What types of fish to introduce for baby after 6 mths?

shulyn

Hi Mummies,

My boy is approaching 7 mths soon and i would like to find out what types of fish can be introduce other than threadfish (ngho hee). I told my mum cod fish can be given as i saw comments from the mummysg forum that cod fish can be given. My mum strongly disagree as she say cod fish is very oily for young baby stomach and will cause gas etc. She say my uncle who is a fishmonger also dare not let her gal eat cod fish even though my niece is 4 years old now. Other than threadfish and codfish, what other types of fish can we introduce for young baby after 6 mths?

apollo

why codfish cannot?? i think the oily part shd be okay.. cause codfish DHA quite high, very good... :001_302:

shulyn

why codfish cannot?? i think the oily part should be okay.. cause codfish DHA quite high, very good... :001_302:
Hi Reginakoh,

not sure as i told my mum cod fish can be given frm the comments from sg.forum. My mum told me cod fish cannot cos its too oily and will cause gas etc. My mum tends to listen and follow my style but when i told her cod fish, She is very firm towards this. I also wonder why??? Prob the older generation really feel that cod fish is not approriate ba...Btw, did u feed your baby cod fish? At what age? Any problem etc?

Any mum out there also encounter such feedback abt cod fish?

stonston

I do not give cod fish also. It is very oily & some young children cannot take it. The cod fish available in our markets are also not 'wild cod'.

shulyn

I do not give cod fish also. It is very oily & some young children cannot take it. The cod fish available in our markets are also not 'wild cod'.
Oh...tats why my mum very firm not to give cod fish...Btw, wat other fish we can introduce other than threadfish?

Spiralng

Another type of fish which can introduce to babies r the white bait fish(not too sure of the term) Small silver fish a bit like Ikan billis but it's soft. Full of calcium. Makes the porriage taste sweet.

redjn

u can also buy good quality Ikan bilis [江鱼仔] use a blender to blend them into powder store it in the fridge. Can use it in cooking soap / rice / porridge put in the desire amt, this will make the item taste good as well.

redjn

i think RED Snapper is a better choice than the salmon as child may finds the salmon fishy. if u steam a snapper fish they taste sweet.

shulyn

your mum sound pretty logic also.....maybe can also try salmon??? but at this age best is threadfin
Yap Liangjia, my mum tends to listen to me but when i told her cod fish, she is so firm...The older folks definetely knows better:) I have been offering threadfish everyday, so thought of having some changes...

SunShine07

Yap Liangjia, my mum tends to listen to me but when i told her cod fish, she is so firm...The older folks definetely knows better:) I have been offering threadfish everyday, so thought of having some changes...
acutally now ur son still young...for me i give my son threadfin everyday when he is less than a year old....after that i slowly introduce more type like batang fish, cod fish, toman fish (sheng yu).....then using ikan bilis or silver fish to taste better :)

Actually i think threadfin first better cos more easy to chew unless other fishes.

stonston

How much do you buy your 'wild cod' for (per kg) and where do you buy it?
I order it frozen (very hard to get fresh & also v exp) from my regular fishmonger. She charges me around $30+ per kg for fillet only (not whole fish). She's my brother's best friend's mum, so she gives us very good prices. Another fishmonger quoted me same price, but when he delivered the fish, my mum's friend (professional chef) check for us & told us it's not wild cod, it's farmed cod. There's some slight texture different in the flesh which I only know the theory, dunno how to differentiate the real stuff cos lack practice. Always rely on my mum's friend to check our fishes (we usually combine our orders, send to his place, then we pick up fm him later). His grandchildren also eat wild fishes only. No farmed fishes for his family.

snowbear

I order it frozen (very hard to get fresh & also very exp) from my regular fishmonger. She charges me around $30+ per kg for fillet only (not whole fish). She's my brother's best friend's mum, so she gives us very good prices. Another fishmonger quoted me same price, but when he delivered the fish, my mum's friend (professional chef) check for us & told us it's not wild cod, it's farmed cod. There's some slight texture different in the flesh which I only know the theory, dont know how to differentiate the real stuff cos lack practice. Always rely on my mum's friend to check our fishes (we usually combine our orders, send to his place, then we pick up fm him later). His grandchildren also eat wild fishes only. No farmed fishes for his family.
icic... sigh. Then i just have to trust my regular fishmonger since no one to help me chk...

zputriz

relatively u can give cod, kurau, ikan bilis preferably the powderedor live ones, salmon.. salmon make porridge very tasty :) n gd for babies.. all oily fish are..but usually we put in garlic to lessen the fishy smell n sometimes baby may not accustom to the fishyness yet, n may reject.. so u may try n try until baby accept it..