When you bring your toddler to and back from childcare centre daily, do they cry?

pinkDior

Mummies who have enrolled your toddlers in childcare centres,

When you bring him/her to school daily, do he/she cry when seeing you leaving?

Also, when you fetch him/her from school after work, will he/she cry when saw you fetching them or will continue to play happily with their friends?

megtan

My son cried for about 3 weeks when started, but after that ok already. Every day go to ccc happily and come back happily.

cel.lea

it was a yr ago. my 2yr old boy started school ok. never cry, very good & adventurous. he was ok in sch for a yr probably. no changes in sch teacher or environment, nothing new or odd.

one fine day, he refuses to get dressed, step out & refuses sch totally! few matters came to my mind. teachers were mean? he was being discipline? best friend decided he's no more a friend? he was bullied by anyone?

it was so bad the teachers & i had to drag him into sch! i asked & enquire & seek the sch's help to investigate the cause. i have to trust my son & a bit in the sch. i have to think. the sch claim nothing's wrong. i gave example on things he dislike, especially i know certain interactive social thingy he hate very much. i notice he dislike ppl teasing him. eg " u r such big boy liao. u cannot play with this toy" or "u r too big to ride in this motorised bike, let your little bro have it" i had witnessed my son walked out of the toy shop & refused to go in. he stand outside the entrance & look! i reflected this to the teachers. his horrible crying lasted 1 mth!!! i was on the verge to transfer him to a diff sch. i have to trust my son & i know his character so i beleive something is not so right. he's not the crybaby sort. tough boy very cheeky. something was wrong & he's too young to explain.

the teachers work with us & suggested allowing him to go sch wearing home clothes.
what makes me give the sch more time is bcos the teacher had not only suggested ways to make my boy more at ease but did several thing. it include a sketch book of what he's been doing in sch, the teacher gave me the task to complete the rest on what he did at home to come to sch! i was impressed. gradually the book became a picture book to show him & he went to sch after a mth with no fuss.

the teacher is still with the centre but my son had moved on to a older age group class. very proud to name her, Ms Thomasina. she was ]known as Ms Thoma by the children. a very young chinese lady. good job she done

hope you can find out what's wrong soon & decide what's best for your child

Last edited:
Yea.. Sometimes kids behave in a way with reasons we can never imagined..
My boy was alright throughout 16mths in infantcare, except the first mth when he was settling in. After he switched to toddler class in the same centre, it took him two weeks to settle him. Overall ok, happy when i pick him from sch in the evening. When ask if he is happy in sch he wld ans yes. Occasionally with tell me lil things in sch like a particular classmate misbehaved etc. Once in awhile mild separation anxiety.
Till this new teacher came 3mths ago. He start whining whenever he reach sch. Worst, after he got over it, he wld b fine upon reaching sch happy n all, but once he c that teacher he wld behave like he's frighten. I thought it was cos the teacher is new n decide to give her some time n brush all negative thoughts off. Till 2weeks ago my boy blurt out he's afraid of the teacher. Decide to have a talk with her though i know things r prolly well, cos when i spoke to other teachers abt this they feedback he is fine with her. After the talk we conclude that my boy is just being manipulative. Cos whenever he showed signs of being frighten of that teacher i wld worry n stay longer to try to calm him down..
Now im working on 'hardening' my heart. Leave calmly even if he cries.. Thats the only method thats gonna work for my boy cos he is gd at 'making use' of his certain acts to get his way...

annabel

hahhahaha all kids are the same, my son was strange, he didnt cry but once i fetch him, he doesnt want his teacher to talk or touch him anymore.
i told him, mommy have to work, if not work, how to buy your milk? this ismy magic word until now hahahaha.. somehow he understand that money is important and mommy need to work to earn it.

Yea.. Try explaining. Though they may seems a lil too young to understand but they do know more or less in their way.. Of cos, gotta use simple words..
My boy, the other day just ask me, 'mummy y u go to work', so i explain mummy need to work to earn money, earn money to buy his milk, pampam (pampers), sweets n toys n take him go gaigai n blablabla. He listens very attentively, so i continue, if mummy dont work, no money, cant buy him his blablablabla. After im done, he pause a few secs, n ask, 'mummy y r u home?'............
Totally speechless n amazed by kids thinkings..
I always believe in talking n explaining n i did that since he was a newborn. He starts speaking earlier than his peers n is able to talk in long sentEnces n able to think n ans cause n effects questions.. Kids r absorbing though they dont show. Keep talking! It helps their mind turn n turn n turn~ =P

cn211279

I send my son to childcare when he is 18mths. Before that I was taking care of him myself and hence he is very attached to me. He cried every morning when I send him to school for 6mths!!!
For my son it is just pure separation anxiety and also at home he gets individual attention (from me) but in school the teachers have to take care of several children at the same time so he feels neglected. My son is an attention seeker type.
Because he cried for so long, I did stay behind after sending him to school to observe his behaviour for a while and realise that although he cries when he see me leave, he is ok after crying for at most 15 mins before he is distracted by what his friends are doing/playing and starts to get involved.
So I guess some toddlers just needs more time to adjust??