underweight toddler due to bfeeding?

shashachong

my boy is currently 14mths old. He was weighs 2.6kg when he was born and quickly gain weight in the first few month and his weight gains slows down after that, and since then he is always at the 10th percetile of the weight for his age. I brought him for his checkup last year and was informed by doctor that he is underweight and off the chart. He is currently 8.5kg only and the doctor mentioned that I should stop bfing him, as he is not gaining weight due to bm. Doctor also mentioned that there's no benefit to continue bfeed after he is 1 year old.
anyone had encountered the same problem?

is it true that there's no benefit to bfeed after 1 year old?

can someone share the wieght of ur bfeed baby at ardound 14mths old?

candy_ian

i am still bfding my son n he was never a big baby either. born at 2.95kg and now at 25 months he's only 12kg. he's always at the 25th percentile chart but i feel that hubby n i r not very big and he was never big. if he has reached milestones and u have been giving him a variety of food that he takes in all diff nutrients then there shouldnt b a concern.

Are u feeding ur child enough solid food? What the doctor says is partly true, breastmilk can't provide all the nutrients ur child need, now he should be getting 3 solid meals a day and breastfeed on demand, estimate about 3-4 bottles of 240ml milk?
My girl is coming 14mth and is 11kg. Her birth weight was also 2.6kg and she's on full bf.
This is her diet:
Morning:
1 bottle of breastmilk when wakes up.
Half to 1 slice of multigrain/ wholemeal bread depending on her appetite
She needs another bottle of milk to before her nap.
Afternoon
1 cup of pork/fish porridge with carrot/veg
Tea time
1 bottle of milk and snacks ( biscuits/ puffs/ cereals)
Dinner
1 cup of rice with veg n soup
1 bottle of breastmilk sometimes she wants another bottle at midnight.
I no longer latch on since she teethed so she's having ebm all the way.
Hope my info can help u, do seek 2nd opinion coz the paediatrician at KKH was happy with my child's growth while another paediatrician in private practice asked me to reduce my child's weight!
my boy is currently 14mths old. He was weighs 2.6kg when he was born and quickly gain weight in the first few month and his weight gains slows down after that, and since then he is always at the 10th percetile of the weight for his age. I brought him for his checkup last year and was informed by doctor that he is underweight and off the chart. He is currently 8.5kg only and the doctor mentioned that I should stop bfing him, as he is not gaining weight due to breast milk. Doctor also mentioned that there's no benefit to continue bfeed after he is 1 year old.
anyone had encountered the same problem?

is it true that there's no benefit to bfeed after 1 year old?

can someone share the wieght of your bfeed baby at ardound 14mths old?

shashachong

Hi Candy, thanks. Doctor says that my boy is not walking yet as he is underweight and i should stop bfeeding him, so that he gain weight and is able to learn how to walk. When did you boy starts walking?

shashachong

My boy drinks around 600ml of EBM per day, he would have cereal for bkfast and 2 meals of porridge a day... is that enough?

hpc

My grand-niece was pre-mature ,1 mth earlier than EDD,birth weight was 3kg.Full EBM now 9mths weighs 9.5kg,milk intake is about 5 bottles,180mls.I add rice cereal when she is 6 mths,now taking semi-solids.Intent to stop EBM next mth cos no more supply.

megtan

My son was 2.5kg when born (induced at 38 weeks due to my medical condition). Total bf, direct latch all these while. Now 16 months, process of self-weaning. His weight was 8.7kg at 13 months and 9.2kg at 15 months. According to his PD, he's considered 25th percentile and doing fine, just that he's a small size baby that's all. Started standing and cruising at 8 month and took his first independent steps just after 1 year old. He's very active so I guess not putting much weight.

I started him on solids since 6 month. He's now on 3 meals a day, with 300-400ml of fresh milk in total. Small breakfast of milk with bread/cereal/pancake, lunch usually porridge or mee sua followed by yogurt and dinner usually rice with soup or pasta followed by fruit. In between meals, snacks like cookies/cake. Since he's small size, he doesn't really eat much but I think should be sufficient.

Milk is still needed since he's growing but solids should be his main source of nutrients now. Breastmilk still good since got antibodies good for babies. I started dear son on fresh milk after 1 year old as he started taking more solids and much lesser milk (partial fresh milk and partial breastmilk when he wants to latch).

Probably can intro your son to more texture foods like pasta (those tiny ones) and slowly to rice? As he takes in more carbo, should drink a bit less milk (too much milk may affect appetite for solids) and possibly put on some weight.

I think different babies start walking at different age, 14 months still not too late. Has he started cruising? Probably you can encourage him with toys that encourage standing and walking.

I bring my son to play gym too, to help develop his gross motor skills.

Mummy to Baby V

I'm petite and underweight, hubby average build, son was born 3.5kg at full term.
Exclusively-breastfed by latching on, big appetite and was 10kg (90th percentile) at 6 months old.
After that, very active and weight gain slowed.
First steps at 12 months, walked well at 14 months.
Now, 27 months old, 13kg, about 50th percentile.

After 12 months old, most nutrients should come from solid food, with about 500-600ml milk a day.
Breast milk is still important for antibodies and DHA.
If possible, breastfeeding till 2 years old is very good.

I weaned boy off to fresh milk & yoghurt at 18 months old.
He has a good appetite since birth and eats a lot of solid food now.

Cereal and porridge are carbo. A good variety of vegetables, fruits, eggs and fish rich in DHA (e.g. Salmon & mackerel) is important too.

When cooking porridge and rice, I use multi grains (brown rice, millet, quinoa, oat groat, barley) which are more nutritious than plain rice.
For pasta and bread, I also choose those made of whole grains.

You'd also need to eat a varied and nutritious diet to ensure nutritious breast milk for your boy.

I shared my boy's 16-month schedule here:
Child-Led Schedule (16 Months Old, 1 Nap) | Mummy's Reviews

reginaluxp

Hi, my boy is also 14mths old. I stopped bfeeding him when he was 11mths. He started walking at 12mths 3weeks. Take afternoon nap once for about 1.5hr -2 hrs. Last visit to GP, doc also say he is abit underweight. But his intake is quite alot.

Morning: Cereal
Afternoon: Porridge
Tea: 210ml milk
Evening: Porridge
Before Bed: 210ml milk
Midnight 1 feed: 210ml milk.

I was introduce to giving him NaturCare Colostrum+DHA Chew since he was already 1 yrs old. After 3 weeks, I find that this helps to boost his immunity and he is more open to explore new things. Recently, i just took him to GP for his jab, and doc say that he weight gain is back to normal, so i have no worries. And he did not have any fever after the jab. I gave 2 chews per day. You may want to consider giving to your child. Its available in chocolate / vanilla flavour.

I am selling this product as well
1 bottle 120's: $63
2 bottle @ $126 + Free Gift + Free Registered Mail

You may want to see this link for more info and testimonial from other mummies who have brought.

http://www.mummysg.com/forums/f57/colostrum-dha-chew-healthier-kids-65682/#post534213

ast0212

Nah it's not to do with breastfeeding! Some babies are just small due to genetics. My son is nearly 14 months and is around 8.7kg and had been on the 3rd percentile for weight for many months. He has never been sick, even when me and hubby were sick recently, I believe breastmilk kept him from getting sick.

Breastmilk is so good for babies that we are encouraged by WHO to breastfeed for at least 2 years.

By 12 months babies are using a lot of energy walking/crawling, discovering new things, learning all about the world around them. If your baby is healthy, active and reaching most milestones, I wouldn't worry.

hpc

Babies are advised not to give salmon or cod fish when they are less than 18mths,cos fish oil from these fish are too rich for them .This is advised by PD,some babies are allery to fish.Mind can't take pumpkin,fish,wheat,egg.PD says try again she is older.She got rashes all over her face when she take all these food.So mummies take note of this symtoms when ur babies are introduce new items.

elaine01

I've been an underweight child since birth but since I grow up well & healthy, my mum isn't bothered by what my PD said. She also told my mum to give me FM but my mum insist to TBF me before she went back to work. It's your choice what is the next step to take.

My boy is going to P1 next year. Yes, he's still nursed to sleep every night. Daddy has been bugging me to wean him off & he be given FM before heading to bed but he only wants mummy's nen-nen. I'm just glad I came this far cos whenever he's ill, he doesnt gets drowsy & stays in bed all day. He don't even need antibiotics cos my breast milk is packed with the antibodies he needs to fight off the germs/virus in him. And he's never like the GP. He only wants TCM.....

ewcp

I breastfeeding direct latching my 10mth+ baby. She weights 11kg, more on a big side!
When she is 6mth, I introduce brown rice cereal to her. As she grows older, I cook porridge for her.
So I don't believe that breastfeeding baby is more on a smaller build.
Continue to breastfeed and give them enough solid food. As long as they are healthy, I think breastmilk still the best before 1yr:)

hpc

Eliane u must wean off before ur son goes to school.Ur son only wants to play n suckle for fun only.His body anti-bodies well bulit when BF first 8mths,after that whatever nutrients from BM is reduce,more solids should be introduce.U didn't know that u let ur boy suck,for so many yrs,u gets old n hargard very fast.Is very diffcuilt to stop him at this stage.My friend's son is also in the same situation.He suckle as and when he wants ,touch roll on breast till he sleeps till k2.When goes to p1 when mummy goes to school to see him,sits on mummy's lap starts to touch n por por her neh neh.Teacher came forward to tell the boy he is not allow to do that ,he cried for many days refused to go to school.Mummy start to stop him suckle,take her 1yr to wean him off.His son goes to school will tell his friends how he suckles his mummy's breast.So p/s wean ur son before he goes to school.

Mummy to Baby V

Eliane u must wean off before ur son goes to school.Ur son only wants to play n suckle for fun only.His body anti-bodies well bulit when BF first 8mths,after that whatever nutrients from BM is reduce,more solids should be introduce.U didn't know that u let ur boy suck,for so many yrs,u gets old n hargard very fast.Is very diffcuilt to stop him at this stage.My friend's son is also in the same situation.He suckle as and when he wants ,touch roll on breast till he sleeps till k2.When goes to p1 when mummy goes to school to see him,sits on mummy's lap starts to touch n por por her neh neh.Teacher came forward to tell the boy he is not allow to do that ,he cried for many days refused to go to school.Mummy start to stop him suckle,take her 1yr to wean him off.His son goes to school will tell his friends how he suckles his mummy's breast.So p/s wean ur son before he goes to school.
I believe that weaning should be done only when both the mum and child are ready emotionally. In nature, human mammals wean off naturally at age 2-7 years old. Breastfeeding is more than just providing milk; it's a huge way of providing comfort, security and love to the child, which will aid in his overall development.

1. The turning "old and haggard" part sounds strangely unfounded.

2. The teacher is probably ill-informed about breastfeeding, as many people are. Teachers are not always right. Her sudden interruption to the young boy's source of comfort could have traumatized him, not the best way for a P1 boy to start school.

3. It sounds fine to me that the boy shares his breastfeeding knowledge with his peers. It's something very natural and nothing to be ashamed off. Even if a child is weaned off at 4 years old, he can still remember the experience and share with his friends in Primary School.

Just my humble thoughts...

ast0212

I believe that weaning should be done only when both the mum and child are ready emotionally. In nature, human mammals wean off naturally at age 2-7 years old. Breastfeeding is more than just providing milk; it's a huge way of providing comfort, security and love to the child, which will aid in his overall development.

2. The teacher is probably ill-informed about breastfeeding, as many people are. Teachers are not always right. Her sudden interruption to the young boy's source of comfort could have traumatized him, not the best way for a P1 boy to start school.

3. It sounds fine to me that the boy shares his breastfeeding knowledge with his peers. It's something very natural and nothing to be ashamed off. Even if a child is weaned off at 4 years old, he can still remember the experience and share with his friends in Primary School.

I love what you have said and agree totally!!

bibiluvr

Hi dear,
my gal at 20 months weighs only 8.9 kg. birth weight was also 2.6kg (full term bb)and has been bfed till recently. My gynae did advise me to stop breastfeeding at ard 9 months coz of reasons like the mum getting osteoporosis etc. But i continued breastfeeding her all the way. She does take two meals of solid per day but is just small. Both hubby and I are average sized but she is around 10th percentile in terms of weight throughout all her various check ups. She's kind of not-too-tall oso.. haha.. but i guess so long as she's healthy then i m alright with it. She's oso super active. maybe that's y she doesn't put on much weight..

elaine01

Thanks for the verification!

His current PAP principal was actually very surprised that I'm still nursing him. And in fact, after she learnt about, did she know the reason why my boy is hardly absent from school even though the virus may be going around affecting the rest of his classmates but not him.

I strongly believe in child-led weaning, when he knows he's ready to step into the next milestone of his life. Well, I'm just suprsed at times that I'm still producing milk & his just not suckling for comfort cos hb & he do get insect bites, sore eyes, etc.....nothing beats "fresh milk" from me. Hb used to find it yucky but when his cut on his finger healed within hours after applying my milk, he's totally convinced.

Many of his classmates were breastfed too but not as long as he is. They do share their experiences among themselves & nope, they shouldn't feel shameful about it. They should feel good that their mummy is giving them the best start in life......

ast0212

Thanks for the verification!

His current PAP principal was actually very surprised that I'm still nursing him. And in fact, after she learnt about, did she know the reason why my boy is hardly absent from school even though the virus may be going around affecting the rest of his classmates but not him.

I strongly believe in child-led weaning, when he knows he's ready to step into the next milestone of his life. Well, I'm just suprsed at times that I'm still producing milk & his just not suckling for comfort cos hb & he do get insect bites, sore eyes, etc.....nothing beats "fresh milk" from me. Hb used to find it yucky but when his cut on his finger healed within hours after applying my milk, he's totally convinced.

Many of his classmates were breastfed too but not as long as he is. They do share their experiences among themselves & nope, they shouldn't feel shameful about it. They should feel good that their mummy is giving them the best start in life......
What you're doing is so beautiful!!