When to let baby sleep in a bed

elmo493

When do you allow your toddler to sleep all by themselve. on a mattress or a bed. I am quite worried that they will fall down when they wake up.

stonston

i've nvr allowed my boy to sleep on a proper bed cos he's like me, will move non stop when sleep. we buy a thick mattress for him and put on the floor, so even if he fall off, it's not harmful :)

jasobias

When do you allow your toddler to sleep all by themselve. on a mattress or a bed. I am quite worried that they will fall down when they wake up.
My boys were abt 3 when they slept in their own beds in their room.My younger one was daring at 3 yrs old n chose to sleep on the upper bunk bed.They do toss n turn alot at nite but noone has fallen off the bed yet:tlaugh:

LoVeS

we put our 2yo son on our bed to slp but we will normally put pillow or bolster at both side where he slp in case he fall off the bed~

Lotus

We also move our children into a bed at 2 and put the cot mattress on the floor to cushion any falls. They both like to toss and turn but luckily only the older one has fallen out 1 time in 2 years.

When it happened she cried but was so tired after I lifted her back into bed she fell asleep immediately. Asked her about it next day and she couldn't remember.

Ting

pin has been slping on bed since 2 mths old.
she did fell off the bed a couple of times la, haha.
for us, when she is slping, we will put alot of pillow n bolster arnd her.
n i also put her baby mattress on the floor next to the bed so can cushion her fall. :)
most kids cry when they fall is nt really cos of the pain, but the shock rather. :)

twinmum

I let my babies sleep in bed since day one. Now they are 13months old and thank goodness, they have never fallen off the bed. I put bolsters and pillows around the edges to slow them down just in case they walk to the edge of the bed but they have learnt to get off the bed by themselves since they started walking a few months ago.

Gelyn

I put mine in the cot at least I don't have to worry that he will fall off from the cot.
Now transform the cot to toddler bed and so far he don't have any problem sleeping. Definitely worth the buy.

saikid

My dear son is sleeping in bed since he is 13 months old. I'm using safety bed rail on one side of the bed... so he is sleeping safely...

It's really no harm to put them in their baby cot almost like Day 1.

However, personally, I feel that it may not be safe to put pillows and bolsters around them.. especially if they are much bigger than the little one.

Just put bumper guard all round the baby cot is good enough. Of course, when the little ones are about 3-4 months, that's when they start to turn over or learn to turn over.. get inquisitive, they may start to pull the guard. Nevertheless, it should be safe.

When they are able to turn over.. it's very important to have the front side of the baby cot being pulled up and locked.

If they are so used to seeing it down.. and when you try to put it up.. they may have an issue.

By doing so, they may roll and perhaps knock their head against the baby cot, no worries, it should be fine. Most importantly, they won't fall off the cot.

Having said that, when they are about 9 -10 when they learn to cruise.. learning to make their 1st step, just have to watch over them when they are in the cot.

When they are close to ONE, got to exercise more care.... watch closely,
They can get too inquisitive.. .in the process of exploring, they may try to climb over.

The other safe way... is to put them in a play pen during the day.. say in the Living Hall. They can sleep and play ....inside the play pen. This is a safe option for consideration.

This is great when Mummy is busy with housework and he/she can still see Mummy within close range.

Hope this helps. Cheers.:Dancing_wub:

Last edited: