weaning off thumb~~

BbpHir3

dd started rejecting pacifier at 2months.. n started thumb-sucking soon after.. now that she's 1, n the nail on her thumb is peeling.. i want to wean her of the habit..

she only sucks her thumb when she wants to sleep.. usually she'll release the thumb, once she falls aslp..
edit: she only sucks her left thumb.

wat options do i have to wean her off the thumb??

i've tried re-introducing the pacifier to her.. but she'll either shut her mouth tightly, first-accept-den-pull-out-n-throw-away, or juz cry out loud..

i also tried beating her hands n not let her suck her thumb.. but i get adverse reaction.. instead of falling aslp, she gets extremely cranky n end up, she juz refuse to sleep..:embarrassed::embarrassed:

wat other methods can u guys share to wean her off the thumb??

Last edited:

CDL

I'm also interested to know what can be done to stop baby from sucking her thumb - rub something bitter on her thumb?

BTW what's NOC?

autumn82

I replied in NOC too! :p

Another thing, u can get from pharmacy a kind of medicine which taste bitter to wean off thumb sucking.

:001_302::001_302::001_302:

Ting

yeah, can get it from pharmarcy.its not medicine but pure bittergourd juice (i heard).
just tell the pharmicist that u need it to wean off thumb sucking. :)

meiteoh

Old folks method was to rub sour or bitter stuff onto the thumb OR chilli. :/

Angmoh style is slightly different - you can check out this page for ideas. Basically the angmoh concept is that your baby must be motivated to wean themselves off without having to resort to the above tactics.

Help your child stop sucking at naptime and nighttime. Because most children who engage in thumb sucking depend on it to fall asleep, and suck during sleep, this part of the habit takes the longest to break—usually about three months. You can help by providing a calming, comforting bedtime ritual, especially during the first week. A bedtime story or backrub can be very helpful. Avoid overstimulating physical activity or caffeine before bedtime or naptime.

A hand puppet made out of a cotton tube sock or glove can be placed on your child's hand as a nighttime reminder. Fasten it securely or sew it to your child's pajama top to prevent it from coming off during sleep. Emphasize to your child that sucking that occurs during sleep is not her fault because "that old finger/thumb just sneaks in." Explain that if the sucking continues during sleep, the habit won't go away.