When do you start letting your baby self-feed (semi-solid meals)

snowbear

Hi mummies,
I was reading and i came across the recommendation that babies should learn to feed themselves at meal time from 9 months onwards. My niece self-fed very early also (i think about that time) and I really dun think a baby is capable of feeding herself at that age. I rem the food ended up all over the floor and the chair and hardly any in the mouth. I certainly dun want my hard work in preparing her meals go down the drain... plus I'm using the Combi highchair and it's not splat-proof (it's cushion material).

Hence, i'm wondering if anyone can share when a baby is really capable of feeding herself (and not the floor). Thanks.

autumn82

Hi mummies,
I was reading and i came across the recommendation that babies should learn to feed themselves at meal time from 9 months onwards. My niece self-fed very early also (i think about that time) and I really dun think a baby is capable of feeding herself at that age. I rem the food ended up all over the floor and the chair and hardly any in the mouth. I certainly dun want my hard work in preparing her meals go down the drain... plus I'm using the Combi highchair and it's not splat-proof (it's cushion material).

Hence, i'm wondering if anyone can share when a baby is really capable of feeding herself (and not the floor). Thanks.
Erm... Frankly speaking, that's the learning stage for self feed that the food usually ends up on the floor.. :p For my DD, she started to self feed (amatuer) only when she was in playgroup (2yr old), where there is peer pressure.. :tlaugh:Really feed herself (Intermediate) properly started in Nursury.. :001_302:

To some, prob my DD is quite slow coz none of us can tahan her eating sooo slowly, so we feed her instead.

snowbear

Erm... Frankly speaking, that's the learning stage for self feed that the food usually ends up on the floor.. :p For my DD, she started to self feed (amatuer) only when she was in playgroup (2yr old), where there is peer pressure.. :tlaugh:Really feed herself (Intermediate) properly started in Nursury.. :001_302:

To some, prob my DD is quite slow coz none of us can tahan her eating sooo slowly, so we feed her instead.
Well, i guess then that eventually they will learn to feed themselves so there's no need to let them self-feed so early... Right now, when my DD grabs the spoon, she'll play with the food on the spoon with the other hand and not put the spoon in the mouth. Haha...

CanCanMum

u mean using spoon or finger foods?

finger foods yes, they can feed themselves by around 9-10 months....but super messy de la....biscuit bits everywhere...saliva everywhere~~~

but around i dink 18months onwards they can slowly feed themselves using spoon/fork but oso super messy de~

my sonnie now can feed himself....but oso messy de lor

forever messy ~~~

autumn82

finger foods yes, they can feed themselves by around 9-10 months....but super messy de la....biscuit bits everywhere...saliva everywhere~~~

but around i dink 18months onwards they can slowly feed themselves using spoon/fork but oso super messy de~

forever messy ~~~
She bluff ppl de!!! Yr baby feeds himself SO WELL!!!

Dee Ho

hahaha... I have the same situation like the mummies out there... I did let my DS to feed by himself ...end up he "donates" his lunch or dinner to the floor, shirt, pant and his chair... I dun noe wan to laugh or cry ...Haiz... some sucess on letting him eat finger food like wat Can Can mum says... no that messy still bearable... :elvis:

I tink maybi can let them try when reach almost 2 yrs old..by then I tink they ll noe how to feed themselves....

AugBoyz

The process of learning to feed thyself is to make a mess of every type of food~ hahahaha~ This is what i feel. DS uses fingers to eat when he is ard 1yr old, use spoon ard 19-20mths, of coz food every where. And I allow him to use hand n spoon together to eat. He started to be less mess when he is abt 28mths or so, can even bring the bowl up to his lips to drink soup. Now at 31mths I just prepare his food in a bowl n leave him alone to eat, still messy but not as much, at least we can have our dinner in peace.

One thing to bear in mind, dun be mad when ur kid is make a huge mess while learning to feed himself, its expected, just clean it after wards. Dun scold or be fed up when ever a mess is created, this way both of u will feel stressed up during meal times.

Also to note that when u start giving the spoons to ur kid, forget about taking it back fm him when eating, it will start a tug of war *lol* He may be interested in playing with the spoon; waving it around, banging the table, plates etc instead f using it to scope food, its ok... they are exploring the use of the spoon. What I do is I will let him "play" with the spoon and feed him using another spoon.

Hope the above helps~ Happy Feeding~~

snowbear

forever messy ~~~
Using spoon...

Ok, i think i'll just let her try feeding herself when she's much older. keke. She so small-sized already, if she donates her food to the floor i dunno what will happen!!! :tlaugh: