Wat kinds of solids to introduce to infants.

apollo

i started ds with cereal 1st. cos during the initial stage, they dont eat alot, only ard 1 tablespoon to let they try/taste/feel the food so cooking porridge is abit wasteful while cereal i can just scoop 1 tablespoon and mix with water/milk. you can also make some puree for her, like pumpkin, carrot etc.. =)

gumbokins

I just started my boy on solids a few weeks ago. So far I hv made applesauce, carrot puree, pumpkin puree and this week's 'menu' is sweet potato, using organic vege and fruit. Will prepare a batch to freeze, usually into 1 oz portions. Plain rice or barley cereal also makes for great first foods.

Like apollo said, the first few attempts, baby will only eat a small amount. One tip I got was to use the cap of the milk bottle to prepare the food in coz it's the right size for 1 tbsp of cereal or puree (rather than using a bowl, still too big at this point). Baby will make all kinds of funny faces, and more food will end up outside the mouth than inside because they don't quite know what to do with their tongues yet.

The first few attempts, only about 4-5 spoonfuls then baby start crying. Now, it's more like if the food doesn't come fast enough, he will cry and fuss.

I like this website, hv found it to be useful Wholesome Homemade Baby Food Recipes

Enangel

My bb just turn 7mths. I first started him on those jars of puree when he was 5 mths plus. I guess all babies love sweet stuff, so you can start trying out with apple, pears puree etc. I use those organic jar bb food, easy and fuss free. You can eat it out of the jar or just warm it in the microwave. you can also prepare your own puree at home.. For porridge, i'll double boil it and smash the grains after that. Infant cereal is much easier, just add water/milk and mix.

Actually what matters most is the nutrients and vitamins in the food bb eat, not the carbo in it... so try to add veg, fruits, fish, meat base more instead of rice and cereal.

Sometimes i'll go to petit bowl at united sq and takeaway their bb puree. My bb love to eat there and staff is helpful and friendly, the food is also organic and they have lots of variety. :001_302: Plus i don't have to headache if bb is getting enough nutrition and what to prepare for him...hehe...

tania8956

Hi Enangel...what is the brand for the organic jar baby food?My baby now is 5 months i bought nestle brown rice for him i staill can add veg or other things in it?Thank you for ur advice.

tania8956

I just started my boy on solids a few weeks ago. So far I have made applesauce, carrot puree, pumpkin puree and this week's 'menu' is sweet potato, using organic vege and fruit. Will prepare a batch to freeze, usually into 1 oz portions. Plain rice or barley cereal also makes for great first foods.

Like apollo said, the first few attempts, baby will only eat a small amount. One tip I got was to use the cap of the milk bottle to prepare the food in coz it's the right size for 1 tbsp of cereal or puree (rather than using a bowl, still too big at this point). Baby will make all kinds of funny faces, and more food will end up outside the mouth than inside because they dont't quite know what to do with their tongues yet.

The first few attempts, only about 4-5 spoonfuls then baby start crying. Now, it's more like if the food doesn't come fast enough, he will cry and fuss.

I like this website, have found it to be useful Wholesome Homemade Baby Food Recipes
Hi thanks for your great advice.You mean for a meal i can just guve puree?how do i make the puree?

JazN

u just steam for eg pumpkin & mash it, then mix with breastmilk (don't add too much breastmilk till it becomes too watery)

Enangel

yup. Organic jar food is not nestle brand... if its organic, they will indicate there.. Or you can also buy organic veg or meat, blend and purée them for ur bb. Start with giving only 1 flavour and wait for 3 days to see if there is any allegeries. Then you can slowly purée different veg/fruits/meats together to create a kind of dish for baby. :001_302:

puree is quite simple. Just follow the instructions on website and books.

For me, i will cook and puree about 4-5 servings for one dish then freeze it for 1 mth. This way when i want to let bb eat just steam and reheat, dont have to cook again. But take note some fruits cannot be kept ( eg banana), some can be kept in fridge for 2 days, while some can be freeze up to 1 month. So must do your research properly first!

Enangel

oh, and other than steaming before puree still have other ways, eg pan fry or baking/roasting. I follow the recipes on the baby cookbook, but it depends if you have time to spend on cooking anot. :001_302:

tania8956

u just steam for eg pumpkin & mash it, then mix with breastmilk (don't add too much breastmilk till it becomes too watery)
can i mix it with formula? instead of breastmilk? does this make a meal? he is 5 months plus can i give all these already?

gumbokins

Can i give mashed potato? pumpkin? carrot? i can boil it first then mash it together and give is it?
Yes you can, but try to steam rather than boil because it retains the nutrients better. Then you can use the water from steaming to puree/mash.

Potato, pumpkin and carrots are great choices, as are apples, bananas and avocados ...then you can mix them together to create your own flavor combinations. Fruits like bananas and avocados don't need any steaming, just mash with a fork will do. I also add cereal to my purees now.

Do note that for carrots, to not use the water from steaming to mash because the water might contain nitrates that your baby cannot break down yet.

I do not like to add formula to my purees because formula tends to taste a little bitter. You can follow up with a milk feed after the meal instead :)

Siyun

You can also try sweet potato with carrot puree or u can also mix green pea, white potato, borcolli and carrot puree.. My kids love it

tanfamily

hi, just want to share, mum and i try the above and i do confer that they are good home cooked food. In between snacks or travel, we did did bulk order for sprout organic baby food with variety of flavours with other mums, my daughter love it a lot.. a tooth for organic baby food.

blueocean

Hi All,

after i introduce porridge to my baby (6mths), she got constipation. hard stools. What should i do?
currently she on Friso1, nestle rice ceral, vegeatable puree (potatoes, pumpkin, carrot, apple), plain water.

whitecatz

Hi blueocean,

Constipation/hard stools can mean your baby is not having enough water or simply her gut is not ready for so much solids.

I would suggest to cut the cereal first to see and up the fluids. Cereal, especialy nestle's cereal (it has cow's milk in it, gee..) is known to be constipating. Also, applesauce and banana can also cause constipation. if it is the cereal, wait a little while more before giving again and try a cereal without cow dairy in it, like HT or happy bellies. anyway, milk should still be the main bulk of her diet.

blueocean

Hi whitecatz,

Her daily water intake is minium 250ml~350ml. Not sure, is it enough...? From the start, she is a formula fed baby. Started on NAN1 to EnfaLac1 to Friso1 becos she dont poo everyday. She poo every 2 or 3days. Finally on Friso1, she ok. Then on 5th month, start on nestle cereal, puree, poo still ok.

Then start on porridge, then not ok ...faint. Hard stools. Stools output very little. Already stiop porridage for 3 weeks . I just changed her formula to Similac2 on sunday, 2days ago.
I will stop the nestle cereal...will try those organic brands cereals plus vegetable & fruit purpee. Now everyday also feed her half bottle of Gerber prune juice. (those small jar bottle - 80g).
Still not much improvement. I am really worried....
Her stools output is little or is hard stools.
i thought the milk formula also is cow milk?

lyra

Infant Milk formula is derived from cow's milk but altered, so its not called cow's milk. Manufacturers altered it by removing the fats and add in animal fats because baby's tummy cannot digest fats in cow's milk. Cow's milk can only be given to babies above 1 year old but after 1 year old, milk is not necessary anymore.

Hi whitecatz,

Her daily water intake is minium 250ml~350ml. Not sure, is it enough...? From the start, she is a formula fed baby. Started on NAN1 to EnfaLac1 to Friso1 becos she dont poo everyday. She poo every 2 or 3days. Finally on Friso1, she ok. Then on 5th month, start on nestle cereal, puree, poo still ok.

Then start on porridge, then not ok ...faint. Hard stools. Stools output very little. Already stiop porridage for 3 weeks . I just changed her formula to Similac2 on sunday, 2days ago.
I will stop the nestle cereal...will try those organic brands cereals plus vegetable & fruit purpee. Now everyday also feed her half bottle of Gerber prune juice. (those small jar bottle - 80g).
Still not much improvement. I am really worried....
Her stools output is little or is hard stools.
i thought the milk formula also is cow milk?

marshmallows

Erm they still need to drink milk after 1 yr old. At least before bedtime (they can sleep better) and in the middle of the night when they wake in hunger, u can't be feeding solids to a hungry and sleepy child right?