Tuition Necessary/Unnecessary

nretni

Hello Mummies!

Just curious, do you think tuition greatly improve your child's academic results?

Or should parents be responsible for their academic performance?

Looking forward to your views on this!

Chi

I believe it depends on the child. Some children prefers to study on their own, some want tutors. Parents' job is to encourage the child to study and give him/her the hunger for knowledge. Honestly you can't force children to learn anything. If they don't like it, it'll go in one ear and out the other. Some people are talented in other things beside academic studies. All in all, if your child says he/she can't catch up with school work and want tutoring, by all means go get one. You can always ask if he/she want tuition, if the child says no and you thinks it's necessary that he/she has extra classes, ask why the child doesn't want it. Then maybe you can know more about your child.

Just my 2 cents... I believe in the "you live, you learn" saying. I don't mind my child failing as long as she learnt something out of it.

sgtutor

Hello Mummies!

Just curious, do you think tuition greatly improve your child's academic results?

Or should parents be responsible for their academic performance?

Looking forward to your views on this!

Hello, I have had the priviledge of giving tuition to students from very good schools to your average neighbourhood school.

I would say, majority of students can benefit more from tuition. Although ideally education should mainly be part of parenting but in truth, there are many parents out there who are less educated, who understands the importance of education but are unable to guide their child in their academics.

Furthermore, Singapore's cost of living is very high. The responsibility of a child's education is a great one and it cannot be a "part time" responsibility. It is a full time job! It has to be consistent, well structured and sprinkled with a lot of innovation and motivation. Such a task should be better left to tutors/teachers but monitored by parents.

My humble opinions.

mosqeetoh

I feel it depends on the child and our parenting style. Not every child has the same studying habits. Some study better on their own! And u'd be surprised that some kids actually need more positive encouragement rather than tuitions. Always motivate ur child, even if he's weak in studies. It can take some time for us to know his style of absorbing knowledge. Some can read for hours, some only learn thru hands on.

Not to say tuition is unnecessary, many students can gain better results specially if u feel ur child needs it. Plus if we dun have the time to sit down and monitor the child, tuitions are great help!

Hi!

I'm not a mummy myself, but I am the head tuition coordinator of a tuition agency. I feel that children nowadays are very capable of self-learning, and just only require guidance from their parents/teachers/tutors. Unfortunately, many parents have work commitments and are unable to spend time revising with their child. I strongly believe that tuition should only be used as a guidance tool to teach vital learning skills, so that the child is not reliant on the tutor in order to do well. But if the child is performing well in school (getting As), I see little reason for parents to push their children further by having them go for extra tuition. If your child is coping well, let he/she learn more from different aspects in life such as sports or performing arts cca. Extra-curricular activities can be very useful in learning soft skills.

As busy as parents are, they should always spend maybe 30mins-1 hour of their day ensuring that their child is on track with studies. Just talk to them about their school as a friend, and find out where they need help in. This will help motivate children's learning and works more magic than any strict tuition schedule.

Hope I managed to help!

Feel free to visit my company's website at Perfect Score Tuition Singapore. We have some useful articles posted once in a while for parents.

Regards,
Jocelyn Chua