Which brand of milk bottle detergent is good?

P4nic

I m Preparing for my baby's arrival soon.. So many things undone ESP the laundry. I was hoping to start with sterilizing the bottles, pacifiers n pumps first.. M wondering is it necessary to use a bottle detergent since we are gg to sterilize the bottles? And if need to, which brand is good? Can get them from NTUC?

lekdao

I m Preparing for my baby's arrival soon.. So many things undone ESP the laundry. I was hoping to start with sterilizing the bottles, pacifiers n pumps first.. M wondering is it necessary to use a bottle detergent since we are gg to sterilize the bottles? And if need to, which brand is good? Can get them from NTUC?

Yes, i prefer to use detergent (get rid of the oily/slippery feeling) even thou going to sterilize the bottles. The more commonly use are either Pigeon or TollyJoy, both can get from NTUC. I always go to chinatown to get (get a few packs and others toiletries) coz is cheaper.

BTW why u need to start to sterilize so early? I suggest you to wash and sterilize on the day u discharge from hospital if not you will need to wash and sterilize again before you use it. Mayb u wanna sterilize your sterilizer first for standby.

keefu

I think washing of diapers and baby clothes, mattress cover is more important IMO... bottle washing/sterilizing can wait when fetching baby back.

apollo

we've been using kodomo, we tried Pigeon too but still prefer kodomo.

dont sterilise now cos even u sterilise nw, u still have to do it AGAIN when baby comes hm. cos the bottles has to be used within 6hrs aft u sterilised, aft 6hrs, u still have to sterilise all over again even baby didnt use the bottles.

Mummy to Baby V

We started with using Pigeon. It's rather liquid and diluted, so a bit tough to get rid of the oily residue from breastmilk. Using it with warm water to wash does a better job.

Now, we're using Bumble Bee, a Malaysian brand. I use it to wash my boy's cups, dishes and cutlery. Not sure if can get it in Singapore.

It's fine to learn to operate the sterilizer, pumps and wash / sterilize them once. Then dry them and re-do again when baby is home. More time to learn now than when busy with baby later on.

Also, if you're planning to breastfeed, be careful of introducing pacifier and bottle teat too early. Cos some babies get nipple confusion easily and refuse to latch on, which is essential to build a good milk supply. My home-visit nurse suggested waiting till after 6 weeks growth spurt, which I listened and managed to get sufficient supply. The instruction manual for breast pump usually says wait till at least 4 weeks.

The exceptions are pumping to stimulate more supply after feeding baby directly and pumping out excess milk to store.

All the best! :)

P4nic

Part of the reason to sterilize earlier is also to test out the sterilizer. I will sterilizer the things again when the baby is home. Btw we need bring pumps to the hospital but I can't sterilize it in hospital rite?

camom

Part of the reason to sterilize earlier is also to test out the sterilizer. I will sterilizer the things again when the baby is home. Btw we need bring pumps to the hospital but I can't sterilize it in hospital rite?
I didn't use a pump in the hospital. I just latched bb on. In GlenE, there's a steriliser in the baby's nursery. They very nicely sterilised my just bought brand new pump when bb was hospitalised due to jaundice and I had to pump out milk for feeds in the night.

apollo

i brought along breast pump when i delivered. they let me use sterilising tablet to sterilise the pump and parts =)

P4nic

oh thats great! i m oso going to deliver at glenE :)
i think i will sterilise 1 time at home then bring over to hospital to sterilise again if my baby cant latch on.

corinne22

I heard from my relative that Piegon's vegetable & bottles detergent is very strong...will "bite" your skin.

Am contemplating between Piegon and Tollyjoy because I want to get one where I can use on both vegetables and bottles.

Any recommendation or feedbacks?

apollo

oh thats great! i m also going to deliver at glenE :)
i think i will sterilise 1 time at home then bring over to hospital to sterilise again if my baby cant latch on.
dun wry.. get the LC and nurses (if they are exp in bf-ing) to help u. as long as ur nipple is not inverted, u will be able to latch on v soon. =)

I heard from my relative that Piegon's vegetable & bottles detergent is very strong...will "bite" your skin.

Am contemplating between Piegon and Tollyjoy because I want to get one where I can use on both vegetables and bottles.

i haven try tollyjoy one b4. but so far i still prefer kodomo one. dun really lik pigeon. :001_302:

pkshl

im using Tollyjoy. is cheaper den piegon & more too.

still alrite for me, but i always wash my hands with handsoap after washing the bottles with Tollyjoy cos my hands felt abit dry.

joanneang

Actually i am using Pureen, n so far i find it quite okie..

bb2010

dont wry.. get the LC and nurses (if they are exp in bf-ing) to help you. as long as your nipple is not inverted, you will be able to latch on very soon. =)

i have not try tollyjoy one before. but so far i still prefer kodomo one. dont really lik pigeon. :001_302:
Hi

So yr breast pump oso using the komodo detergent to wash it or only wash the nipple, milk bottle? wht brand of breast pump u are using? as i am using medela pump but i checked with medela and they told me the pump cannot sterilise over 5mins..and suggest me to boil the water bcos my sterilizer is avent digital and stelizer is 6mins....

apollo

Hi

So yr breast pump also using the komodo detergent to wash it or only wash the nipple, milk bottle? wht brand of breast pump you are using? as i am using medela pump but i checked with medela and they told me the pump cannot sterilise over 5mins..and suggest me to boil the water bcos my sterilizer is avent digital and stelizer is 6mins....
yup. i use the kodomo for breast pump, bottles, toys, baby bowls & utensils. I also used medela, and yup the staff also told me not to sterilise more than 5min so usually i just just rinse with hot water. =)