What kind of phonics?

nasha

Hi, any mummeis know what kind of phonics class is good for age 5?
Is it letterland phonics/star phonics/jolly phonics or others?
Am confused...Any advice?

1568mummy

hmmm...I never knew there were so many different type of phonics. I started my 5year old boy on phonics (which I don't even know which type) last year, using a CD and a workbook bought from Popular Bookshop. Which to me, was good enough! *wink*

autumn82

I personally feel 3yr old or even younger can start liao... Jus met my DD's teacher today.. She told me if I'm particular abt DD whether she can read now(coz I expressed my concern tt DD can't read), I could send her to attend "I Can Read" for lessons.

In fact, I did tot of it b4, but since I'm home now & its the hols, must as well I teach better.. LOL. Must go find find @@ see look look liao.. Heh.

CanCanMum

my boy oso cannot really read properly...

teach him how? I onli read out loud to him then he will observe my lips and folo...but i find singing out to him easier than reading coz reading is very monotone...

autumn82

Actually best part is to teach them Phonics, the sound of each letter, followed by a word... They will pick up reading fast after knowing how to pronounce.

Coz heard from DD's teacher, if u keep on reading a story book, the child will only memorize the story, and not recognize how to read the word. Give her another book, she won't know how to read.

I just bought "Your Baby Can Read" DVD, intend to let DS watch.. Think now, let both of them watch together.. Haha. :p

January84

if to send for lessons, should start with basics one.

e,g, in community centre they got lessons for this.

after the basics then u research for better schools and send them in.

veronica

I have seen as young as 2yr learning phonics and they are progressing well. I brought my son for this trial and really felt pressurised cos all the kids around his age now know so much but he is not even keen !!

I was told they started around 2yrs old.

nasha

if to send for lessons, should start with basics one.

e,g, in community centre they got lessons for this.

after the basics then u research for better schools and send them in.
Hi January84,

Actually i dont know anythin abt phonics but jus know that its important and theres alot of diff approach of teaching it. So was rather confused of the various phonics class avail..
My 5yr old gal still dont really know her ABC well so me really worried cos next yr going K2 already!!...

January84

Hi January84,

Actually i dont know anythin abt phonics but jus know that its important and theres alot of diff approach of teaching it. So was rather confused of the various phonics class avail..
My 5yr old gal still dont really know her ABC well so me really worried cos next yr going K2 already!!...
yup, i checked with my bro and that;s was his suggestion to me. Phonics have types like basic, imterm and advance...

so for me, i will send my son to CC for basic first before enrol in other advance schools.

for your 5YR old, u can send her to Growing Up Gifted, my friend sent her kids there and its really worth the money.

Melangel

Hi everyone :)

Education can never be undermined.

Each child is different and will learn at a different pace. Thus, it
is important to see each child as an individual and have teaching
customised to suit their learning capacity.

It is our duty to provide them with an enriching environment to
support their learning curve. Having been in the the industry for years, I have finally created my very own program that uses the scaffolding technique to complement the learning of the child. I assess and create a teaching program that is just for the child in question and will keep parents updated at the end of each lesson.

Do feel free to contact me and if you like, you can provide me an email so that I could mail you flyer.

I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Melissa Gunadesa
Hp: 90255-815

MindyE

Hi, I'm new to this portal and just came across the phonics thread.

My son, 19mths, is attending this Tots program at Bibinogs Play Learning ( www.bibinogs.com ). They teach phonics to kids from the infant class onwards, and I've seen kids in my son's class who's learnt from 8-9mths old are able to speak quite a number of words and can repeat most of the phonics alphabet soundings....compared to my son who has just started. They used the Zoo Phonics there, which is nice as there are cute actions that follows the sound, which makes it easier for Toddlers to follow.

Julia Gabriel teachers phonics too, but very minimum. They used more like their in house method, which I didn't find particularly impressive for toddlers to register into their young minds.

Melangel

Hi there,

Zoo phonics is really quite nice because of the actions that go along with the letter sounds. I would also like to state that really, although there are many ways to go about phonics, it is essentially about letter sounds. So there is really no need to stress which is the best way as its all about choosing one method and then sticking to that so that the child will not be confused.

You will be surprised to know that the programmes offered by Julia Gabriel for toddlers are very high in demand! Its a very well planned teaching structure that maximises learning for the child. I have seen with my own eyes how toddlers have benefitted from starting with this :)

Melangel

Hi there,

Zoo phonics is really quite nice because of the actions that go along with the letter sounds. I would also like to state that really, although there are many ways to go about phonics, it is essentially about letter sounds. So there is really no need to stress which is the best way as its all about choosing one method and then sticking to that so that the child will not be confused.

You will be surprised to know that the programmes offered by Julia Gabriel for toddlers are very high in demand! Its a very well planned teaching structure that maximises learning for the child. I have seen with my own eyes how toddlers have benefitted from starting with this :)

bladers

Hi Melissa

Are you still teaching Phonics to children? Please advise if you do provide home tutoring for my 3 yr old, the rates and also your profile and experience, thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Melangel

Hi there!

Yes, I still do teach phonics, we still do home sessions and we now have a centre as we just had too many customers! :)

Our home session rates start from $50 and above. Have a read of our phonics program on our website (www.colourfulhearts.com) and feel free to enquire further. We have trial classes for our phonics program as well and I will be more than happy to give you a discounted rate :)

regards,
Melissa

colourfulhearts

Hello there :)

Holiday workshop June 2012
Date: 4th -8th June 2012
Theme: Let's walk in the park
Time: 1-3pm
Ages: 3 & 4 year olds
Cost: $40 per workshop, per day

15% discount applicable if you sign up before 30th June 2012

This workshop will be taught by Melissa, founder of Colourful Hearts. Melissa has worked in Julia Gabriel & Chiltern House, for 13 years so really, you get the same quality. Melissa also believes in small class sizes so that children's learning can be maximised :)

Have a look at our website (www.colourfulhearts.com) and we can be contacted via phone (6466-7456) or email (contact@colourfulhearts.com).

Hear from you soon :)

With warm regards,

The Colourful Hearts Team!