, no QC on teachers and such.
a good tuition centre will not hestitate to show teacher's credentials to parents and they will limit class size.

my class size is very small, so everyone gets individual attention.

rjk

i used to do one-to-one also...like you said very tiring ...plus i am a FT teacher...

now with baby coming, giving tuition would be much much more difficult.

how many children do you have? i don't think giving tuition is enough to cover my household expenses... but yet i do hope to have the "free time" for the baby... sigh

Luckily for me, i've no kids and so i still have the time. Tuition is actually pretty much sufficient in a way and am wondering if starting a centre would be worse.

Last edited:

rjk

I'm also giving private tuition 1-to-1. will be starting a tuition centre soon.
there are centres tt run jus purely for profits, no QC on teachers and such.
a good tuition centre will not hestitate to show teacher's credentials to parents and they will limit class size.

my class size is very small, so everyone gets individual attention.
Congrats. Where would your centre be? Yes, I understand that. Many tuition centres out there are in just for the money not much of ensuring that the kids do well. Certain centres in fact run assessments for kids and reject them if they are not up to it. Think about it, then what is the use of having a centre?

Last edited:

stonston

Congrats. Where would your centre be? Yes, I understand that. Many tuition centres out there are in just for the money not much of ensuring that the kids do well. Certain centres in fact run assessments for kids and reject them if they are not up to it. Think about it, then what is the use of having a centre?
Punggol :)

concernedtutors

Alpha Male
Size of class, what is actually taught in class and the relations between the teacher and the student. Generally it is much harder for a teacher with a bigger class size to give as many of you have stated, individual attention. This is a crucial factor as usually kids have problems with their concentration.

It does not mean that one on one tuition is always the best solution, because that also depends on how good the tutor is on engaging with the student.

For tuition centers, talk to the teacher teaching the class and observe how the class is being held. Even from just looking at the outside, a good teacher will have the students concentrating on the board, not dozing off or going to "dreamland". A general proper class size would be around 5-8, anything larger would depend on the teacher's handling of the students.

P.S If you need 1-on-1 tuition, check my thread in the business section :), I'm also looking for tutors currently

yumiao

Hi
My primary 2 girl is very weak at her composition. Anyone know on the method to improve it. thanks
In order to improve the composition, you need a systematical way to teach. I takes months or even years. The school teachers are too busy and most of them have no planning for years. What they do is trying to cover the teaching task in that particular year.
In addition, your child need practise a lot. The simplest way is to write journal. You don't have to correct them all the time, or you better not do any correction at first. They must have the habit to writ and they must like to write first.

PrisTeo

Hi,

For composition, there's sentence construction, grammar and vocabulary to take note of. maybe you can buy some books for her to practice on these areas?

and every night, try to read some story books before sleeping? personally my experience with my children is that they learn more vocab from story books =)

wainoh

i believe how the tuition centres manage themselves are very important too. Word of mouth to a 32 student class is bad. Small group tuition and the teacher is very important too. I realise that many English teachers or tutors speak Singlish in and outside the class, how can anyone learn and write good english?

I have a contact for a new tuition centre for English class, small group thus dedicated attention to each and every student. Flexible time schedule and tuition too if you cannot make it to class. Teachers do not speak Singlish as they are Native English speaking teachers and do not charge high too. Reasonable rates with discounts for all courses enrolled.

Im not an agent for the centre, just helping out. Please email or reply to this post if you are interested.

wainh@hotmail.com