When did your toddler start talking?

tika

My in laws have been asking me when my 16 mth old will start to talk in sentences. They complain she's taking too long. I usually tell them I'm not God so I don't know when. All I know is she will start talking when SHE's READY to talk.

I am actually quite pleased that my girl can at least say afew words like...

Mama, Dad-dey
Baboos (bubbles)
Shoes
Car
Bao (Ball)
Ber (Bird)
Eee Zirrty (Eee Dirty)
Goal
Cheh (Chair)

And probably afew other simple words...

One thing hubby and I notice is, she seems to understand more words than she is able to say out loud. That is normal right?

Like she knows which drawer to open to get her diaper and how to turn on the fan or where to fetch my bedroom slippers when I tell her to.

uddermummy

I think bbs tend to surprise us with how much they know. Your girl is prob processing a lot of stuff in her cute little head and one of these days, she'll shock the pants off your in laws when she starts talking in complete sentences non-stop!

tika

and one of these days, she'll shock the pants off your in laws when she starts talking in complete sentences non-stop!
hahaha. that would be hilarious.

But i won't be surprised when she does start talking, they will start commenting how talkative and very noisy she is. I never understood why these people (my own parents included) must be so negative about everything.

Ting

pin starting blabbering arnd 8-9 mths old.
can start callin mama arnd tt age.
then slowly pick up words.
cant exactly rmb when she started talking, but she could speak pretty well b4 she was 18mths.
we can understand her wants n needs easily.
now at abt 2.5 years old, she can speak very well in sentences n many ppl tot she is alr 3-4 year old due to the way she speaks.
i guess its more on encouraging the child to speak, speak to them more often.
n ask questions for them to answer to encourage them.

yeah, pin talks alot n non stop now.
sometimes, i will just ask her to ZIP! if not the bee flies into her mouth.
hahaha.
n she even talk back to me now!!
like just ytd, she was watchin her dvds, so i got home n went in to talk to her, she turn to me n say:"im watching tv, dun disturb me." i was... -.-"

jasobias

My in laws have been asking me when my 16 month old will start to talk in sentences. They complain she's taking too long. I usually tell them I'm not God so I dont't know when. All I know is she will start talking when SHE's READY to talk.

Mama, Dad-dey
Baboos (bubbles)
Shoes
Car
Bao (Ball)
Ber (Bird)
Eee Zirrty (Eee Dirty)
Goal
Cheh (Chair)

One thing hubby and I notice is, she seems to understand more words than she is able to say out loud. That is normal right?

Like she knows which drawer to open to get her diaper and how to turn on the fan or where to fetch my bedroom slippers when I tell her to.
i think the cut off is abt 24 months when ur baby is suppose to say simple sentences.Still a long way to go.N their pronounciation is usually not so gd at this young age..the kind only mummy can understand..heheheh.Dont worry abt it..all kids r like tht.N they want her to talk in sentences so early for wht?to give a speech is it?!!

snowbear

My in laws have been asking me when my 16 month old will start to talk in sentences. They complain she's taking too long. I usually tell them I'm not God so I dont't know when. All I know is she will start talking when SHE's READY to talk.

Mama, Dad-dey
Baboos (bubbles)
Shoes
Car
Bao (Ball)
Ber (Bird)
Eee Zirrty (Eee Dirty)
Goal
Cheh (Chair)

That's normal. Young children understand more words than they can speak. :) No cause for worry...

CanCanMum

Baber talked only when he was 2.5 years old :(

generally girls are faster den boys??? Tats what i was told....?

autumn82

yeah, that's what i read. But your boi boi can now speak quite well right? :)
Can even quarrel and sajiaOoo.. U say speaking well? :p Wahahahah :tlaugh::tlaugh::tlaugh::tlaugh:

I'm worried abt Iggy coz up to today, he still have yet to call mama or papa, so much slower than his sister.. :x

CanCanMum

Can even quarrel and sajiaOoo.. you say speaking well? :p Wahahahah :tlaugh::tlaugh::tlaugh::tlaugh:

I'm worried about Iggy coz up to today, he still have yet to call mama or papa, so much slower than his sister.. :x
wahahhahha~~~~he told me to dump the clock away so that he can sleep at any time no need to watch the clock wahhahahah~~~~:p

yeah, that's what i read. But your boi boi can now speak quite well right? :)
quite ok laa....at least can communicate with him like i talked to an "adult" because hes tryin to act adult.

Triquetra

My nephew is almost 2 years 8 months and still speaking gibberish.
He cannot speak in sentence and knows limited vocabulary. Is that normal?
I brought him to see a GP a couple of months ago because of his flu and the doctor said that kids his age shouldn't be speaking like that anymore.
My SIL has booked an appointment with the speech therapist but it will be in November.

CanCanMum

I brought him to see a GP a couple of months ago because of his flu and the doctor said that kids his age shouldn't be speaking like that anymore.
My sister In law has booked an appointment with the speech therapist but it will be in November.
I think most of the online guides says toddlers should start speaking complete sentences by 2 to 2.5 years thereabouts. But i remember Baber can only form clear and complete sentences and able to express himself better at around 3 years old. When he started talking, some of the words are still not clear or he mumbled mumbled.....

it helps to see a speech therapist for professional advice and to get a peace of mind as well.

but once they start speaking out loud will be non-stop lols~~

redjn

my boy start mumbling at 7-8 mths. His 1st words were mummy & grandma (in chinese). he start pieces of sentancing @ 1 yrs by the time he reach 18 mths he already able to communication simple way with me :)

Ting

i read online tt, if by a certain age (following the guidelines) they still cant speak, they might have hearing problems.
if not, they cant speak properly or too slow, then might need to see a speech therapist to see whats gg on.

Triquetra

My nephew talks non stop in his own language which is like a combination of tamil and korean -.-"

Most of the times he will just insist on doing things his ways regardless of how we try to talk to him, that will always lead us to wondering if he can even understand us. If he doesn't get what he wants he will just keep screaming away. He cannot express any of his needs verbally, when he wants milk he will carry his tin of milk to us.

However at times he will seem able to understand some simple instructions or will repeat after what we say. His understanding is extremely selective and random (sometimes he follows instruction, sometimes he ignores).

tika

and she even talk back to me now!!
like just ytd, she was watchin her dvds, so i got home and went in to talk to her, she turn to me and say:"im watching tv, dont disturb me." i was... -.-"
Hahaha so cute. I actually dread the day my girl will start to realise she can talk back to me too.

Dont worry about it..all kids are like tht.and they want her to talk in sentences so early for wht?to give a speech is it?!!
Haha! I'll use that the next time they ask me again. My MIL likes to compare to when she was SAHM to hubby when he was a toddler. She said he could talk quite fast. But every child is different what!!

Baber talked only when he was 2.5 years old :(

generally girls are faster then boys??? Tats what i was told....?
that's what I heard from my other mommy friends too. How true is it ahh? I remember my sister's twin toddlers couldn't talk till they started Appletree. They were about 2 - 2.5 years old. So maybe its not the gender but just the age? Hmmm..

tika

My sister In law has booked an appointment with the speech therapist but it will be in November.
which speech therapist did your sister in law make an appt with?

My nephew, 4 year old and niece, 3 year old still speaks like a baby. They can't pronounce words with letters K, C, S, L properly.

For example...

Jakarta = Jatata
Santa Claus = Chanta Chos
See = Shee
Birthday = Berg-day

Each time they pronounce something wrongly, I will repeat the right pronounciation, hoping they will catch the right sounds. My sister in law is from the Philippines, I'm starting to wonder whether her natural Philippino accent has an effect on the children. But even if it does, it shdn't contribute to the fact that the children can't pronounce certain Alphabets right?

dawn

hi, do you know which speech therapist is your sis-in-law going to consult? i'm huntin for one myself .. i mean for my ds. thanks :001_302:

Ting

which speech therapist did your sister in law make an appt with?

My nephew, 4 year old and niece, 3 year old still speaks like a baby. They can't pronounce words with letters K, C, S, L properly.

For example...

Jakarta = Jatata
Santa Claus = Chanta Chos
See = Shee
Birthday = Berg-day

Each time they pronounce something wrongly, I will repeat the right pronounciation, hoping they will catch the right sounds. My sister in law is from the Philippines, I'm starting to wonder whether her natural Philippino accent has an effect on the children. But even if it does, it shdn't contribute to the fact that the children can't pronounce certain Alphabets right?

filipino english is actually more western than our singapore english.
cos my uncle's wife is filo, so my cousins r also half filo, n they speak very good eng. n my cousin's employees r filos too, they speak pretty well.

need to guide them more, given pin age now, she can speak quite fluently, n have a wide vocab alr. but mostly thanks to my dad who teaches her alot. :p