Where to store EBM? Milk bag or container?

esthergal

Hello mummies,

Going back to work soon, so needa express BM and store it somewhere... Can you pls share where do you store it? in milk bags or EBM container? which one is more convenient and worth the penny? There is this type of container that can let us express milk directly into...

Thanks!!

camom

I use milk bags. I find that they take up less space in the freezer compared to containers. I store excess in milkbags and what bb drinks in bottles to bring home.

chowlm

Milk bags are good for quick n go storage, take up less space in the fridge but most mummies use EBM container. You have to consider how convenient you can express milk n store them when return to work. Do you want the male staff see the office fridge filled with milk containers? That was what happen when there were 2 mummies in my office, they filled up two section of the fridge with milk containers then people complained no place to put food. I use Avent VIA storage system, can express milk directly into the cup & cover it with a lid then store in fridge. Put on the Avent feeding head & can feed directly from the cup. The cup can be recycle 1-2 time & can steralise. I've a box of Avent VIA storage system, open not used. Bought it for milk storage when returning to work. Too bad got retrenched, now don't need to use. If you want to try, I can sell you at a low price. Email me chowlm74@yahoo.com if interested.

Milk bags are a lot more convenient - just use and throw. No washing and sterilising needed. Less bulky too - just leave in office and bring back what you pump. There are some that are quite affordable (I get from this lady who delivers if you buy a dozen. Used to throw in a free box too. Not sure about now) - don't get from the shops. Also, very space saving. In office, I lay them flat in a lunch box so colleagues won't have to see the milk - esp guys and I'm sure they'll appreciate you for that. At home, I freeze them flat so can pack (a lot of) them standing in a big storage box in the freezer. I used to use containers and ran out of space very quickly...

diymummy

I tried using both. Milk bags as well as bottles.

I prefered to use milk bags because of the convenience.

When I used bottles, I used my Avent bottles and a cap. I didn't use the Avent VIA cup system. You might want to read up more abt the VIA cup system before using them as they're not BPA free.

esthergal

Oh great, I think I'll go for milk bags then, thanks for your feedbacks dear mummies ;)

How many times normally do you all pump in office? Do we need to re-sterilize the pump bottles every time we express milk in office or can reuse without sterilizing?

Also, about the frozen milk, can we bring it down to the fridge to thaw it so that can save time when baby cries for milk? How long can frozen milk sit in the fridge?

Thanks again mummies for your kind advice :)

diymummy

I pump 4 times in office. Boss understands so it's ok. Sometimes got meeting then bo bian... Pump 2 or 3 times but breast quite painful.

I put my pump in a big tupper ware. Air tight. After pump, I wash then put in tupperware, pour in boiling water, let it sit for few minutes then pour away the hot water and seal up the tupperware. At next use, I just take out and use.

I usually put my milk in the fridge, not freezer coz I utilise within 24 hrs

Milk in fridge can keep up to 48 hrs

Frozen milk up to 3 mths.

Frozen milk can be thawed in the fridge.

esthergal

How to transport milk bags back home? Have to buy an ice pack?

Do you use milk bags with seal or is there a good way to seal milk bags without its own seal so that the milk won't leak out?

dujuanrosa, can share where you get the milk bag from? any website or pictures?

Thanks all!!

diymummy

Hi esthergal,

I have an Avent cooler bag and I also bought a Tommee Tipee Ice Pack to put inside the cooler bag with my milk. That's how I transport it home.

I used Pigeon milk bags. Kiddy Palace selling for $17.90. I saw on ebay before for $15. Pigeon milk bags is zip lock designed so the milk won't spill after sealing. Easy opening too.

I have 1 box (20 milk bags) leftover from my breastfeeding days. If you're interested to buy it, PM me.

puppydog

My vote goes to milk bags. Its convenient, hygienic and makes bfing a breeze! I dont't have to fight with my in-laws over the space in the fridge as containers will takes up alot of space in the fridge. I am currently using NANNY Breastmilk Storage Bags, affordable and excellent in quality. Nursing mums you may want to check this website: Food For Totz - Hassle Free Breastfeeding For Mums

momosa

My vote goes to milk bags. Its convenient, hygienic and makes bfing a breeze! I dont't have to fight with my in-laws over the space in the fridge as containers will takes up alot of space in the fridge. I am currently using NANNY Breastmilk Storage Bags, affordable and excellent in quality. Nursing mums you may want to check this website: Food For Totz - Hassle Free Breastfeeding For Mums
Is there any smell when you use Nanny Breast Milk Storage bags? Currently I'm using The First Years Milk bags and there's a plastic smell.

diymummy

I used The First Years milk bags once. I bought a box to try and I didn't really like it because it's hard to pour into and hard to pour out. Not to mention that the plastic seems too thin. But I didn't notice any plastic smell though.

I was using Pigeon milk bags.

tithima

Hi,

selling good quality of milk bag, product of Thailand.

This is product of Thailand, brand is Tantawan. It made from Low Density Polyethylene plastic, which is for containing food.

- One pack has 20 BPA Free bags (Pre-sterilized, so can be used immediately)
- Can contain up to 6 Oz (180ml) milk.
- Can be put in freezer or the normal fridge compartment.
- There's double-zipped lock to prevent leakage.
- There's label for you to write down the date and time.

Selling at $ 6 each (20 bags/pack). Pick up at Tiong baru market or other pre-arrange location.

If you buy 10 packs, will give you extra discount, you'll only have to pay $ 55.

email tithima@hotmail.com

you may have a look at the photo at :
http://picasaweb.google.com/111325912367460619313

puppydog

Is there any smell when you use Nanny Breast Milk Storage bags? Currently I'm using The First Years Milk bags and there's a plastic smell.
Hi Momosa :)

There is no smell in Nanny Breastmilk Storage Bags. Its pre-sterlised! Very Good, no regrets at all! You can rest assured of its quality, double-zipper to prevent spillage and leakage and most of all, its price!! I am very happy with it and would recommend to nursing mums! My friend, used to use The First Years Milk Bags and experienced the same problem as DIYMUMMY. The milk bag is very thiin and it's hard to pour into and hard to pour out, resulting in lots of spillage of milk. Now she switched to Nanny milk bags too.

I tried Playtex before but found it to be extremely troublesome, got to use rubber bands or clips to seal the milkbags. Though the price is very cheap but not worth it !! The effort I have to go through, after pumping, got to be very careful to tie the bags. Scared the expressed breastmilk will be contaminated by hands or rubber bands while tieing. Also, I experienced the rubber-bands snapped when stored in freezer. Waste my precious milk! As it is, we spent so much time and efforts to breastfeed our precious one, why not invest in good milkbags that will make breastfeeding a breeze :)

Last edited:

xue

I pump 4 times in office. Boss understands so it's ok. Sometimes got meeting then bo bian... Pump 2 or 3 times but breast quite painful.

I put my pump in a big tupper ware. Air tight. After pump, I wash then put in tupperware, pour in boiling water, let it sit for few minutes then pour away the hot water and seal up the tupperware. At next use, I just take out and use.

I usually put my milk in the fridge, not freezer coz I utilise within 24 hours

Milk in fridge can keep up to 48 hours

Frozen milk up to 3 mths.

Frozen milk can be thawed in the fridge.
hi diymummy,

as im going back work this fri, was wondering what kind of tupperware u use to sterilize your breastpump? can normal tupperware stand the boiling water? Cause i still cant figure out how to sterilize my breastpump at work..

diymummy

Hi xue,

I bought those tupperware that are microwave safe and dishwasher safe. Those kind of tupperware can withstand high heats so I assume it is safe and therefore used it.

xue

Hi xue,

I bought those tupperware that are microwave safe and dishwasher safe. Those kind of tupperware can withstand high heats so I assume it is safe and therefore used it.
Where to buy it from? Supermarkets got sell? Oh dear, i left tmr to shop for these stuff.. Would sterilising tablet be easier?

diymummy

Where to buy it from? Supermarkets got sell? Oh dear, i left tomorrow to shop for these stuff.. Would sterilising tablet be easier?
Yeah I bought it from Giant actually. I find sterilising tablets troublesome. I've never used them myself.

How old is your baby now? If your baby is already 3 mths, hot water should do just fine.

xue

Yeah I bought it from Giant actually. I find sterilising tablets troublesome. I've never used them myself.

How old is your baby now? If your baby is already 3 mths, hot water should do just fine.
she is 4mths+.. hmmm, probably i will go get the container...
By the way, do i need to bring those baby dishwasher to wash after i pump or i can just rinse water then sterilize with hot water?

diymummy

Yes I bought the small baby dishwashing liquid. Coz my company's one.. Is those industrial strength one. :x