When can start bringing my newborn out??

angelwendy

Hi all mummy.. Just wanna to ask.. When can we start bringing our newborn out to shopping or for a walk?? Is it right after my confinment ? Or still need to wait?? & also anything to avoid??

jasobias

my baby was just 4 days when we brought her shopping!!But go off peak times when the place is empty.I think after 1 week if u can manage can bring baby for walk even under the blk.Fresh air is always gd

apollo

1st time was during his 1st checkup when he was ard 6th or 7th day old.

2nd time was when he was ard 2week old iirc, cos he was having lotsa lotsa eye discharge, we dunno hw to see if got infection anot so bring him to pd.

3rd time was when he was 4th week old, brough him to inlaws' place for his full mth n few days later brought him to shopping centres to find my frens.

some elderly said must wrap the baby up if u wanna bring them our, but i did NOT do so. in fact the 2nd time, when we brought him to see a pd, we didnt wrap him up at all, let him wear short sleeves romper, didnt gif him any bean bag, an auntie came forward to 'lecture' us, saying we dunno hw to take care baby, lik tt he will feel cold, will feel insecure etc. but we dun believe in wrapping babies up at all, even my mum dont allow us to wrap ds up when he reached 1 week old. haha.

just make sure he is wearin mitten n booties will do.. bring along MORE THAN ENOUGH milk bottle & FM (if u're not bf-ing), Diapers, Hankies, a blanket/cloth in case the place u go has strong aircon.. u can bring more but not just-nice quantity. =)

apollo

btw, if u dont feel confident bringing ur baby to too far, mayb u can start off from ur void deck, bring him down to the void deck hav a 10min walk.. slowly u'll agar agar noe his 'pattern'.. hehe :001_302:

hubby and i just brought my newborn out today for the second time. (first time was for newborn review)

actually we wanted to go for a buffet ourselves. but unfortunately, my mom made plans with my aunt already. then i quickly sms my sis but she too, have gone out with her sons already. PILs already made it clear that they do not want to baby sit at all. so..... no choice. gotta cancel buffet reservations. but i only go out with hubby twice a week so i really cherish the half day he have for me today. the rest of the week, well, as u guessed it. i'll be cooped up at home. since i die die must go out for a breather today, we decided to just bring baby out for a couple of hours and see how it is.

to be frank, i was a bit stressful. cause it was my first time using the sarong. i was afraid that ppl might knock into her... was afraid she might suddenly cry.... was afraid she might get too hot inside the sarong (felt her sweat on the neck area).... afraid the aircon might be too cold. lol... but everything turned out ok. *phew*

anyway, i guess when you can handle your newborn well enough and really prepared for it, a couple of hours should be fine. although our elderly may not like it. :wong10:

oh ya avoid crowded places cause baby very vulnerable, prone to infections. also never never touch baby's face (esp. mouth and eyes) after your hands get contact with anything... such as lift buttons, merchandize, door handles, etc. im pretty KS about this.

Last edited:

baby_elmo

:we2Randy-git:i brought my gal several times during confinement. 3 times to polyclinic and few times back to my mum's place. too bored to stay at home.

just ensure that you protect baby eyes direct from sunlight and direct afternoon sun on baby's body b'cos their skins are too thin and delicate. :embarrassed: afraid they will get sun burn.

apollo

hubby and i just brought my newborn out today for the second time. (first time was for newborn review)

actually we wanted to go for a buffet ourselves. but unfortunately, my mom made plans with my aunt already. then i quickly sms my sis but she too, have gone out with her sons already. PILs already made it clear that they do not want to baby sit at all. so..... no choice. gotta cancel buffet reservations. but i only go out with hubby twice a week so i really cherish the half day he have for me today. the rest of the week, well, as you guessed it. i'll be cooped up at home. since i die die must go out for a breather today, we decided to just bring baby out for a couple of hours and see how it is.

to be frank, i was a bit stressful. cause it was my first time using the sarong. i was afraid that ppl might knock into her... was afraid she might suddenly cry.... was afraid she might get too hot inside the sarong (felt her sweat on the neck area).... afraid the aircon might be too cold. lol... but everything turned out ok. *phew*

anyway, i guess when you can handle your newborn well enough and really prepared for it, a couple of hours should be fine. although our elderly may not like it. :wong10:

oh ya avoid crowded places cause baby very vulnerable, prone to infections. also never never touch baby's face (esp. mouth and eyes) after your hands get contact with anything... such as lift buttons, merchandize, door handles, etc. im pretty KS about this.
same here. esp when ds got ill many times when he was younger. when strangers ard us coughed or sneezed, i can just push the stroller and walk very fast, v kua zhang but i was lik tt. haha..

and u're right, for newborn babies, better avoid too crowded places, tt's y i suggested bring newborn babies to void deck or park for a 10min walk 1st to try out.. hehe :tlaugh:

same here. esp when dear son got ill many times when he was younger. when strangers around us coughed or sneezed, i can just push the stroller and walk very fast, very kua zhang but i was lik that. haha..

and you're right, for newborn babies, better avoid too crowded places, that's y i suggested bring newborn babies to void deck or park for a 10min walk 1st to try out.. hehe :tlaugh:
high 5! even without baby around i also very KS very kua zhang about the sneezes n coughs from strangers. why take the risk right? hehe

apollo

high 5! even without baby around i also very KS very kua zhang about the sneezes n coughs from strangers. why take the risk right? hehe
haha! actually horr last time i buay kiasi one.. only aft having ds. i scare ppl pass to me den i pass to ds.. most buay tahan is ppl touching my boyboy's face n hands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! last time brought him to checkup, he just recover from cough den an auntie keep touch his hands, i so scare! lucky my fren quickly carried him to wash hands while i made payment.. haha!

oOps! i side track so far liaoooo.. paiseh! :001_302:

candy_ian

I think if you're comfortable can bring baby downstairs ard the park for a walk.. Other than the jaundice reviews I brought my son to the park in the mornings every alt day. After his full month I brought him to shopping malls n sil's place often till now my son's daily routine is to go gaigai..

haha! actually horr last time i buay kiasi one.. only after having dear son. i scare ppl pass to me then i pass to dear son.. most buay tahan is ppl touching my boyboy's face n hands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! last time brought him to checkup, he just recover from cough then an auntie keep touch his hands, i so scare! lucky my friend quickly carried him to wash hands while i made payment.. haha!

oOps! i side track so far liaoooo.. paiseh! :001_302:
think we should start a post on this LOL

wah your friend really caring also ahh! :tlaugh:

woofy55

wendy - we 1st brought louis out also during his 1st review. then subsquently 2 more times cos Louis went back PD to check the jaundice level. Got once, we bring him to marina sq and thot of going shopping, but we u-turned back to our car after we pass few shops.. cos we suddenly dun feel good and find him too tiny to be outside where there could be germs and infections. Other than that we coop at home :( it's really going-crazy-period. But I did bring him downstairs walk walk for a while just for breather. If you thinking of bringing him out - choose offpeak period.. ie. early morning. Perhaps u and hubby can enjoy a peaceful breakfast together in the mall. Swensons wkend got nice breakfast sets. hehe.. that's our usual hangout during wkends nowadays. And when the crowd starts to come in, we leave... hehe

pineappletart/apollo - hv u all started a new thread on ks-ness? I also hv something to add.. haha.. that time i went to my fren's wedding dinner and so saw a lot of our ex-classmates and their children. One of them abt 1yr plus 2 yrs old.. saw louis.. and bend down to kiss him (louis is in stroller).. OH So sweet right? But soon after, I discovered that he's having flu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! alamak, i find his parents also buay zi dong... then when the child come again.. we quickly jia jia stand up and turn away and talk to other ppl.. :(

apollo

wendy - we 1st brought louis out also during his 1st review. then subsquently 2 more times cos Louis went back pediatrician to check the jaundice level. Got once, we bring him to marina sq and thot of going shopping, but we you-turned back to our car after we pass few shops.. cos we suddenly dont feel good and find him too tiny to be outside where there could be germs and infections. Other than that we coop at home :( it's really going-crazy-period. But I did bring him downstairs walk walk for a while just for breather. If you thinking of bringing him out - choose offpeak period.. ie. early morning. Perhaps you and hubby can enjoy a peaceful breakfast together in the mall. Swensons wkend got nice breakfast sets. hehe.. that's our usual hangout during wkends nowadays. And when the crowd starts to come in, we leave... hehe

pineappletart/apollo - have you all started a new thread on ks-ness? I also have something to add.. haha.. that time i went to my friend's wedding dinner and so saw a lot of our ex-classmates and their children. One of them about 1yr plus 2 yrs old.. saw louis.. and bend down to kiss him (louis is in stroller).. OH So sweet right? But soon after, I discovered that he's having flu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! alamak, i find his parents also buay zi dong... then when the child come again.. we quickly jia jia stand up and turn away and talk to other ppl.. :(
u also interested ahh??

okok, i now go start this thread.. will post at Parenting thread!

pineappletart!! where r u???!!!! see your in another thread! LOL!

cocraze

I brought my girl out to paed consultation on Day 4 thereabouts. Within confinement month, brought her out largely only to see paed.

I had a confinement lady with me during the first 4 weeks, so most of the time, girl was at home, even when I had to go see gynae at 2 weeks.

After that, I was taking care of girl, so I was also cooped up at home almost 24/7. Mostly brought out only when hubby drive, otherwise bring her out very troublesome, I cannot cope alone with stroller and bag stuff.

How to prepare depends on how long you are going to be out for. Whether you wrap your baby up with long sleeved clothes etc is up to you and your baby's habit, whether he/she is comfortable.

Attire - I never wore a cap for my girl, just dress in short sleeved most convertable in SG weather. I wrap her or cover her in nappy cloth if she is in aircon places.

Stuff - bring necessary stuff for feed/diaper change lor.

Good advice to start preparation by bringing to nearer places (e.g. void deck) before venturing further. That's what I did when I first tried to bring girl out alone in baby carrier. First time bring her out when I went downstairs coffeeshop to buy lunch. Second time on a short shopping trip to buy her bottles. :)

woofy55: erm... looking at the pic of your dear louis... i also want to kiss kiss
wahhahahahaha :001_302:

apollo: here! here! hehe pieseh went to check out other posts too :tlaugh:

Ting

besides gg to the clinics n hosp, first official outing was after my confinement. :)

angelwendy

Hi all mummy me & hubby bring our son out ytd to vivo city for just lunch with a frenz with her 3 mth old daughter then we head back home before 6pm... hee.. it was fun.. but bringing out a baby is tiring....

joeyz

my baby was just 4 days when we brought her shopping!!But go off peak times when the place is empty.I think after 1 week if you can manage can bring baby for walk even under the blk.Fresh air is always good
same here too, i brought dear son for a stroll downstair upon he discharge from hospital. 3 days old. and following day took him to my neighbourhood mall. Like what jasobias mummy mentioned, try to go during offpeak hour where there is less crowd. :)