Type of water to let baby drink when travelling overseas?

nancy

I'm going on a road trip next week & am concerned on the type of water to feed my baby (6 mths old) with. I have been giving her cool boiled water at home but I dunno if I can trust M'sia water even if I boil them. Can I buy those distilled water from the supermarkets & let my baby drink instead?? Any other suggestion on the type of water I can feed my baby with?

apollo

u mean those bottle mineral water? dont feed baby those water. i dont trust all these..

maybe u can bring along some litres of cool boiled water there? very heavy i know but i think better than letti8ng her drink those bottles ones...

and if she needs hot water, mayb can just boil the water u bring along with the kettle provided there?

nancy

I have filtered water at home but I was told that it can only be kept for a day and it is advisable to change it the next day. Am thinking of bringing my small travelling kettle for the trip. I dun trust M'sia tap water and also the hotel kettle (mostly have rusty heating coil in the kettles)

apollo

I have filtered water at home but I was told that it can only be kept for a day and it is advisable to change it the next day. Am thinking of bringing my small travelling kettle for the trip. I dont trust M'sia tap water and also the hotel kettle (mostly have rusty heating coil in the kettles)
ehhhh... maybe u can get a small kettle, boil some water at hm 1st den bring along with u??

annie

is your bb taking formula? for me, my girl is taking breastmilk.. so i just bring as much water as i can but once finished i just give her milk.. no water nvm since got breastmilk...

Mummy to Baby V

I'm a Singaporean relocated to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. My 9-month old drinks some cooled boiled water daily, no problem. My family drinks filtered tap water too.

Getting a mini electric kettle is a good idea.
Perhaps get a portable water filter jug, eg. Hyflux, too?
Price is about S$20+. My mum is using one.

We won't feed baby with bottled water though.

Cheers,
Mummy to Baby V
Mummy's Reviews

nancy

I'm actually going to Sunway Lagoon for hols next week. My hubby just bought a travel cooker and a pot to bring there to cook for my girl (even though I already bought a few bottles of baby food to bring along). I just read from Young Parents Sep issue that stated that bottled mineral water and boiled water are better than distilled water for babies to drink. Will be bringing a small kettle to go there to boil the water.

NursMama

wahh... reading this thread is making me more anxious coz i'll be travelling to KL tmrw! :err: this will be my 7mths old baby's virgin trip away from home!

joeyz

I'm actually going to Sunway Lagoon for hols next week. My hubby just bought a travel cooker and a pot to bring there to cook for my girl (even though I already bought a few bottles of baby food to bring along). I just read from Young Parents Sep issue that stated that bottled mineral water and boiled water are better than distilled water for babies to drink. Will be bringing a small kettle to go there to boil the water.
I read from a baby book saying that parent shd not feed their baby with BOTTLE MINERAL WATER as baby lungs and organs are still building and may not able to absorbe those mineral into their body. Best is boiled water or RO water. :)

annie

yes babies should NOT be given bottled mineral water. i dunno till wat age but then imo, better not to give as far as possible. there are those baby bottled water sold in the market as well isnt it? can buy those since they can be kept much longer n should be safe since they are for babies? think they are called ion water or something like this...

joeyz

yes babies should NOT be given bottled mineral water. i dont know till what age but then imo, better not to give as far as possible. there are those baby bottled water sold in the market as well isnt it? can buy those since they can be kept much longer n should be safe since they are for babies? think they are called ion water or something like this...
Definitely a NO NO.. i have my fair bit of experience here. My hubby went to use bottled mineral water to mix with FM thinking that it was RO water, that day, dear son was behaving strangely and kept refusing to drink milk which is soo not him.. hubby said the whole day he only drank 360ml, only at night when dear son again refuse to drink thn i went to kitchen and found a bottled mineral water thn knw hubby been using that. We switched to boiled water and immediately dear son back to normal.. i was quite worried some of those mineral that dear son drank will it be harmful inside his body. Hope it will flush out like urine. :p

nancy

Wow! That is scary! Anyway I had just bought a travel kettle and will bring over to KL to boil the water for my girl. Thank you all for sharing the info with me :>

ochklk

We brought our son to Tokyo and Osaka when he is 6 mths old, we boiled the water in the hotel where they provide the airpot, he take the water no problem with it as Japanese dun drink boiled water, they drink bottled water.

annie

yea dunno y in japan we dun drink boiled tap water.. we drink mineral water. so u can often see ppl buying LOTS of mineral water (in cartons!) in supermarket... LOL. OR we drink purified water (purify tap water with those water purifier)

jasobias

we r now in usa..baby is 5 months old.For her meals i just give her filtered water fr the tap.Almost 1 month here n so far so gd.For milk i boil the filtered water fr tap..just enuf to heat it.

apollo

i'm wondering if can feed b aby distilled water lik ice-mountain?? or 'pack' singapore's tap water into bottles, go hotel boil?? lik tt the tap water will 'spoil'?? anyone knows??

jasobias

i'm wondering if can feed b aby distilled water lik ice-mountain?? or 'pack' singapore's tap water into bottles, go hotel boil?? lik that the tap water will 'spoil'?? anyone knows??
hahha..no lah water wont spoil.U can bring bigger thermos flask in ur luggage.Boil water one time n put in there.Can use distilled water.Me so lazy just use filtered water fr tap.Its ok one.