When to switch fluoride toothpaste ?

cendrine

Mummies,
When do you switch fluoride toothpaste for toddler ?
And what age do you bring your toddler for dental check up ?

Any recommendations for good dentist for young toddlers in the east/ central ?

Last edited:

mtml888

Why Fluoride-Free?
Although most parents and professionals agree that fluoride is good for the prevention and reduction of tooth decay, fluoride can be toxic when swallowed. Toothpaste with fluoride is not recommended for children under the age of two, (non-spitters - infants and children up to 3)

Most toothpastes with fluoride are not recommended until then at least and sometimes later (it's usually written on the back of the toothpaste tube). I guess it's just harder to control the amount babies are swallowing.

hope this helps! :wink:

Enquiries

Mostly those children toothpaste stated under 6 years old.
So i think it better to change at around 6 years old is better.

Friend

Mostly those children toothpaste stated under 6 years old.
So i think it better to change at around 6 years old is better.
Recently I took my two kids to the Cologate free dental check. Asked questions like what most of the mummies asked in this thread.

Their advice is that if the kids do not have full change of the baby teeth, just continue to use the children toothpaste.

For dental, as early as 4 years old, unless the kids needs dental attention due to some defects or problem with the gums.

My personal experience are that I let my kids use children toothpaste - a pearl size and only once 1 day (they are oredi 7 and 4YOS). Do not expose them 2 young to toothpaste due to flouride...Some may swallow it.

Dun rush into it. Just make sure u help them to brush the teeth with water and if use toothpaste, must rinse well.

My kids used Kodomo and Cologate children toothpaste.

Have a nice wkend...:tlaugh:

leesm105

some dentist advise best to use Fluoride-Free before they change next batch of teeth (around 6 yrs old). heard if kids swallow may cause kidney problem too...

mae

hello all,

Dentist told me, for as long as the kid deosn't swallow, can have a toothpaste with flouride...well, my dd spit everytime she brush her teeth.

stonston

i'm intending to bring my boi to dentist once he turns 1...

as advised by my orthodontist, it is good to let them get used to going to the dentist BEFORE they start having dental probs so they wont associate dentist with pain....

a good dentist will make e trips fun for e kiddos....i've seen my orthodontist with kiddos, he is great fun! he lets them play in his clinic, shows them some fun stuff with e gloves (blow into balloon), teach them how to brush n floss their teeth...
i tink it is good to let them get used to e dentist also....

me n hb will bring him on first visit ard his 1st bday.....then wil bring him back every 6mths for checks :)

bluechin

BMSG Moderator
I usually bring my kids to the dentist when i have my own appts so they can watch. This way they would be also familiar with my dentist.

When ready usually from 2 years onwards, my dentist will invite my children to the chair and do some gentle cleaning and rinsing. And she hasnt charged them yet. :) And apparently they enjoy their visit. :)

For toothpaste, my ds and dd are using either Oral B for kids or First Teeth.

snort

for those concerned about fluoride toothpaste, non-spitters can try organic toothpaste sold at organic shops.

Cheyenne

Hi,... my gal of 4 yrs HATE to brush teeth. Somethimes, she is ok when DH or I bath/clean up for her. But once MIL took over (which she generally prefer and would choose), she just ignore brushing and MIL did not bother to push her .

Even in Nursery, they had a session where by they invite nurse to come in and share brushing, gave stickers etc. It only interest her for a short while.

Any suggestion how I can enforce her to importance of brushing?