When to stop swaddling baby?

Ottermum

Hi mummies hope everyone had a great CNY!

My boy's 3 months already n I'm still swaddling him if not he can't sleep at night

Not sure whether he likes it cos I see him struggling sometimes...but he can only sleep when he's being swaddled...if not whole night you'll see him moving non stop! Last time newborn with his mittens he looked like Traffic police...waving his hands non stop..ha ha...

He sleeps in sarong during the day...

Now I'm worrying how to swaddle him when he starts to roll over? :err:

Would appreciate any advice :001_302:

CanCanMum

traffic police???? LOLs.....hahahha

possible to try other methods of putting him to sleep instead of swaddling? Coz its sort of restricts his movements now that he is so big liao.

sing lullaby? pat him to sleep? Or even better will be leave him to sleep on his own? But new methods will cause some hiccups initially.

for me last time i sing lullaby to make my boy sleep.

oblong

Hi mummies hope everyone had a great CNY!

My boy's 3 months already n I'm still swaddling him if not he can't sleep at night

Not sure whether he likes it cos I see him struggling sometimes...but he can only sleep when he's being swaddled...if not whole night you'll see him moving non stop! Last time newborn with his mittens he looked like Traffic police...waving his hands non stop..ha ha...

He sleeps in sarong during the day...

Now I'm worrying how to swaddle him when he starts to roll over? :err:

Would appreciate any advice :001_302:
Hi Ottermum, we used to swaddle DS until he's abt 3 months' plus. We played by ear by observing him.

During that time, he started to kick the swaddle and punch his hands out of the swaddling cloth. He insisted in having his hands unswaddled. He also made a lot of noise when we swaddled him to sleep. But there were also odd moments when he couldn't sleep without being swaddled. During those moments, we try to pat him to sleep. After that, we stopped swaddling him. We converted the swaddling cloths into blankets to cover him for the night.

Wow, I stop swaddling my dd very early,when she was 2 weeks. Tried to swaddle her but she always manage to punch out of her swaddling cloth. In the end, I gave up & let her be free.

autumn82

Yea.. Mine also gave up when he's back from hospital.. LOL. Struggled until face red.. :p

Ottermum, u can try other methods to replace the swaddling coz dun think older still can swaddle rite? Hee. Try putting him on the bed to sleep on his own and cover blankie? I did that and so far so good..

Otherwise, u can pat and sing him to sleep? But doing so means most likely u will have to keep doing tt every day otherwise he might have troubles sleeping... Hee.

Time to get rid of the swaddle..

Last edited:

LoVeS

since 1mths old my ds dun like to b swaddle n it gd to stop swaddling ur bb b4 it bcomes a habit~

Ottermum

Thanks alot! Think it takes time n LOTS OF PATIENCE...think i'll start letting his arms free 1st... see how...

Still don't feel confident about it though...cos every night he wakes up when his arms are 'struggled' free n i have to swaddle him back...he sleeps almost immediately aft i did that!

He also starts to put ANYTHING that is cloth-like into his mouth...swaddle cloths, towels, hankys n even our clothes! During feeding time he's more interested in the feeding towel than the bottle sigh...

Am thinking if i stop swaddling him n just cover him with a blanket will he 'eat' the blanket the whole night???

It's not that he'll just amuse himself n keep quiet throughout... aft a while he'll feel bored n make noise again!

LoVeS

Thanks alot! Think it takes time n LOTS OF PATIENCE...think i'll start letting his arms free 1st... see how...

Still don't feel confident about it though...cos every night he wakes up when his arms are 'struggled' free n i have to swaddle him back...he sleeps almost immediately aft i did that!

He also starts to put ANYTHING that is cloth-like into his mouth...swaddle cloths, towels, hankys n even our clothes! During feeding time he's more interested in the feeding towel than the bottle sigh...

Am thinking if i stop swaddling him n just cover him with a blanket will he 'eat' the blanket the whole night???

It's not that he'll just amuse himself n keep quiet throughout... aft a while he'll feel bored n make noise again!
Oh it normal for infants to haf the habit of putting things into their mouth until they r much older which they will stop doing tat by themselves~

If by swaddling makes him feel secure while slping then why nt get him a green bean or bean sprout pillow for him to hug?

Ottermum

He already has one...n loves eating the corner of the pillow!! ok guess i'll try tonight then... just cover him with a blanket n see how...

wish me luck!!

LoVeS

He already has one...n loves eating the corner of the pillow!! ok guess i'll try tonight then... just cover him with a blanket n see how...

wish me luck!!
at least he eat the corner~ my ds even use it to poke his own eyes :tlaugh:

Ottermum

Ha ha.... so cute! Babies are so witty always finding things to do/eat! Got a feeling i'm gonna have panda eyes tomorrow... definitely won't sleep well tonight! Well every beginning's tough esp handling babies!! It's a challenge isn't it?

autumn82

Yeah, coz he's not used to "free" arms since u've been swaddling him all along, just let him try and continue it. He will get used to it soon & luvin' it! Heh.

It is common for babies to put anything into the mouth but they will outgrow that stage.. My DS is still doing tt fyi.. :tlaugh:

For yr blankie, u have to stuff the left & rite ends into the sides of the matteress so that he won't be able to pull and cover his face..

How old is ur darling?? Try to ignore (unless he is still having nite feeds :tlaugh: dun let him go hungry..) when he's fussing in the middle of the nite to let him know that it is time to sleep & keep quiet. Coz if u're gonna play/pat him whenever he fusses at nite, it's gonna be a habit for him to keep waking up in the nite and u won't have sufficient rest.

Wish u luck!! Heh.

Last edited:

Ottermum

Yeah, coz he's not used to "free" arms since u've been swaddling him all along, just let him try and continue it. He will get used to it soon & luvin' it! Heh.

It is common for babies to put anything into the mouth but they will outgrow that stage.. My DS is still doing tt fyi.. :tlaugh:

For yr blankie, u have to stuff the left & rite ends into the sides of the matteress so that he won't be able to pull and cover his face..

How old is ur darling?? Try to ignore (unless he is still having nite feeds :tlaugh: dun let him go hungry..) when he's fussing in the middle of the nite to let him know that it is time to sleep & keep quiet. Coz if u're gonna play/pat him whenever he fusses at nite, it's gonna be a habit for him to keep waking up in the nite and u won't have sufficient rest.

Wish u luck!! Heh.
thanks for all your tips!!!

sorry to inform everyone that I'M STILL SWADDLING HIM!!! (Pls dun scold me hor...:wong10:)

tried not doing it 1 night he ended up sleeping between me n DH WITH BOTH OF US PRESSING ON HIS HANDS ON EACH SIDE!!! :eek:15:

if not he can't sleep ah....:07: his bedtime's getting earlier (fr last time 11pm to 8pm) very fussy at around 7pm plus... makes so much noise in the sarong!!! so i send him to bed loh... swaddle him n give him pacifier he'll close his eyes...

wakes up at 4am... wanna let him sleep leh but he smacking lips...so feed him loh...

after feed he'll sleep til 7, 8am plus...

now he hasn't roll over yet... i put a pillow on each side just in case 1 night he decides to practice his newest stunt...

think slowly la... those ang mo mummies even swaddle their bbs for 10 months to a year leh...

Last edited:

autumn82

thanks for all your tips!!!

sorry to inform everyone that I'M STILL SWADDLING HIM!!! (Pls dun scold me hor...:wong10:)

tried not doing it 1 night he ended up sleeping between me n DH WITH BOTH OF US PRESSING ON HIS HANDS ON EACH SIDE!!! :eek:15:

if not he can't sleep ah....:07: his bedtime's getting earlier (fr last time 11pm to 8pm) very fussy at around 7pm plus... makes so much noise in the sarong!!! so i send him to bed loh... swaddle him n give him pacifier he'll close his eyes...

wakes up at 4am... wanna let him sleep leh but he smacking lips...so feed him loh...

after feed he'll sleep til 7, 8am plus...

now he hasn't roll over yet... i put a pillow on each side just in case 1 night he decides to practice his newest stunt...

think slowly la... those ang mo mummies even swaddle their bbs for 10 months to a year leh...
Nm la~ Slowly lor.. :) Jus long all getting enuff sleep can liao.. Heh.
Wah.. They can swaddle for tt long?! Peifu~~ :tlaugh:

raeka

My boy free his arm when back home liaos..
although when he sleeping might be afraid or scare but i put the bean bag on his chest.
I put pillow , bolster around him.
slowly slowly as time goes by he use to it then " oK no problem".
**v