what is the average "cost" of medical fees?

ysirene

It's a whole new world as I'm about to enter into this whole "motherhood" journey.
Well, I'm still at a stage of trying to conceive honestly, not as easy as in the movie/drama! and at the same time, doing my own study to prepare for this big change.

I want to start making a rough budget from regualr check-ups till delivery.
what will be the average spending "per pregnancy" (sounds funny)?
how much should i expect? what's considered "expensive"?

thank you!

apollo

I rmb the 1st checkup was much more expensive, ard $200+. Subsequent ones are cheaper. And from 12th week onwards, I took up the package, $700. Package include monthly consultation, urine test, ultrasound scan (with the picture given back). Supplements are not included.

At 5mth preg, need to do a detailed scan that cost about $100++. For those optional one like Oscar test cost ard $300++ (correct me if i'm wrong) but i didnt take Oscar as my gynae said my age range is consider 'safe'.

The delivery itself costed me ard $6k+. we paid ard $2.4 cash, the rest in medisave. I took 4 bedded at TMC.

This is just a guideline for you as every gynae and hospital charge differently and also, I gave birth at June 2009, so now the price might increase abit. =)

ysirene

Wow that's giving me some picture already...
Can one start a package from the very first time? Seems more worth it?

Tiggee

Packages usually only start from 12 weeks when the pregnancy is considered 'stable'.
Cos before 12 weeks, the chances of losing the baby (touchwood) is still quite high.

apollo

Nope. the package starts from 12 week onwards (for my gynae). some gynae package only starts from 20 weeks. so for my case, the 1st few visits was at least 100+. most private gynaes has packages but not govt ones.

plaingina

I delivered in kKh in march 11, 4 bedded. After medisave deductions, I paid abt $500+. My pre-natal check ups cost abt $1.4k, of which I can claim $450 from medisave. Mine was normal vaginal delivery with epi.
Hope this info is helpful.

silsangria

I delivered in kKh in march 11, 4 bedded. After medisave deductions, I paid abt $500+. My pre-natal check ups cost abt $1.4k, of which I can claim $450 from medisave. Mine was normal vaginal delivery with epi.
Hope this info is helpful.
Hi Plaingina,

re above, you used medisave for your pre-natal check-ups..was that for the doctor's visits; consultation charges?
can you elaborate more on how you claimed for this? thanks.

pipilili

Anyone here has gone thru C-sect with epidural (non GA) at Mount E?
Can share estimated cost? And whether the service in Mount E is good?

plaingina

Hi Plaingina,

re above, you used medisave for your pre-natal check-ups..was that for the doctor's visits; consultation charges?
can you elaborate more on how you claimed for this? thanks.
Ya, for gynae's visits, excluding medications. If u r a kkh patient all the way, kk will do the necessary submission for you. Dan they will pay u back in the form of a cheque, including unused deposits.

mysweetangel

Anyone here has gone thru C-sect with epidural (non GA) at Mount E?
Can share estimated cost? And whether the service in Mount E is good?

Caesarean Delivery- Elective (2BD) (3 days)
Package Price S$3200
With 7% GST S$3424

Caesarean Delivery- Elective (1BD) (3 days)
Package Price S$4100
With 7% GST S$4387

Last edited:

MamabbJ

Hi mums and mummies to be,

Found a webpage from MOH that compares delivery charges in public and private hospitals:
Ministry of Health: Bill Size Details
These statistics were obtained in 2007. So it is likely that most fees have gone up since.

For public hospitals, the consultation fees do depend on the obsgyn's ranking: eg. Senior consultant vs. Consultant vs. Assoc consultant, etc. and their academic titles Prof, Assoc Prof, Asst Prof may also affect their charges.

In private clinics/hospitals, the obsgyn can charge any amount depending on their skills, popularity, etc.

Maternity packages usually starts after the 2nd trimester (20th week or so). Therefore earlier consultations would be on a pay per visit arrangement.

Delivery charges basically depends on:
1) Type of ward (one bedder, two bedder, etc.)
2) Rank/seniority of your obsgyn
3) Natural or c-sect delivery. C-sect costs more.
4) Assisted or non-assisted labour (assisted: would mean the use of vacuum or forceps) which can only be determined by the doc during labour day.
5) Length of stay in post labour.
6) Use of anaesthesia during labour: epidural, spinal block, pethidine, etc. I think entonox gas is free usually...
7) Sometimes if the baby needs extra paed care, there would be additional charges.

Hope this helps.