What are the ways to stop bb from whining wanting adults to carry???

Shane

My little girl has been like this since she was a baby. Beginning it is still acceptable but now she is getting too much. Her whining has start to grow louder and only stops when being carried, even when she wants to sleep she will still cry and want bao bao.

Pleasseeee!!! Any mummies face the same situation I had now??? I would appreciate if you share your experience on how to overcome it. :wong1:

PTB7476

think the only solution is the parent need to harden their heart and let her cry soon she will realised crying is no use anymore

Wed, Jul 21, 2010
The New Paper

How to cope with a crying baby
by CHAI HUNG YIN
1. Meet basic needs.
Feed, burp, change diaper and ensure baby is comfortable physically and emotionally.

2. Walk away.
Leave the baby in a safe place such as a baby cot and leave the room. It is normal for an infant to spend a total of 2 to 3 hours a day crying.

3. Call a friend, relative or neighbour you can trust to take over.

4. Count to 10.
Calm down and do something that can get your mind off the crying.

5. Hold the baby against your chest and massage the baby gently.
Sing or talk to the baby in soothing tones.

6. Take the baby out for a walk in a stroller or a ride in the car.

7. Lower surrounding noise and lights.
Offer a pacifier, shake or rattle a toy to get the baby’s attention.

8. Call your paediatrician or family doctor if you suspect the baby is
unwell.

Last edited:

Shane

think the only solution is the parent need to harden their heart and let her cry soon she will realised crying is no use anymore

Wed, Jul 21, 2010
The New Paper

How to cope with a crying baby
by CHAI HUNG YIN
1. Meet basic needs.
Feed, burp, change diaper and ensure baby is comfortable physically and emotionally.

2. Walk away.
Leave the baby in a safe place such as a baby cot and leave the room. It is normal for an infant to spend a total of 2 to 3 hours a day crying.

3. Call a friend, relative or neighbour you can trust to take over.

4. Count to 10.
Calm down and do something that can get your mind off the crying.

5. Hold the baby against your chest and massage the baby gently.
Sing or talk to the baby in soothing tones.

6. Take the baby out for a walk in a stroller or a ride in the car.

7. Lower surrounding noise and lights.
Offer a pacifier, shake or rattle a toy to get the baby’s attention.

8. Call your paediatrician or family doctor if you suspect the baby is
unwell.
Thanks for the great advice!
I can handle her crying very well. Just that I feel I have to overcome this problem my bb has. She isnt feeling anyone of the situation above. She is just happy being carried..so used to it already. Its getting kind of tiring for adults.
I think the only solution I can think of is what you have said..
"Harden my heart & let her cry!!!" The only choice for this helpless mummy~ Hehe

AugBoyz

If u need to do housework or be away from her for a while or simply just training her to reduce her cry for attention, you can put her in a netted bouncer or those fisherprice rocking chair where they are belted in, place her at a distance from you while u go about doing your things at home. Talk to her, sing to her while u work so that she knows u are around n she is not alone.

Ting

just dun carry and ignore her cries.
distract her from crying- on TV, sing song, toys.
how old is your child? how abt the walker? if she starts learning to walk, she wont wanna be carried so often alr.

AugBoyz

just dont carry and ignore her cries.
how old is your child? how about the walker? if she starts learning to walk, she wont wanna be carried so often already.
her ger is 8mths old, think i read it fm her other thread.

Shane

just dun carry and ignore her cries.
how old is your child? how abt the walker? if she starts learning to walk, she wont wanna be carried so often alr.
Hello! Yes, bb is 8mths nw. We just let her try on the walker last weekend. She only willing to sit when being feed. Other than that..no way she sit for longer than 20mins.

Ting

beginning is like that. after a while, when they know they can zoom arnd to grab things, they'll love to sit in.. but alr 8 mths old, most likely can only sit in the walker for another 2-3 more mths...
do u hv a play pen or playyard? gv her some toys to play inside, or jst put her in the high chair, on some dvds for her to watch or put her near u... sing/talk to her. each time she "whines" to be carried, distract her. like take a toy (like a rattle with sound), shake it in front of her and laugh n sing, u know what i mean???

Phoebii Cheng

Yup I agree with Ting, try to distract her with other things instead of carrying her......

My son also now he is 2yrs old, sometimes he wants to be carried, but when he sees the things tht interest him, he will not want to be carried

Ashbaby

DS recently has been like that too. So I will ignore him, after a while he stop crying. Must be very persistent cannot soft hearted.

Shane

beginning is like that. after a while, when they know they can zoom arnd to grab things, they'll love to sit in.. but alr 8 mths old, most likely can only sit in the walker for another 2-3 more mths...
do u hv a play pen or playyard? gv her some toys to play inside, or jst put her in the high chair, on some dvds for her to watch or put her near u... sing/talk to her. each time she "whines" to be carried, distract her. like take a toy (like a rattle with sound), shake it in front of her and laugh n sing, u know what i mean???
Yes Ting~ I understand what u mean.
I only manage to capture her attention for longest 30mins.
The only thing that can make her sit still is "FOOD".
Recently, while being carried she learn to rotate her body, kick her legs and fidget ard. *Gosh* My arms is breaking up soon! HEEEE

Shane

Yup I agree with Ting, try to distract her with other things instead of carrying her......

My son also now he is 2yrs old, sometimes he wants to be carried, but when he sees the things tht interest him, he will not want to be carried
Toys, Bears & Rattle can only make my lil' princess sit still for no longer than 30mins. She get bored easily.

Shane

DS recently has been like that too. So I will ignore him, after a while he stop crying. Must be very persistent cannot soft hearted.
Yes!!! I am starting to use this method on my girl but MIL always spoiled her.
Whenever she whine alittle she will go over coax & carry her. I appreciate her help but now, my girl wants my MIL more than me.
*Heartbroken*

Ashbaby

Yes!!! I am starting to use this method on my girl but mother in law always spoiled her.
Whenever she whine alittle she will go over coax & carry her. I appreciate her help but now, my girl wants my mother in law more than me.
*Heartbroken*

Sometimes grandparent just dont understand. :we2daydreaming:

AugBoyz

shane, 30mins is consider long in a baby's perspective! an adult of coz can remain seated or be engross in a certain thing effortlessly. babies being a curious creatures will of coz move around n explore. therefore you need to show her things that will attract her attention before she gets bored. However, having said that, its ok to let babies gets bored once in a while, the most they will cry for your attention which can be fixed with a little hug or a little comforting words from you.

Be glad that you have a MIL who is there to pamper and spoil your child in an accepting way (if possible), when your ger is older and demand more n more attention from you OR is in her T2 & T3 stage, you will beg some one to take over for even as little as 1 min jus so you can get ur sanity back.

Ting

yes agreed with AB, kid's/baby's attention span is quite short (to us adults).
actually 30 mins is very good alr. some kids maybe only get distracted 1/2 the time.
pin has very short attention span and TV doesnt work with her when she was a baby, so no choice, i always need to find things to entertain her. lucky for me is, she naps alot n long hours. :)

meiteoh

Could it be possible that your baby is going through separation and stranger anxiety whereby if you disappear, she'd start crying, and she needs to be with you 100% of the time? I went through something similar and ended up bathing with my daughter sitting in her Bumbo in front of the bathroom, doing housechores while babywearing her and so forth. And it's not just me. My hubby faces the same problem - cannot disappear from her view, must play with her, must carry her, etc.

But guess what? It only lasted for a while. Now whenever we carry her for too long, she'd demand for some floor time. Haiz.

Why babies go through this is because at this stage, they need to see mummy in order to understand and know that mummy is there. As they get older, they can learn to remember and recall that mummy will come back after disappearing for a while so there is no need to cry. Object permenance, I believe, is what they call that process. You can help teach your child to cope better with "small" separations by playing peek-a-boo or hide and seek games with her. This will help teach her about object permenance.

Why don't you babywear her?

Shane

shane, 30mins is consider long in a baby's perspective! an adult of coz can remain seated or be engross in a certain thing effortlessly. babies being a curious creatures will of coz move around n explore. therefore you need to show her things that will attract her attention before she gets bored. However, having said that, its ok to let babies gets bored once in a while, the most they will cry for your attention which can be fixed with a little hug or a little comforting words from you.

Be glad that you have a MIL who is there to pamper and spoil your child in an accepting way (if possible), when your ger is older and demand more n more attention from you OR is in her T2 & T3 stage, you will beg some one to take over for even as little as 1 min jus so you can get ur sanity back.
Recently I bought a few nursery songs DVD, hope these can entertain her for awhile. =)
I plan to buy toys for her but have no idea where I can get toys that is suitable for 8mths bb.
Yes! I am considered very fortunate already. MIL is quite helpful. We share household chores and taking care of bb. :)

Shane

yes agreed with AB, kid's/baby's attention span is quite short (to us adults).
actually 30 mins is very good alr. some kids maybe only get distracted 1/2 the time.
pin has very short attention span and TV doesnt work with her when she was a baby, so no choice, i always need to find things to entertain her. lucky for me is, she naps alot n long hours. :)
Good for you~ you can rest & do other stuffs while bb nap.
My bb depend, sometime she only takes very short nap. When I finish washing clothes, plan to put on a facial mask. TA DA! She woke up already. -.-|||

Shane

Could it be possible that your baby is going through separation and stranger anxiety whereby if you disappear, she'd start crying, and she needs to be with you 100% of the time? I went through something similar and ended up bathing with my daughter sitting in her Bumbo in front of the bathroom, doing housechores while babywearing her and so forth. And it's not just me. My hubby faces the same problem - cannot disappear from her view, must play with her, must carry her, etc.

But guess what? It only lasted for a while. Now whenever we carry her for too long, she'd demand for some floor time. Haiz.

Why babies go through this is because at this stage, they need to see mummy in order to understand and know that mummy is there. As they get older, they can learn to remember and recall that mummy will come back after disappearing for a while so there is no need to cry. Object permenance, I believe, is what they call that process. You can help teach your child to cope better with "small" separations by playing peek-a-boo or hide and seek games with her. This will help teach her about object permenance.

Why don't you babywear her?
Lucky for me, I have MIL to take over when I need to go for a bath, bb just prefer someone familiar to be with her be it Daddy, FIL, MIL or SIL.
I think you are right that bb is going through separation & stranger anxiety. Cos whenever she is at home she will play and smile with us happily but when she is out at relative’s house. She will show her “BLACK” face. No matter how you play or make a fool of yourself she will just stare at you.

I have tried putting her on a sling when she was 4mths old. She does not like it and I have stop using it.
Now she is 8mths old, I am not sure whether my back can “ta han” the 7kg!!! LOL