WATCH OUT for Mustela Foam Shampoo!!

AngieC

HI Mommies!

My baby boy had cradle cap and the Dr said can put olive oil on it. Since olive oil didn't really help, I went to Watsons and asked them what shampoo they have to help with newborn with cradle cap problems. They suggested Mustela. Since it's a brand that I use for lotions and stuff, I purchased and started using on my baby around Xmas time. It is a foam shampoo for newborns and on the bottle it says, "washes away flakes associated with cradle cap".

I noticed that the problem area on his scalp improved dramatically, however, his hair started to thin out and his scalp looked more whitened! I called the service hotline on the bottle, which is the company that distributes Mustela. The customer service lady said that I shouldn't be using it everyday, because it's a rather strong shampoo. Well, that's funny, because on the bottle it says, "Ultra Gentle Shampoo", so I was comfortable using it daily. She also suggested that I stopped using it on the baby. I complained that there's no directions on the bottle with regards to the frequency of the usage. To which she replied, "we'll let management know".

Well that answer doesn't really help me, so I just want to post to vent my frustration and also alert other mommies, dont"T BUY THIS SHAMPOO!!!!!!!!

diymummy

Hi AngieC,

How old is your son?

For babies, it's common for their hair to fall out when they hit 3 mths. My boy was botak when he was 5 mths because almost all his hair fell out. But not to worry, the hair will all grow back.

If you're still concerned abt Mustela shampoo, you can try Sebamed. I used that for my baby. Sebamed has a children series as well as an adult series so do buy the right kind.

AngieC

Hi AngieC,

How old is your son?

For babies, it's common for their hair to fall out when they hit 3 mths. My boy was botak when he was 5 mths because almost all his hair fell out. But not to worry, the hair will all grow back.

If you're still concerned about Mustela shampoo, you can try Sebamed. I used that for my baby. Sebamed has a children series as well as an adult series so do buy the right kind.
actually, my baby is about 2.5 months, BUT! i know its not falling out naturally because his scalp looks more white around the top, and thats the area we leave the foam on top for 1-2 minutes - per direction. and thats the area the hair is thinning out. Not anywhere else. Aiya, i should have noticed earlier, when i see that cradle cap improved so quickly... hopefully, it will grow back soon!!

does Sebamed have something for cradle cap??

diymummy

Before Sebamed I was using Detinox Cradle Cap Shampoo. I bought it from Guardian Pharmacy.

After the cradle cap improved, I switched to Sebamed Children's Shampoo.

PinkDiamonds

The other brand I know for cradle cap is Detinox, but I stopped using it cause it made my daughter's scalp more itchy.

By the way, did you comb out the cradle cap after you apply the olive oil? If you just apply olive oil nothing will happen and the cradle cap will not drop out on its own.

What you can do it apply the oil and wait for about 5-10 minutes for the cradle cap to soften. Then using a comb, slowly scrape the cradle cap out. Please don't do this when the scalp is dry as it will be very painful for the baby!

Olive oil also keeps the baby hair scalp moisturized, especially since my daughter has dry skin.

bellerichez

HI Mommies!

My baby boy had cradle cap and the Dr said can put olive oil on it. Since olive oil didn't really help, I went to Watsons and asked them what shampoo they have to help with newborn with cradle cap problems. They suggested Mustela. Since it's a brand that I use for lotions and stuff, I purchased and started using on my baby around Xmas time. It is a foam shampoo for newborns and on the bottle it says, "washes away flakes associated with cradle cap".

I noticed that the problem area on his scalp improved dramatically, however, his hair started to thin out and his scalp looked more whitened! I called the service hotline on the bottle, which is the company that distributes Mustela. The customer service lady said that I shouldn't be using it everyday, because it's a rather strong shampoo. Well, that's funny, because on the bottle it says, "Ultra Gentle Shampoo", so I was comfortable using it daily. She also suggested that I stopped using it on the baby. I complained that there's no directions on the bottle with regards to the frequency of the usage. To which she replied, "we'll let management know".

Well that answer doesn't really help me, so I just want to post to vent my frustration and also alert other mommies, dont"T BUY THIS SHAMPOO!!!!!!!!

HUH really ah? But my son have been using it for a month already (daily) and his cradle cap have improved a lot.

PinkDiamonds

I think different babies are different. What worked on bellerichez's baby did not work on AngieC's baby. Like my case, a lot of mummies recommended Detinox for clearing my daughter's cradle cap, but it didn't work for my baby. Instead it made her scalp itch.

You never know how your baby will react to certain products. Sometimes, even those products that say they are suitable for very sensitive skin can still produce negative effects. So, if it didn't worked for you doesn't mean that everybody else shouldn't use it. If you are not sure, you can always do an allergy test on a small patch on the hand. If no reaction within 24-48 hours, the product will most likely be suitable.

My 2 cents worth.

Nidhi

Hi AngieC- I had so many positive reviews on this shampoo but came across this thread after using for 3 continous days on my 6 weeks old baby. I found the same problem as yours...my baby's hair started falling and some parts of the scalp became more whitened...When I cover her head wth cap,lot of hair on cap also. I stopped the shampoo for now. Can you tell based on your experinence how many days/weeks it took to get the hair back for your baby? Was there any other issue caused by this?
Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Nidhi

HI Mommies!