which 1 is better for breast pumps? avent or medela?

missymic

I am looking for breastpumps.Heard about this two brands but need more opinion as im a first time mummy.Will be looking out for electric breastpumps.As i'm in my fifth mth is it too early to purchase 1, as im afraid when i give birth i cant breastfeed the baby.thanks..:Dancing_wub:

chiro

i m a medela mini electric n mini electric plus user myself so can only gif u one sided opinion..both pumps r very noisy..

Medelas parts r easy to assemble..disassemle n clean... Believe avent also haf same function..

If i am pregnant wif second one i will get medela freestyle...cos its quite quiet.. Handsfree n u can lie down on bed to express milk... I think...

It all depends on ur budget actually

I am looking for breastpumps.Heard about this two brands but need more opinion as im a first time mummy.Will be looking out for electric breastpumps.As i'm in my fifth month is it too early to purchase 1, as im afraid when i give birth i cant breastfeed the baby.thanks..:Dancing_wub:

allycat

I've used Avent manual pump and Medala mini electric. Both are equally good although I was able to get more milk using e manual one. Currently using UniMOM forte and am quite happy with e output too. Personally, I think its better to get e pump after U've delivered as u'll be able to try e pumps (at BMSG) then. Buy e one tt u're more comfortable with.

Don't put too much stress on yourself now... I'm sure u'll do well with all e determination :)

HazelDewi

I am looking for breastpumps.Heard about this two brands but need more opinion as im a first time mummy.Will be looking out for electric breastpumps.As i'm in my fifth month is it too early to purchase 1, as im afraid when i give birth i cant breastfeed the baby.thanks..:Dancing_wub:
I guess Avent is better....u can try...

Phoebii Cheng

I used medela swing, a friend lent it to me bf I gave birth....so far it is quite good, the suction pump is soft type so not painful

camom

Don't be afraid you can't, must psych yourself that you can. In the meantime, read up more on bf and do keep that list of LC/bf helplines handy so you can easily refer to it when you need it.

I bought my electric pump in my 4th mth of 2nd preggy though I didn't manage to bf 1st kiddo successfully. I was so determined to do it the 2nd time round. BB is now 18 mths old and we are still bf :). You can do it!!!

I didn't get either pump you mentioned above. I bought an Ameda Lactaline after much research and deliberation. It suits my needs, my budget and is still working fine today. Personally, I would go for one that is quieter cos I use it in the office and I pump at my desk. Bcos I pump at my desk, I need 1 that is also handy and light enuf to use with a handsfree kit. Ideally, the pump should also be easy to assemble & dismantle, and easy to clean and store. Additional spare parts and accessories should also be easy to find and purchase.

Just curious - Wld the Medela mini electric be heavy since the motor is attached to it?

allycat

Don't be afraid you can't, must psych yourself that you can. In the meantime, read up more on bf and do keep that list of LC/bf helplines handy so you can easily refer to it when you need it.

I bought my electric pump in my 4th mth of 2nd preggy though I didn't manage to bf 1st kiddo successfully. I was so determined to do it the 2nd time round. BB is now 18 mths old and we are still bf :). You can do it!!!

I didn't get either pump you mentioned above. I bought an Ameda Lactaline after much research and deliberation. It suits my needs, my budget and is still working fine today. Personally, I would go for one that is quieter cos I use it in the office and I pump at my desk. Bcos I pump at my desk, I need 1 that is also handy and light enuf to use with a handsfree kit. Ideally, the pump should also be easy to assemble & dismantle, and easy to clean and store. Additional spare parts and accessories should also be easy to find and purchase.

Just curious - Wld the Medela mini electric be heavy since the motor is attached to it?
Medela mini elec is very light but very noise. By the way, how do u express at your desk? I supposed your work station is not those open concept type..

shidajat

i've used medela pump in style advanced for 14 months...and i think it's great! i know it's not handsfree, but it works out for me, i sit in front of the computer while i pump, and i watch my tv shows haha :D
i've not tried avent, because a bunch of my cousins and other friends all recommended medela.

camom

Hi Allycat mommy,

Mine is a partitioned cubicle. Don't know if you consider this open concept. I pump with a nursing poncho that completely covers me from neck to waist and with some soft music. These measures + me heaping on shawls and cardis on top of my pump help to reduce the noise generated. My colleagues sitting ard me don't mind so long as the motor is not too loud and distracting. Also, must be thick skinned... I sit pretty close to the entryway so many people walk past. This is why 1 of my main consideration is a pump that is not too noisy.

allycat

Hi Allycat mommy,

Mine is a partitioned cubicle. Don't know if you consider this open concept. I pump with a nursing poncho that completely covers me from neck to waist and with some soft music. These measures + me heaping on shawls and cardis on top of my pump help to reduce the noise generated. My colleagues sitting ard me don't mind so long as the motor is not too loud and distracting. Also, must be thick skinned... I sit pretty close to the entryway so many people walk past. This is why 1 of my main consideration is a pump that is not too noisy.
Sounds like my cubicle. Are u still expressing in office now tt your baby is 18 mths?

Last edited:

camom

Wow, his demand is still so high at 18 month?
Yes, I am trying to cut out the pump in the office, then slowly cut out the ones at home so I only latch him on in the mornings n nights and he'll be n fresh milk during the day.

meiteoh

I'm using an Avent ISIS IQ Uno but the manual function works better for me. I find that it's okay and quiet. Medela is hospital grade and one that I would have liked to get but waaaayyyy out of our budget (even in Switzerland, where it's from, it's quite ex). Am thinking of expressing just like camom if the office doesn't have a room and etc. :)

allycat

these days there are other brands like Spectra and UniMom with hospital grade pumps but are much cheaper.

moonity

Just an advice, whichever pump you are buying, just remember to bring along to the hospital when you give birth, you might need it to stimulate your breast for supply.

I am using Medela Freestyle.. It is said to be the most quiet pump around though expensive, you can consider a 2nd hand pump. Easy to assemble too.

cmeilim

i hv a medela swing as a back-up in office, but my fav is still my ameda lactaline pump. the dual expression mode of the medela swing doesn't work for me....not sure why....maybe mummies who use medela swing can comment on this.

mummyofsix

Both medela and avent are good. used both. if you are thinking of using breast pump for a long period, invest in the double pump. this is easier and faster if you are going back to work and have to pump in the office.

I did that when i had to get back to work.:001_302:

I breastfed my babies for 2 years....
It is more worth it if you wait for SALE as you can save alot. Go to ebay and you can even find new breastpumps that cost a fraction of the price.:001_302:

allycat

You can get Medela pumps cheaper at KKH. I only remembered the price for the mini electric, its selling at around $140 as compared to the retail price of $193.