When is the right time to resign?

corinne22

My job is hectic and I always have to OT until late. Job doesn't pays well but the reason for me staying is the job recognisation. Juggling between pregnancy and hectic work is not easy and I really feel like a lousy mom-to-be because of irregular meals, OT and stress. Although people around me are are being as much understanding towards me, still...I always have the feel of "I could have a happier pregnancy without my current work..."

Anyway, I have decided to leave my job as I really want to have a more predictable working time. My EDD is in Jan/Feb 2011 and I should be back to work by June 2011.

My main concern now is that I will enjoy my bonus which usually comes in end July.

As a responsible worker, I feel I should at least verbally inform my boss that I will be leaving soon after my maternity. But I don't know when is the best time to break the news to my boss because telling her too early means I might be "discounted" or "excluded" from the bonus. I don't want to be caught "burning bridges" either if I straight away tender my resignation right after I return from maternity.

What should I do? I am really lost and confused... :(

candy_ian

Do u have to serve a one month notice? For me I resigned after my maternity leave n due to lack of a month notice I had to compensate a month's pay n nearly half of my maternity leave as well but bcos I took a month of hospitalization leave after my maternity leave due to a wound infection I was spared of the maternity leave compensation in the en paid a month of my pay.

diymummy

What is your company's resignation policy?

For my company, my resignation notice period is 3 mths. Maternity leave is not included in the notice period. ie, after I finish my maternity leave, I have to work another 3 months if I intend t leave my current company.

If I were you, I wouldn't pre-empt my boss. If your notice period is 3 mths like mine, I think it is more than enough time to hand over your work plus receive your bonus. I feel it also pretty much depends on your boss. If your boss is also a family person and impartial (ie, fair), then he/she wouldn't take it to heart that you're leaving because of your new child.

Rather than tendering, how abt discussing with your boss if there're other departments you can transfer to with more predictable hours?

corinne22

I just need to serve 1 mth notice if I resign... There might be possibilities that my company wants me to stay a little bit longer (like 2-3 mths) to hand over or to train the next one. But of course it depends what they say when I submit my resignation.

So that means if I tender right after I return from maternity, I will have to stay for another mth.

Well, I did thought about asking for transfer BUT I know the company too well... There isn't such vacancy and they won't do it knowing that I am suitable for my current role. Anyway, I had enough of my current company. People are fine, nice in general but the kind of work expectation is too much. It is best that I leave and start afresh. It's an irony that I realised that people who resigned from my company are much happier now.

MsKoh1973

I just need to serve 1 month notice if I resign... There might be possibilities that my company wants me to stay a little bit longer (like 2-3 mths) to hand over or to train the next one. But of course it depends what they say when I submit my resignation.

So that means if I tender right after I return from maternity, I will have to stay for another month.

Well, I did thought about asking for transfer BUT I know the company too well... There isn't such vacancy and they won't do it knowing that I am suitable for my current role. Anyway, I had enough of my current company. People are fine, nice in general but the kind of work expectation is too much. It is best that I leave and start afresh. It's an irony that I realised that people who resigned from my company are much happier now.
I think you shouldn't tell, don't feel bad, but if you tell, they will only "plan against you". So long as now that you receive salary, you work hard, the rest are extra. And frankly speaking, still got half year to go, after u come back fr ML, you may change your mind. So why go alert them now, like you say, they may cut your bonus.

Even if they have been good to you, tat was becos you have been performing well on the job, you have already "paid" for it, don't feel guilty, cos I oso planning to resign after I take my bonus..........kekekekekekek

now whatever rubbish wk they throw to me, they ask if I can handle, any objection, I just smile. Cos I noe if I alert them, so what, they will try to chase me to ensure I finish them by dec, but if I keep my mouth shut, do whatever I can, buy then I resign......the END.

My bosses have been holding back my files, taking their own sweet time to review, if they know I going to tender, they sure faster review and chase me for the rest. Since I already planned to leave the zoo, what for I let the lion come out of the cage and chase after me............

so don't feel bad, silent is golden.........think now u got conflicting thoughts partly becos you giving birth soon and your harmons is affecting you.

corinne22

Thanks for the advice and comfort. At least now I am clearer on how to go about with this issue. I guess I will happily go for my ML and when I return, I will see how is the situation. More or less I have made my mind to quit soon after. Which means I will stay for not more than 3 mths so that it is timely for my bonus. Then I will tell them I really can't cope with my NB and current work thus I need to leave. Probably I will give 1.5 or 2mths notice out of goodwill.

Angelmum

Some nasty employers do not like employee to go ML for 3 mths so b4 they enjoy their ML, they made lives miserable, stress so they could leave.

Since u intend to leave n company has to employ somebody to cover u for 3mths, instead of hiring a temp, they might be even happier to get a full-time replacement for yr position. If yr bonus comes in Dec/Jan, then timing is just right. Too bad yr bonus comes in end July, thus, for $$ sake, better not let them know yr intention.

If company counter-offers u part-time, I think it is a good choice ... workload will be greatly reduced n u still have yr income.

dazzlemissy

Hi, you may want to leave that question to a later date as it is more importantly that you are doing your job well now, enjoy your pregnancy and most of all, take a good care of yourself. Leave that decision to be made after delivery as you may want to continue working after delivery. You may see a different light after delivery or you may then think it is more important to spend quality time with your newborn till toddler. This decision is not the main priority now and yes, your boss will look upon you differently if you have told your boss about your impeding resignation. You are not seen as irresponsible if you have not informed your boss in advance (like now?) about your plan to resign after maternity. Each of us is required to serve a month or more months notice when we have decided to hand in the resignation letter. Relax, smile and enjoy your every day with the baby inside you till your first meeting with your newborn. All the best to you and happiness always.

corinne22

Angelmum: Isn't ML 4 mths? For my job, it is 4 mths and I am taking full 4 mths in one shot. I know for retail or service line, ML is very subjective and yes...employer will make things difficult for pregnant staff.

dazzlemissy: Yes I will take it easy and be happy for now. Sometimes just have to let nature takes its course and let fate decides.:001_302:

I am planning to quit my job too. Right after i came back fm ML, i will serve my 1 mth notice. However, i will make use of the last few weeks of my ML and find new job/go for interview and secure it. Once i get the job, then i will give a proper resignation lettet once i return fm my ML....

Gem2505

hmm.. please dont tell them u r going to resign after ur ML. else, later they pattern all that, ur ML may have problem? althou u're entitled, but its not really nice to tell people that u're going to resign right aft ur ML. they will feel like "cheated". pay u 4months salary n u resign straight away.
have to see ur company policy that once resignation letter received, there're no entitlement of bonus? coz my co bonus pay out is end july & end dec. we cannot resign 1st of july/dec, end our bonus will be gone too. we can only resign the nx day, eg. 1 Aug/Jan, then we will secure the bonus $..
since u will be back to work in June, and will get bonus in July, just tahan awhile, time will pass fast. come 1 Aug, tender. i believe u still have annual leave and Child care leave which is about 10days or more? see if can offset in between so u can look after your baby or go for job interview. =D

good luck!

kajal123

Thanks for the advice and comfort. At least now I am clearer on how to go about with this issue. I guess I will happily go for my ML and when I return, I will see how is the situation. More or less I have made my mind to quit soon after.