What's Wrong With Single Mother Finding A Job?

quincy1986

She isn't my 1st n I don't think she will b my last

Y I share dat particular incident was cos I felt she shldnt have quit since she liked her co workers N d only issue was no one was able 2 look after her son However if she had share her prob wif me Things may have ended differently

We did part on gd terms My staff r still in contact wif her n has informed me dat she has found a cc 4 her son n is currently looking 4 a job She also asked my staff if there is vacancy within my section N they know I don't have since I filled d last vacancy last mth
it's good to know that you are so understanding ;)

fiiefiie

but usually I will state.. there will only be those boss that either look down on you or respect you.
I changed job twice, ex boss n correct boss are very supportive of single mother. and they respect single mother alot.
went to total of 4 interview, out of the 2, 1 boss didn't want to hire me bcos he is certain that I will hve relationship prob n will bring them to work, the other interviewee was looking down on me alot. the way he talk n his facial expression.

nrl

Be strong dear... This is reality.. i think companies are still not open to the idea of a woman married or not being pregnant or having kids.... The moment they knew i was preggy... Alot of issues and throwing-faces are being given and to the extent of asking me should i want to resign. Trust me...
Just go on and don't give up.. Sometimes i feel like punching these ppl!

raoow

Now single parents eligible for childcare and infant care leave! Good news. http://www.singapolitics.sg/news/childcare-and-infant-care-leave-extended-single-parents

scarletng

Well I had that problem too, very hard to find job in new company after I resign, so depress now, savings going to "dry" 1 day soon if still cannot get new job.

MummyBeL

Dear Scarletng,

Maybe you can look out an agency to help you get a job or maybe just get a part time job first. I can understand how you are feeling right now as I did gone through that before. :)

MummyBeL

Sometimes felt that even gov given single mum leave but it still hard out there to get jobs from any company for those single mum looking up for jobs.

scarletng

Dear Scarletng,

Maybe you can look out an agency to help you get a job or maybe just get a part time job first. I can understand how you are feeling right now as I did gone through that before. :)
register few agency, still no news yet from them. any part time job can recommend me ?

Keylene

maybe you can try to spam on jobstreet or jobsdb. :)
My friend is looking for freelance sales people. Flexible timing, high commission but no basic.

It's business to business sales, training will be provided. Anyone interested can PM me.. =)

dgacareer

Hi all, I could empathize with the challenge finding a job as a single mom as some companies may be worried about the number of leaves taken to take care of your babies especially if your babies fall sick.

While it is tough finding an understanding and accommodating boss, there are other options available being your own boss as a self-employed.

I have been in the financial planning business for more than 12 years and I am currently running my own agency. Over the years, I have seen many successful single-mom making it big in the business. And most of the time, it is due to their unwavering motivation, to provide for their children.

This business not only provides a platform to earn a healthy stream of income (and exponential increment for the successful ones!), but more importantly the flexibility to manage your own time and pace of your business so that you can take care of your first priority, your child.

Having said that, the caveat to your success is the amount of dedication you need to put into your business, and how willing are you to be trained, and having the right attitude in the business, in addition to the minimum requirements you need to join this business.

With a financial support scheme and training provided, it is entirely possible to out-earn your fixed salary, yet being empowered to manage your work-life.

Do keep your options open to explore the possibilities out there. If you need any info, feel free to pm me.

Remember, there are 3 basic rules in life:

1. If you do not GO AFTER what you want, you'll NEVER have it
2. If you do not ASK, the answer will always be a NO
3. If you do not STEP FORWARD, you will always be in the SAME place

I wish all the best in your pursuit of happiness.

fiiefiie

i think im really pretty lucky.. for my previous job search i interviewed 2 places, said that im a single mom, first 1 said they dont want any trouble from me ie. r/s prob, 2nd 1 said they admire single mom very much, so i was hired on the spot.
current job search, interviewed 2 places as well.. 1st 1 didnt say anything but hired me a few weeks later, 2nd 1 gave a weird expression, "you got daughter arh?"

yukisy

dont be depressed. I used to face such discriminations too.
actually, come to think of that, maybe the employers had their concerns too
i.e: who is able to look after your baby if you are at work, if baby is sick who can help? is there any other care giver besides yourself?
your child is still a baby, need more attention like going for immunization jabs etc
so to counter all these pre-concerns, first of all ask yourself these questions
1. are you able to get your parents support while you are at work?
2. if no to the above, then can you get a trusted person to be the baby sitter?
3. if yes to the above, then are you able to afford the monthly baby sitter fees?
there is absoultely nothing wrong with Single mother finding a job, but regardless married or single mums, all face these same concerns
married mums also faced, let alone single mothers?
the difference is, married mum may be able to seek in laws help, wherelse single mum only have own parents, but some times own parents may not be able to help too
If you can sort out these concerns, I quite sure you should be able to get a job.
Why dont you try to set up some online business on your own?