What's the suitable age to bring your child to a movie?

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
MaMa_P said:
Hi Mummies,

i would like to ask as my Title.

Please advise.

Thank you!
Looking at your pic, the baby is definitely too young to go to the movies ... more significantly, the Dolby surround sound system could well cause damage to their hearing.

What's your purpose of bringing your little one to the movies anyways?
If they cannot sit still for more than an hour or if they cannot understand the story-line ... then they're gonna start crying. As a result, you're not gonna enjoy yourselves at the movies anyways.
:embarrassed: :embarrassed:

LoVeS

Looking at your pic, the baby is definitely too young to go to the movies ... more significantly, the Dolby surround sound system could well cause damage to their hearing.

What's your purpose of bringing your little one to the movies anyways?
If they cannot sit still for more than an hour or if they cannot understand the story-line ... then they're gonna start crying. As a result, you're not gonna enjoy yourselves at the movies anyways.
:embarrassed: :embarrassed:
I agreed wif wat u mean on the 2nd paragraph~ I tink the kid haf to b at least 3yo b4 they really will sit still n enjoy the movie for 1hr+~

I brought my 2nd gal to the cinema when she is 2 plus. She enjoyed the movie but cannot sit still lor... Move here move der...

hui_ru_88

The first time when I brought my daughter to the cinema was when she is about 4 months old... She didnt cry or make noises.

The second time was when she is 8 months old. Again, she didnt cry or make noises.

Either she ask for milk or she just watch the movie quietly.

cui_er

If the adults are the one that want to watch the movie, perhaps can try to leave the kids at grandparent's place or something cos if the kids are too small, the sound system may be too loud for their delicate eardrums. Also, if they move around a lot or cry, will disturb other moviegoers, in the end the kids dont't enjoy, you dont't enjoy and other people also dont't enjoy.

If you mean to bring the kids to watch, think at least 3yrs old or when they can keep still for 1.5hrs to watch the show quietly. If not, might as well go and buy the dvd or something. My son could sit quietly to finish a movie when he was about 3+. Of course you understand your own kids best, some might be 5-12mths only, but very quiet type. But the sound system might be too loud still.

On another occasion, my family and I(all adults only) went to watch King Kong. There was another family that brought a baby about 1yr + sitting a few rows in front of us. The baby started crying from about 15mins into the movie till almost all the way till the end, and this was an almost 3hr movie. In between, the adults took turns to carry the baby walking to and fro and there was a lot of movement and noise. Really ruined the movie for the rest of us in the cinema.

I understand that sometimes we might wanna have a break and go enjoy a movie, but if the child's really too small, no point bringing and cause trouble for ownself and irritation for other moviegoers. In my case, I didn't go to see any movies for 2yrs plus till my son learnt to keep quiet and sit still. My house has enough dvds to open a dvd rental stall though, lol :p

Last edited:

ycer

My husband bring my girl, 2.5years to Cinema to watch "Kongfu Panda". She fall a asleep inside. She can only concentrate for the first 30 mins then she seen so boring inside and fall a asleep.

Yesterday, we bought her(3.5years) to watch "Monster& Alien" thought she will like it. She is ok for the first 30mins but later when she watch the movie she start to cry and shout when see those Alien and monster fighting. She seems to be very scare. Turn up I need to hug her and comfort her. I ask her whether she understand the movie, she told me she don't understand and I need to explain to her at side to make her understand. She only understand by the picture showing.

I think it is best to wait for your child ready then bring her to Cinema. You can ask her whether you want to go to Cinema. If her answer is Yes then No problem.

Funz

my kiddos 4 and 6yrs old oredi and I have yet to bring them to the cinema. to them cinema is at home with the curtains drawn and aircon turned on and tons of tidbits and they have the freedom to move around at any time.

I am thinking of bringing them this June since both of them plus myself are crazy about transformers. Hahah. But not sure if they can tahan 2hrs stuck to the seat.

autumn82

I brought my gal to the cinema when she was 2yr+.. she just sit and finished her popcorn until the show ends. For my boy, I brought him to the cinema when he was 1mth old and 5mths old. He just slept thru the movie. Haha. :p

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
LoVeS said:
I agreed wif what you mean on the 2nd paragraph~ I tink the kid have to b at least 3yo before they really will sit still and enjoy the movie for 1hr+~
My older boy is 26 months old today ...

To date, he's been with us in the cinema 3 times:

1) First exposure was in Jun 08, when he was 14 months old ... watching Kongfu Panda. As it was a very entertaining cartoon, he was engaged throughout ... so our concerns were really the very loud sound effects for his "still rather fragile & otherwise unexposed to such loud noises" ear-drums.

2) Second exposure was the past CNY, when he was about 21 months old ... watching Red Cliff II. do not look so shocked but this was a family outing requested by the grandparents ... so, there was no other option but to slug the little one along. Good thing was the movie was screened in the main hall & we chose seats in the middle block ... well away from the 3D-speakers on the walls to the left & right of us. As it was not a cartoon, Seamus end up engaging the grandparents & us ... on a round-robin basis.

3) Latest exposure was in Mar 09, just 2 weeks short of his 2nd birthday ... watching Despereaux at this special screening for children only: Berri Werks Advertising Design Print Events
Although another cartoon, the plot was a bit slow ... & even dense. So, Seamus started to play by himself along the aisle ... luckily, the entire hall was filled with other children's laughter, cries & chatters. So, we didn't feel so guilty about spoiling other people's day.

In conclusion, I just have 2 things to say ...
a) if the reason to go to the movies with your little one is for your own pleasures, then find yourself a trusted baby-sitter.
b) if the reason to go to the movies with your little one is for their exposure, then do consider hopping onto the BerriWerks bandwagon.
:wink: :wink:

MaMa_P

Dear Mummies,

do not worry. I am not brining my boy of 4th month old to a moive. I am just curious about the suitable age to go to a moive.

Just that day, my hubby was asking me this qns. Therefore, i am quite puzzled.

I do agreed that at least an age of 3 yrs old will be approriate.

MaMa_P

The first time when I brought my daughter to the cinema was when she is about 4 months old... She didnt cry or make noises.

The second time was when she is 8 months old. Again, she didnt cry or make noises.

Either she ask for milk or she just watch the movie quietly.
Hi Hui Ru,

so what moive did you bring ur girl to?

jasobias

Hi Mummies,

i would like to ask as my Title.

Please advise.

Thank you!
Hi,
i started taking my kids to the cinema when they were abt 1.U shld go to orchard cineleisure where they do have mum n tots deals b4 2pm..ur kid below 7 gets in for free with purchase of ur tix.They usually air cartoons on their screens while u sit there waiting .Best times would be to go in the mornings when the cinemas r likely to be empty..thts how i started.:tlaugh:
n their bigger cinemas have loos in them a definate plus for mums with kids with tiny bladders.N any movie more than 1hr 30 min shld not even be considered.