Want to vent!

So angry!

I brought dd back to my mom's place. My father went to feed her the arrowhead chips while I wasn't looking!

Dd is barely 5 months and I have not even started her on solids yet. Though she only tasted it (cos I shouted him to stop and ran over to push his hand away), I'm still very mad!

Hate him!

apollo

babe, cool down.. i think this is the most common thing many mummies here face.

my parents also always wanna feed ds with all these junk foods, said i'm too strict with him. however, i stand v firm, told them i will not allow ds to eat such foods! lucky nowadays my mum slowly accepts it, and will even tell my relatives cannot anyhow feed ds.

my aunt came to my place during CNY and let ds taste the dried guava, lucky my mum went to stop her. she even told her firmly tt her grandson cannot eat such foods, all for the sake of his health.

i'm consider pretty lucky tt my parents still will listen to me and my mil is v health conscious. cos i will use my mil to say my mum. will tel my mum "my mil say all these junk food cannot feed bb!" haha!

Phoebii Cheng

Yup I face the same problem too....my mom even want to give ice cream to my son when he was younger.....I think they just want to let the bb taste only, they meant no harm, but they do not think abt the consequences.....so hv to slowly educate them

it can be frustrating but do u really mean what u say when u said "hate him!" pretty strong words for a grandpa who just maybe didnt think so much when he decided to feed your child?

camom

You are not alone. My son has eczema and allergy issues with certain foods and PILs still feed him some forbidden stuff when I am not ard, despite telling them upfront. So nowadays, I follow him like an eagle wherever he goes and no one can sneak him forbidden food.

Ting

its common.. my parents also like to feed pin this n that.. but not when she's so young bahs.. n not chips.. they started with fruits, always let her lick abit here n there. haha. im also another one! let her taste ice cream.
im sure he meant no harm...
just slowly educate them..
sometimes i also tell my parents dun feed this n tt to pin horr, later she sick.. if she fall sick, then they go tc n bring her to doctor. :p

camom

Phoebii mommy, no choice lehh. If not, I am the one who has to handle his itch, rashes, hives, swellings and tantrums. No one will help, usually all run away when this happens.

Then they still don't learn from past experiences and still wanna do it.

diymummy

You are not alone. My son has eczema and allergy issues with certain foods and PILs still feed him some forbidden stuff when I am not around, despite telling them upfront. So nowadays, I follow him like an eagle wherever he goes and no one can sneak him forbidden food.
I have the same problem as you.

As in my boy is an allergic baby and has eczema. During CNY my mil still went to feed him coffee cake. After she fed him the cake she still turned to me and said, "See, he likes it". -.- When she tried to feed him the 2nd time, my son refused and she said that it was because we didn't expose him to foods. I think it's just that he doesn't like the taste of it.

She was still trying to nag at us for not introducing him to more foods while other babies were already eating food off the table at my son's age. And every time we meet for weekend dinners, she would always try to fish something off her dish to feed him. Zzzz...

pkshl

my parents are sometimes like that, especially my dad. he doesnt even know how to carry my son properly cos now my son will wiggle around when he's being carried. when i c such things happen, i always 'complain' to my mum & my mum will scold my dad.

kenxf_03

I truly understand how mummies here feel.. Cos I'm one of the mummies who faced the same situation!

My FIL once tried to feed my DS with a spoon of black coffee in fornt of me. I quickly asked him not to give cos babies cant take caffine and Ds is only 3 or 4 mth old that time!

FIL then said in the past blar blar blar.. I was like so speechless. MIL has this habit of feeding DS with food that I dont allow at all. Though I explained many times, she juz couldnt get it. So I will always remind her or asked Hb to remind her. I dont care whether she mind anot cos to me, my Ds's health is more impt than anything.

But glad that MIL know that I dont allow so she will always ask me can she give him that anot, but then same here, will say no! She ever wanted to cook porridge for Ds but I worried. Cos she always said in the past, she feed with seasoning or even marmite! So can any one tell me whether can I let her cook for my son??

Sometimes, I really sick and tired of repeating myself again and again le. It seems so hard to educate them cos in laws dont get it at all... :embarrassed:

apollo

I truly understand how mummies here feel.. Cos I'm one of the mummies who faced the same situation!

My father in law once tried to feed my dear son with a spoon of black coffee in fornt of me. I quickly asked him not to give cos babies cant take caffine and dear son is only 3 or 4 month old that time!

father in law then said in the past blar blar blar.. I was like so speechless. mother in law has this habit of feeding dear son with food that I dont allow at all. Though I explained many times, she just couldnt get it. So I will always remind her or asked husband to remind her. I dont care whether she mind anot cos to me, my dear son's health is more impt than anything.

But glad that mother in law know that I dont allow so she will always ask me can she give him that anot, but then same here, will say no! She ever wanted to cook porridge for dear son but I worried. Cos she always said in the past, she feed with seasoning or even marmite! So can any one tell me whether can I let her cook for my son??

Sometimes, I really sick and tired of repeating myself again and again . It seems so hard to educate them cos in laws dont get it at all... :embarrassed:
not only inlaws, own parents also.. my mum is one of them. she too, suggested marmite, i said NO! but now she is okay alrdy, lik what i said, if outsider wanna feed ds anything, she will even go up and tell them cannot and explained to them why WE dun allow.. haha...

camom

not only inlaws, own parents also.. my mum is one of them. she too, suggested marmite, i said NO! but now she is okay alrdy, lik what i said, if outsider wanna feed dear son anything, she will even go up and tell them cannot and explained to them why WE dont allow.. haha...
Wah Apollo, you "educated" your mommy very well! :red:

My PIL actually said that my son got so many troublesome problems bcos I don't allow son to eat this and that. I am speechless lahh... In the end I told him directly that it's HIS son's genes that caused MY son's problems. On hindsight, shouldn't have said that to him cos he got darn mad at me, but feel so good at that time.

diymummy

My parent in law actually said that my son got so many troublesome problems bcos I dont't allow son to eat this and that. I am speechless lahh... In the end I told him directly that it's HIS son's genes that caused MY son's problems. On hindsight, shouldn't have said that to him cos he got darn mad at me, but feel so good at that time.
Exactly what my parents in law said too...

NursMama

sigh.... my own dad fed my bb gal coffee and peanuts!
scolded him there n then but he can answer "it's ok lah... only a bit maaahh!" :wong7:

jaspzz

I think I am opposite I am the one who gives my son junk but one thing i never allow is no fizzy drinks/sweets only...I only allow plain water. My son had his first taste of fizzy drinks at the age of 3.5yrs and sweets at 4yrs old...

Else whatever food we eat I sure stuff into his mouth .... kekee

TANZHENZHI

Me too. I faced the same problem. Sometimes really have to keep reminding them and say nowadays children is diff from the past. :) Just have to do our part and keep a lookout on our kids.

apollo

My parent in law actually said that my son got so many troublesome problems bcos I dont't allow son to eat this and that. I am speechless lahh... In the end I told him directly that it's HIS son's genes that caused MY son's problems. On hindsight, shouldn't have said that to him cos he got darn mad at me, but feel so good at that time.
Exactly what my parents in law said too...
my mum will say that too!!! she said i shd be 'chin cai' abit.. cos ds used to fall il when he was younger, immunity not v high den my mum say shd 'dirty eat dirty big' just 'anhyhow' feed, junk food also nvm, den he will 'immune' and be healthier, if not next time grow older cannot 'tahan' outside foods.. simi logic?! LOL!

BbpHir3

nowadays when the parents/ in laws wanna feed L junkies, they will turn to me and ask in a very sarcastic way," ke yi chi ma?" and give a stupid face for me to c.. or else they will tell L to "go ask mummy can eat anot, or else mummy scold me.." cuz there was a few occasion, i scolded L infront of them for eating junkies w/o asking me, and gave them black face.. now that L is alr 1year old, i close 1 eye on things.. i juz let her "try".. not including caffeine, alcohol, sweets, chocolate, nuts and seafood..

i use to tell my mum that if L gets sick because if the food she give her, den she better be prepared to pay for L's medical bills... trip to PDs are not exactly cheap lohz~~ hahahahaha... L spend an average of $100/trip.. hahaha.. my mum saw the bill she stunt~~

Ting

sigh.... my own dad fed my baby gal coffee and peanuts!
scolded him there n then but he can answer "it's ok ... only a bit maaahh!" :wong7:
if he feeds your elder girl peanuts, its ok, peanuts is healthy lehs... pin eats alot of nuts, her fav is those groundnuts, tt time CNY, my hse there (chinatown) hv those stalls tt sell nuts, then can sample, pin took a alot n stuff into her pocket then ask my dad crack the shell for her.. *rofl*

coffee horr, i do give pin a sip here n there when im hving my mocha. :p