What type of milk should pregnant woman drink?

cyberie

Taking Friso Mum now.. taste good.. only need 1 cup a day..

Dun like similac... always lumpy..
Never try Annum..

Is Fresh milk is really better than any formula milk?
I thought the formula milk is especially formulated for mummies (with additional vits, etc that is needed)....

i am taking fresh milk
i cant finish milk powder..if you realize 1 tin of mom' milk powder have a shelf life of 1 mth after you open ... end up always throw away the remaining which is close to half a tin ... :(

Brenbelle

Hi cyberie, that's what I thought so to, that these formulated mail is especially for pregnant mummies. I guess both should be the same but formulated milk should have special ingredients catered for mummies.

Hi steffywoofy, I also don't really like the taste of milk powder but just for this time, I force myself to finish them till end of term. I only drink one glass a day (recommended is 2 glasses a day) :)

missyqiqi

I have tried a number of brands before settling on Friso, because most of them turns lumpy, which i will vomit if i drink it coz i hate to drink milk. Only drink it during pregnant n breast feeding. N yes if u have a balance diet u no need to drink the milk but outside food is hard to eat a balanced diet, and also drinking milk to increase calcium which mother will lose a lot during pregnant and after. :)

rosemummy

I took ensure milk blended with oats every morning. It gives me energy and prevents constipation. I tried similac mum and find it too sweet.

Thanks all for the replies. I am taking a glass daily before bedtime, will try Annum Materna as it's quite a popular choice. :)
Yes, Brenbelle! Through this forum, I'm changing my formula milk powder to Anmum Materna too! Helpful forum! Thanks a lot, ladies! =)

tealeaf

Brenbelle, it tastes like milk powder. My friend suggested that I got the chocolate flavor because she could not stand the vanilla flavor. First glass I almost threw up. After finishing the first tin, I am used to the taste.

PinkDiamonds

I did not take any milk as I'm lactose intolerant, but took soya bean milk instead. Mummies who have morning sickness may want to drinking milk in the early months as it can make the queasiness feel worse. :)

ks76mummy

I didn't take any formula milk. Checked with my gynae during my first tri; she just casually said ok to take but her expression told me that it is not absolutely. And I am already taking the vitamins she prescribed so I didn't bother. I did read from other forums that if you drink too much, it might increase risk of gestational diabetes (But I am not sure either, cos no expert here!) :) Am taking low fat HL milk now though...

I have switched from Friso mum to Similac mum. I have a really hard time dissolving Similac Mum milk powder with warm water and it always gets lumpy when I mix it with warm water. But when mixed with room temperature water, it can dissolve quite well except that it's not warm milk anymore. Any mummies know the remedy of mixing milk powder well?

Tannie

I have switched from Friso mum to Similac mum. I have a really hard time dissolving Similac Mum milk powder with warm water and it always gets lumpy when I mix it with warm water. But when mixed with room temperature water, it can dissolve quite well except that it's not warm milk anymore. Any mummies know the remedy of mixing milk powder well?
Hi perky perky, I had the same prob n I wrote to Abott to ask, their nutrient advisor call me n told me that the powder turns lumpy because it contain soluble fibre, hence, we have to dissolve it in room temp water first, then pour hot water to make it warm...hence U will not be able to drink it hot, the most warm. That is the reason why I switch back to Annmum cause u can make with hot water.

elephant81

Am taking Anmum too :D, if you are afraid of the taste of milk or if you hardly drink milk). You can try adding in the instant oats with the milk powder and drink it everyday, the oats will cover the milk taste totally. And you are just like drinking the oats. That's what am trying now in my 1st trimester.. cos am afraid of the milkl taste. :D

i heard some of them saying the vanilla is better than choco as choco is kinda heaty.

Hi perky perky, I had the same prob n I wrote to Abott to ask, their nutrient advisor call me n told me that the powder turns lumpy because it contain soluble fibre, hence, we have to dissolve it in room temp water first, then pour hot water to make it warm...hence U will not be able to drink it hot, the most warm. That is the reason why I switch back to Annmum cause u can make with hot water.
Thanks for sharing, Tannie! I tried your method. Not too bad, but I still get the lumps... (the lumps aren't as big, smaller lumps now) and I'll scoop those small lumps out of the cup and drink it. Think I'll switch to Annmum. Best solution! But thanks anyway! It does help! ;)

Tannie

Thanks for sharing, Tannie! I tried your method. Not too bad, but I still get the lumps... (the lumps aren't as big, smaller lumps now) and I'll scoop those small lumps out of the cup and drink it. Think I'll switch to Annmum. Best solution! But thanks anyway! It does help! ;)
No prob perky perky. Yap Will still get the lump but not as bad... U will hv to dissolved in abt half cup of room temp water...

I dont dare to take formula milk. My teacher took the annmum during pregnancy and she develop lactose intolerance after giving birth. I love drinking milk so dun wan to risk it.

I taking goat milk instead. Low fat and more nutritious than cow milk.