Vomit like merlion - no joke !

smallsmallhand

My nearly 13 month old son had on a few occasion vomitted like a merlion...and i really mean it, it's like his mouth just opened and all the food simply gushed out! it's a very scary experience for us but he seemed ok after that. of course a little crying but very quickly he got over it and was normal again, playing, drinking his last feed and sleeping well.

he's 78cm and 11kg. takes 3x180ml bottles, 3 meals and 1 snack daily. his vomitting act can be lunch or dinner, more often at dinner though.

asked pediatrician and she said that's normally, it's not daily or at every meal. he's of normal weight anyway, no cause for worry. to me, it sounded too casual.

anyone out there with similar experience to share? any solution to this problem?

megtan

Probably you would like to consult another PD.

When my son was about 12-13 month old, similar thing happened before, vomitted once a day or once in 2 days for about a week. Yep, very scary like merlion. I thought it was due to sore throat (he wasn't well that time) or he was too full.

Brought him to see PD and PD said he might have stomach problem (some bad bacteria) and thus food could not digest/go down properly. Gave him a few medicine and I remember one was a probotic powder. After a few days of medication, the vomitting stopped.

Meanwhile try to give more liquid to prevent dehydration. If seems to be serious, try diluted glucose water or fruit juice (I steamed some apple/pear for the juice and added water to dilute) to boast some energy.

smallsmallhand

Brought him to doc last night and given colic drops. Said we overfed him, too much carbo in the meals. We will monitor for a few days first. The vomit act is 1-2 meals weekly. Not everyday. Also maybe not used to eating chunkier foods.

My girl was like this since a baby whenever we try to feed her milk, solid food or even cereal.. She will merlion out everything after 2 - 3 spoonful.. We didn't bring her to the doctor again because the first time we saw the doc she only told us 'she will grow out of it' when we took her to Kk for 3 days stay for observation and blood test. now she's 3 + and she's ok with solid food and loves baby cereal.. I guess your son not as bad as my girl and will grow out of it soon :)

smallsmallhand

We changed our strategy. We reduced the normal meal quantity by 20% and replaced with fruits or other new foods. He seems ok. Mabe he's just sick of his own food. He has been going for our food if we are within his reach. He still loves the soups. Hopefully this works.

xiaodaisy

We changed our strategy. We reduced the normal meal quantity by 20% and replaced with fruits or other new foods. He seems ok. Mabe he's just sick of his own food. He has been going for our food if we are within his reach. He still loves the soups. Hopefully this works.
tats cute , maybe feed him a little of ur food at times , kids likes to taste everything lol

hope it works for u too =)

wish ur boy will stop his vomit tis time round !

smallsmallhand

he kinda stops his vomit act after we reduce his solid meal quantity from the old 1.5 rice bowls to 1.25 rice bowls. the same goes for his milk feeds...from 180ml to 210ml in morning, 150ml in afternoon and 120-150ml at night before he sleeps. breakfast we give him yogurt, half a slice of bread and 3-5 biscuits. lunch is pasta/sphaghetti/cereal/mee sua with veg and meat. dinner is porridge + soup...he simply loves soups...always can't get enough of them...my MIL is a cantonese, her soups are boiled for 4-6 hours and totally no seasoning but yet always flavourful.