When do you start reading to your baby?

WinnieL

I'm in my 13th week, and I'm wondering.. when do you start reading to your baby? What do you read?

Also.. I heard that music is good too. What music?

baby can only hear from 18weeks onwards, so hubby read to him from then on. we read bedtime stories to him and sing lullaby occasionally. reading to babies can make him/her familiar with the parents voice thus can bond better and soothe the baby once he/she is born.
i don't on music cos don't want baby get used to it, read that music can help baby sleep better before and after born, but can get dependent on it. but i know some mommies on slow music or instrumental music for their babies.

Stan

I'm in my 13th week, and I'm wondering.. when do you start reading to your baby? What do you read?

Also.. I heard that music is good too. What music?
Hubby started reading bedtime stories to baby at around 20 weeks... every night same timing at 1030pm... so now when it is around this time, baby will kick and kick... :tlaugh:
He reads both fairy tales and nursery rhymes.

stonston

I started reading to my boy when I was around 18weeks pregnant.

Read all sorts of children story books, health magazines, bible, moral story books :)

I listen to all sorts of music. I was still playing the guzheng & cello when I was preggie, so I think my boy is more musically inclined :p Plus at tt time I was trying to learn drums (I think this explains his love for drums now!).

iwan2noe

baby can only hear from 18weeks onwards, so hubby read to him from then on. we read bedtime stories to him and sing lullaby occasionally. reading to babies can make him/her familiar with the parents voice thus can bond better and soothe the baby once he/she is born.
i dont't on music cos dont't want baby get used to it, read that music can help baby sleep better before and after born, but can get dependent on it. but i know some mommies on slow music or instrumental music for their babies.
Hi all mtbs,

I read abt this issue ytd too.. From 17 wks onwards, the baby will be able to listen to voice, esp bb's mum most of the time , including heartbeats and sounds from her internal organs. Then bb at this stage can also listen to sounds from the external environment. Read that the voice bb hears fr mother sounds like when in vacumm..hehe..wondering how it sounds like...

Hmm, sometimes i think our little one in our tummy are so cute that I hope i have transparent tummy so that i can see what is my bb is doing...hehe... so cute!:001_302::wong19:

ohstrawberry

I started talking to my baby at ard 17wks, then 20wks onwards, i read stories and sing lullaby before bedtime ard 9.30pm.
Till now at 26wks, he kinda of getting use to the timing of hearing my voice, sometimes he will start kicking me ard that time to remind me. If i'm working night shift and unable to read to him, I had to talk to him for a while and explain that i'm working and can't read stories to him, after a while he will quiet down again.
So funny, i think he can undertand us lor. but my husband dun agree, he says baby dun understand one la, they just hear sounds only.
But he still greet my baby every morning before he go to work and say goodnite to him before he sleep, cause i told him from the book, the baby will recognise voices and will know who is the mum & daddy when he comes out by hearing our voices, hahaha

iwan2noe

I started talking to my baby at around 17wks, then 20wks onwards, i read stories and sing lullaby before bedtime around 9.30pm.
Till now at 26wks, he kinda of getting use to the timing of hearing my voice, sometimes he will start kicking me around that time to remind me. If i'm working night shift and unable to read to him, I had to talk to him for a while and explain that i'm working and can't read stories to him, after a while he will quiet down again.
So funny, i think he can undertand us . but my husband dont agree, he says baby dont understand one , they just hear sounds only.
But he still greet my baby every morning before he go to work and say goodnite to him before he sleep, cause i told him from the book, the baby will recognise voices and will know who is the mum & daddy when he comes out by hearing our voices, hahaha
Hello ohstrawberry,

I totally agree with u. our bb will recognise our voices starting from wk 17.. I talk to my bb nowadays since I reach ard mid wk 16(kiasu:001_302:) hee
Although I have not experience the kicking yet but so far my 'negotiation' with my bb works..

May I ask what stories do u read to ur bb ar? can share?? I am clueless abt it.......:err:

ohstrawberry

Hello ohstrawberry,

I totally agree with you. our baby will recognise our voices starting from wk 17.. I talk to my baby nowadays since I reach around mid wk 16(kiasu:001_302:) hee
Although I have not experience the kicking yet but so far my 'negotiation' with my baby works..

May I ask what stories do you read to your baby ar? can share?? I am clueless about it.......:err:
I read ladybird story books for 1-3yrs old, nursery rhymes and bedtime rhymes. Sometimes i also read magazine articles about animals, plants and nature. No need to keep buying new books, repeating the same stories and nursery rhymes everyday is fine. Soon after you will find out the baby fav songs by his reaction, hahaha...
As for my baby, i think he prefers i sing to him than reading to him, hahaha, maybe just my own thoughts.......

iwan2noe

I read ladybird story books for 1-3yrs old, nursery rhymes and bedtime rhymes. Sometimes i also read magazine articles about animals, plants and nature. No need to keep buying new books, repeating the same stories and nursery rhymes everyday is fine. Soon after you will find out the baby fav songs by his reaction, hahaha...
As for my baby, i think he prefers i sing to him than reading to him, hahaha, maybe just my own thoughts.......
Hi!

I start reading to my baby when I am currently in my 19th weeks! Finally borrowed books from the national lib at the pre-nursery section to read to my bb. So far had read 2 stories to him :)

My hubby and I take turns to read to our bb :shyxxx:
hee

snowbear

I started reading to my dd once i read that she could hear - about 17-18wks? I'd read children storybooks to her n sing too. For music, i'd listen to classical and instrumental music.

mummycheek

I just started reading to my boy,15weeks old. Read to him books like Clifford or anything with lots of pictures and colors.