Watching TV

lilcactus

Dear mummies,

I wonder if your babies are attracted to TV programmes? At which stage do they start to be attracted? Cos my 7month old baby don't seem to be attracted to TV at all. Sometimes have some interesting programmes that I wanna catch but she won't sit still to watch for more than a minute. Although its a good thing cos I did not want to expose her to TV screen so soon, but my friend's infants seem to find TV fascinating, which makes me wonder.

sallymum

Dear mummies,

I wonder if your babies are attracted to TV programmes? At which stage do they start to be attracted? Cos my 7month old baby dont't seem to be attracted to TV at all. Sometimes have some interesting programmes that I wanna catch but she won't sit still to watch for more than a minute. Although its a good thing cos I did not want to expose her to TV screen so soon, but my friend's infants seem to find TV fascinating, which makes me wonder.
my elder son is not so attracted to TV. When he was ard 6 mths to 1 yr, we try expose him to those children educational videos and his attention span is only ard 5-10 mins..

Only recently after he attended childcare, he can watch those videos for approx. 15 mins and then he will wander off to do other things.. he likes to watch commercial ads as well...

stonston

Mine was only attracted to commercials due to nice songs, fast actions and bright colours when he was less than 1yo.

Then we exposed him to educational DVDs/programs and he's hooked ever since. Picked up alot of things from these programs :)

Now, at 3yo, he loves his cartoons which are treats. I don't encourage violent cartoons. However, he saw Ben10 and is hooked. At least the fighting in Ben10 is rather minimal and it's mostly Ben going to the rescue. Have to explain to him that violence is not the way so that he does not do all the kicking and punching actions.

TV can be a good learning source if the programs are carefully selected :)

Humpty

I ban my 4mo from watching TV. But its an uphill struggle. Whenever the TV is on, he will twist his head to watch it. I think its because when I was expecting him I watched a lot of TV so he finds the sounds comforting? Dunno, but now trying very hard to keep him off TV, YouTube and all the video stuff till he is older.

lilcactus

Hi Humpty, when I was preggie, I used to watch TV after work too, and I remember that my baby was particularly active when she hear TV sounds. but now that she is 7plus month old, she doesn't even take a third glance at the TV, irregardless of it being TV drama, commercial or educational DVDs. so far she only can concentrate on her nursery rhyme DVD.