What insurance do u have?? and how much u spent a mth??

aIDa81

Hi Mummies recently I've been thinking what insurance to buy for my baby & family, if dun mind pls share yah.. thanks!!!

fioncess

Both my husband and i are in the insurance line. My EDD will be in july '09.
Regarding the insurance you are enquring on. Got to depend on the planning and concern you have for the baby. & tt got to review on both your income and wat do you currently have.

If you want we can arrange a meet up with both you and your husband and discuss.
Of course there wont be any obligation it's just a service we provide.

Btw how old is your baby?

stonston

all 3 of us hv riders plans for hospitalisation, personal accident plans, whole life policies.
then my boy has 2 investment linked insurance plans.

every mth spending ard $500+ in cash on insurance. haven add in our own savings which we hv not decided to invest or get endowment policy.

aIDa81

Hi fioncess Im actually asking the mummies what type of plans do they have..thanks will think abt it..

Stonston, wow yah but its worth investing but endowment not necc meh...

fioncess

Actually ILP and endowment is both for saving. But ILP provide more coverage then endowment. and ILP more flexible so depend on what you really want for your child.

stonston

Fion, would appreciate if u dun PM mummies to advertise ur services. you can jus post in the advertising forum and those who r interested will call up.

Reactions: edy

zhenhui

Hi there, I bot an investment linked policy from HSBC for my son coz i wanna get him some protection as well as to save for his education fees. The education fees are really getting higher hence i tot investment related policy would be better. :)
As for my hubby and myself, we have pure investment policies solely for wealth accumulation as well as life policies for protection and accidental & hospitalisation plans for ourselves. Have signed up for My Shield with Aviva and my son is covered for free. :)

uddermummy

I don't believe in ILP. I always feel that you'll get better coverage from pure insurance and better returns from pure investment.

I've got term and ltd pay policies for critical illnesses, incomeshield, and personal accidents.

for dd, I've bought her as charged hospitalisation plans, and plan to get her those multiple claims and ltd pay plans just before she hits one to lock in the cheap premiums for her.

Am still trying to crack my head on how to start investing for dd's future.

edy

Administrator
Staff member
You could try to read some books on how to investing, watch more TV news (Bloombergs, CNN, BBC), read more investment/business related news papers.

Have some understanding on stocks trading and try it :) ... best if you have a group of friends who are savvy on buying shares.

Also property is a long hedge againts inflation so you might want to consider to buy a property for investment purpose (but not at the currenct market)

CanCanMum

i bought all my insurance from Prudential

1) Whole life policy = me + hubbie = $283.11 per month. Cannot take out $$....only if we die den passed down to Baber

2) Savings plan = me + hubbie = $238.51 per month. Can take $$ out when we turned 55, meaning Babers uni fees (if its enuff!!!)

3) Hospitalization Benefits deducted thru medisave = $800 per year, the 3 of us all add in. But the annual premium will be higher as we grow older.

uddermummy

You could try to read some books on how to investing, watch more TV news (Bloombergs, CNN, BBC), read more investment/business related news papers.

Have some understanding on stocks trading and try it :) ... best if you have a group of friends who are savvy on buying shares.

Also property is a long hedge againts inflation so you might want to consider to buy a property for investment purpose (but not at the currenct market)
actually, I've done all that. The thing is I'm one lazy bum who's now tied up with caring for dear daughter 24/7. The fact that my dear husband is apathetic doesn't help. :( And investment isn't a sexy topic among the women i know. The only savvy investor that i know of is someone I used to date. Haizzz....

I'm also thinking of getting another property for rental and for capital appreciation but hubby not keen on the idea. Can die working if I have to pay for it on my own. :p

am also keen to start with ETFs and index funds. Is that a good idea?

Last edited:

New Daddy

Alpha Male
ETFs and index funds are in a way "no brainers" investments as they do not reflect on the performance of a particular company but rather goes up and down daily according to the index. It doesn't expire but to me seems "boring". If there was ever an STI ETF back 2003, you would have made maybe 20% till now. If you had bought in early this year when STI was 1700, you would have made 40%. But if you had bought in at 3000+ early last year, you would have easily lost 20+%. If more like playing with numbers going uo or down. Not much homework or financial numbers to crunch really.

As for insurance, you can look at some Ltd Pay plans for your baby. I usually recommend them to my clients as the parents need only to pay for a limited period (say 15 years), then the policy is fully paid up when the kid is taking O Levels, fully protecting the child with no more premiums to be paid, and yet still receiving the bonuses every year. To me its a wonderful plan for a child.

titan3227

Alpha Male
uddermummy > I agree in term INS and invest the rest.
cancanmum > sadly, your ins agent sure know how to squeeze out your money

investment market got so many tools,
reits, contra, margin, forex, etc...

perhaps you can narrow the goals, then think of the strategy or options,

kendrachan

uddermummy > I agree in term INS and invest the rest.
cancanmum > sadly, your ins agent sure know how to squeeze out your money

investment market got so many tools,
reits, contra, margin, forex, etc...

perhaps you can narrow the goals, then think of the strategy or options,
But then what is the cheapest term that you can get?

My life policy quite cheap already,because I chose to pay for life.
I can surrender when I grow old to get back most of my money.

If I buy term invest the rest, will the investment made using (whole life premium-term premium) make back those money that I paid for in my term plan?

matchy

Alpha Male
buying term and invest the rest is provided u got the time and effort to time the market and need to closely monitor it to get the best result...

while policies are giving guaranteed and non guaranteed, but the risk is definitely lower compared to investment itself