Wedding Invitation that gone wrong

residentmumi

Just wanna share out something that sadden me. I hope I can forget this issue :(

I was recently invited to a Chinese wedding at Meritus Mandarin Orchard Hotel this coming friday. The problem is the groom who is my ex-secondary school friend invited me "through" texting.

Although, I confirm with him that I am coming with my family, I am shock that till now I have still not yet received the invitation card which was promised earlier on. He insisted that the card was mail out longed ago but it seriously didn't get into my mailbox.

Problem is right now, I text him nicely saying "Congrats to your wedding and Happy Birthday but Dude, I have still not yet received your wedding card. Mind letting me know your full details...."

His reply was "Oh, I have posted it out long ago..Anyways, it located in Meritus Mandarin Orchard Hotel. Please reach by 7pm and come early as it will be every jam in orchard area."

Now please someone tell me...I need to know how do I get to the ballroom at which level at the hotel...??? As a groom or maybe as a friend for a kind gesture, he should reply me but he keep saying the above...so meaning...the wedding be held where....by the carpark....roadside.....????

Then when I replied that I am unable to go as I have appointment with the gyne, he got so worked-up...???? Like hello......which is more important....???? Wedding....or my check-up????

He can replied to me "Huh, I have put in 3 seats for you at the hotel, haiz...okok...nevermind then...Thought you already RSVP and confirm with me, which is why we commit all the seats to the hotel. Yesterday msg was just a reminder. Anyway, forget it..."

I am thinking what when wrong....although I was about to reply that I can still make it to the wedding after my gyne appointment, the reply which he sent above really pull me away :(

I am wondering do all wedding happen like the above....or any wedding????

I have been to many professional wedding....this is the only screw up.......beside I am paying for it lol....not free what........

Some friend......indeed :(

PTB7476

Just wanna share out something that sadden me. I hope I can forget this issue :(

I was recently invited to a Chinese wedding at Meritus Mandarin Orchard Hotel this coming friday. The problem is the groom who is my ex-secondary school friend invited me "through" texting.

Although, I confirm with him that I am coming with my family, I am shock that till now I have still not yet received the invitation card which was promised earlier on. He insisted that the card was mail out longed ago but it seriously didn't get into my mailbox.

Problem is right now, I text him nicely saying "Congrats to your wedding and Happy Birthday but Dude, I have still not yet received your wedding card. Mind letting me know your full details...."

His reply was "Oh, I have posted it out long ago..Anyways, it located in Meritus Mandarin Orchard Hotel. Please reach by 7pm and come early as it will be every jam in orchard area."

Now please someone tell me...I need to know how do I get to the ballroom at which level at the hotel...??? As a groom or maybe as a friend for a kind gesture, he should reply me but he keep saying the above...so meaning...the wedding be held where....by the carpark....roadside.....????

Then when I replied that I am unable to go as I have appointment with the gyne, he got so worked-up...???? Like hello......which is more important....???? Wedding....or my check-up????

He can replied to me "Huh, I have put in 3 seats for you at the hotel, haiz...okok...nevermind then...Thought you already RSVP and confirm with me, which is why we commit all the seats to the hotel. Yesterday msg was just a reminder. Anyway, forget it..."

I am thinking what when wrong....although I was about to reply that I can still make it to the wedding after my gyne appointment, the reply which he sent above really pull me away :(

I am wondering do all wedding happen like the above....or any wedding????

I have been to many professional wedding....this is the only screw up.......beside I am paying for it lol....not free what........

Some friend......indeed :(
i wont go if i am you..seem like your friend is trying to meet quota and fill up the seats. if he is sincere shouldnt he call instead of text esp when you told him you did not received the card

apollo

if i were the couple, and my fren told me that she has not receive the invitation card despite me sending it out long ago, i will send a new one to her! if is alrdy near our wedding date, i will send it to her place personally! IMHO, i feel that an invitation card (maybe for chi wedding) is very impt. if my frens were to invite me w/o me receiving the invitation card, i will take it as i'm not invited.

sry to say that but i feel that the way ur fren replied you, seems like he is not keen in inviting u. i can understand that a couple reserve seats for ppl but ended up the guests did not turn up, kind of 'waste' the seats as the banquet is not cheap. BUT, if ur fren wasnt sincere in inviting u in the 1st place, dont feel bad abt not going.

Just my humble opinion =)

Ting

yeah dont feel bad abt it. if he wasnt a close friend n doesnt stay in contact, and suddenly invite u to his wedding, quite obvious he just wannt hit quota to fill the seats. n he doesnt seem sincere in inviting u either. like apollo, i will call up and tell them the details if not, send another invite.

stonston

All my friends will send a SMS or email to check if I've received the invite. I'm appalled that your friend did not follow up after mailing it out!

Anyway, it's poor planning on HIS side, not your fault. Just move on :)

residentmumi

Thanks Mummies for kind words :) Well, I do feel rather sad. I understand that married couple are busy people but shouldn't they do a follow-up?? Haiz...anyway...congrats to them....this will tell me one thing that in future, I know how to choose a friend and which wedding to attend.

pinkytham

i wun go too....so attitute duhz...
if it was me, i would definately apologise for the lost of wedding card through mail and would send an sms to tell u the exact details as to show that i am sincere in inviting u =D

Renzie

I agree, even for my wedding, for my overseas friends, if they did not receive the invitation card, I'll check with them via sms/calls. And double inform them of the details via calls/sms regarding the details about 1-2 weeks before the actual day

cmeilim

dunno how close to your 'friend' but personally i feel it is 'meaningless' to have a large wedding event where i don't know most people or they are just 'colleagues' or 'acquaintances' and seriously speaking, i don't really care for their presence or not. i don't attend weddings of people I am not close with, and when I was planning my own wedding two years ago, i was certain i didn't want to do likewise to other people.

to me, weddings are personal and intimate affairs to the couple and immediate families. that was why hubby and i invited only our closest relatives and closest friends, people whom we really wanted to share our wedding joy with and whom we knew truly wanted to share this joy with us too. there was an intimate, meaningful reason why each and everyone of our guest on our list was invited, and no one was invited just to make up numbers, or to save face, or whatever. hence our wedding was a very small affair, which was all the better because we had time to go around and seriously chat with and thank each and everyone for coming, not just rush through table after table for the routine photography.

maybe some people will think my hubby and i got attitude problem. but if u ask me, i would say you don't have to feel bad or apologetic at all. the whole incident just reflected badly on your 'friend'.

residentmumi

Mummies,

This "friend" of mine is kinda of a good friend back in school's time. Although I can't say that for now.

Anyway, I am kind of taken aback with his replied.
I don think I am going for any school gathering in future.

I simply find it hard to forget...haiz...

momi

I don't think you have to feel bad, your friend sounds very insincere and like others say, maybe just to fill up the seat quota.

But one thing I can see why your friend has reason to be annoyed also is if you know already that you have a gynae's appointment, why then you did not say this before but instead kept focusing on asking where in the hotel that the banquet will be held (you were already told the time of the dinner before that). After gathering hotel details then you reply you can't go. I feel that as soon as you knew about the time and date, you could have already at least mentioned that you can't go or might be a bit late, instead of agreeing to go and then later say that you have a gynae's appointment.

Anyway I might have interpreted the situation wrongly. I feel your friend is definitely in the wrong for not giving you an invitation card but you also had equal right to say you won't go at that time instead of agreeing and then later say you have an appointment.

shopaholic

Maybe he's stressed out with the wedding preps and didnt mean to be rude. If you still value his friendship, just explain why you werent able to attend and seek his understanding.

Personally, I wouldnt invite ex-schoolmates to my wedding if we hv never met each other after graduation or in some circumstances, rarely kept in touch except for wedding invitation. I felt it was rather meaningless to invite people one was not close with.

ryanchew

In my humble opinion, both parties should share the blame.

It is the groom's fault by not following up, and the way he replied is not tactful enough.

However, since you have already RSVP, you should schedule your gynae appt accordingly if its just a normal checkup.
Even if you have to go for the gynae appt, you should have replied that you will be late, instead of saying you cant make it.

We have been through this stage, and we know the hassle of re-arrange the seats and combining the tables in the event that some
people could not turn up at the last minute. It will not look nice if the front tables have many empty seats isnt it? And it's most stressful
during wedding, because it's once in a lifetime, and everyone will want it to be as perfect as possible.

So while you are complaining about having such a friend, he might be doing the same as well. But since the damage is already done, just move on.

MsKoh1973

v long ago (20 yrs) , one of my colleague (msian) invited me to her wedding, but I don't have contact no. or whatsoever, we just arrange to meet at the msia custom on a certain date and time. She oso didn't call me again to confirm, in the end, I couldn't make it, also don't know how to tell her..........

sighz...........those were the days...yap..........we loss contact after that day.............

wiranto

this happened to my friend before, even kinda happened to me. I think he was just trying to fill up the quota only. if he was sincere enough he will send the invitation again if you tell him that you didn't receive it.
braces cost

remember

hmm why didt u ask him... did the hotel owned by u? I guess his reply was ; no why? because nobody will know u unless u are their bosses! so which BIG ballroom have u booked?? he sure jump up! hahaha just joking sorry!