Unfavourable Oscar Scan Result.

LittleHorse

I am 36 yo and this is my first pregnancy. Went to collect Oscar scan report yesterday and was told Trisomy 21 reading is 1:8.........Upon seeing the result my heart sank! Wanted to know whatever does it make a difference on trisomy 21 reading such as 1:80 compare to 1:8? Does anyone has such a low reading and end up is a false positive? I am very very worried.

gabby25

Hi LittleHorse, I read some of the previous post here, Oscar sometime give a false result. If you are really worried maybe can consider MT21?

Im also pass 35yrs and expecting my No 1 as well. Instead of Oscar, I went for MaterniT21 which is a non invasive blood test.
This test is able to test you whether the baby has any Downs
More info can be found here MaterniT21
MT21 test (I think is 99% accuracy) and will give you the gender of the baby in the result as well.

My Gynae also mentioned this new test to me. He said it is 99% accurate but the downside is it is very expensive. He mentioned about $1000+...but for peace of mind to eliminate the false positive from the Oscar result,I think this is an alternative.

LittleHorse

My gynae mentioned that I can go further for Amniocentesis or CVS. Both are 100% accurate and cost around $2000+. But I am hesitating because of the risk involved.

gabby25

Hi LittleHorse, the MT21 test cost I paid is around 2k+ (the price difference as charge by indivudual clinic), the blood will be send to USA for testing. Waiting time for the result is around 1-2 weeks.
I did the test at Parkway Health Lab @ Mt E Novena with my Doc referral. Maybe you can call them up?

I change my gynae to the current 1 as the first gynae keep pushing for amnio (the price for amnio is around 2.8k (which include doc fee and a half day charge at the hospital) which Im not comfortable with. The chance of miscarriage is 1% but I will prefer a no risk test than a 1% risk given at my current age now.

Dragontail

Little horse. Sorry for the anxiety you're being put thru.

I suggest you go for mt21 soonest. It's not cheap but it's worth it I feel.

I hope you may understand that everyone is different. I was 40 with an oscar result very smiliar to yours. My baby didn't make it. Stopped at 13weeks. Gynae told me with a result like mine, likely baby can't make it through.

But like I said everyone or even every pregnancy is different. Oscar results are based on many factors. I didn't know about mt21 back then. But my next bfp I will skip Oscar and not hesitate to take mt21.

gabby25

Hi Littlehorse,

Not sure will this help?

We are pleased to share with you that the Obstetrical & Gynaecological Society of Singapore (OGSS) has organized a public seminar "Victorious living, Empowering your pregnany" at Raffles City Convention Centre this Saturday - 12Apr.

Doctors will be sharing the latest knowledge on all things related to prenatal testing, pregnancy, breastfeeding and nutrition needs.

If you, your family or friends would find this seminar useful, please register your details at www.cryoviva.com.sg/ogss

LittleHorse

Hi gabby25, I have recently went to SSR for Fetal Abnormality scan and as recommended by the Doc there, I went for the Harmony test.

Frankly speaking, I am very hesitating on the amnio because of the miscarriage risk.

LittleHorse

Hi Dragontail, I'm sorry to hear that.......

The waiting period of 2 week+ for the result is really stressing me out. Agreed with you that I would skip Oscar in future.........

gabby25

Hi Little Horse, that y I opt for M21 due to amnio miscarriage risk.

Hope the result all is well. Dont worry too much :)

Dragontail

Littlehorse that's a wise choice to do mt21.

Now most importantly is eat well rest well think well. Good luck and share with us your good news 2 weeks later.

LittleHorse

Hi gabby25 and Dragontail,

Thank you both. My result was out 2 week+ ago.........It was a huge relieved. According to the report, everything turns out fine. I will be going for another detail scan next week