Will a child wean off Breast milk on their own???

vonn81

Help!!! Mummies out there...i need some advise....

My dd refused milk since ytd night....i dunno why?? She will just come near my breast ...thinking for awhile and turn away...she is coming to 14 mths now. She has no problem latching and has been doing well since birth.. Now she is drinking 3 times a day...morning , mid afternoon and before bed time. But since ytd till now she has rejected the night feed ytd and the mid afternoon feed and the night feed today...what is going on??? When i say " milk milk" she understands and will rush towards me, but when i undress my bra she sees it and turn away.... Do a child know the time to wean off milk??

How..should i pump out the milk?? Have not been pumping since 6 mths ago. tried pumping 3 mths ago for 2 days....and its miserably little...if i din pump...then she keep on rejecting for another few days how?? my milk flow is already low...just enough for her no more excess...i'm so worried...

snowbear

Yes, children will self-wean. I intend to feed my dear daughter till she self-weans. However, in bianca's case, it sounds like a nursing strike coz usually weaning will be more gradual. Here's some info from kellymom.com:

Child-led weaning occurs when a child no longer has a need to nurse - nutritionally or emotionally. It's relatively unusual for a baby younger than 18-24 months to self-wean if they are not being encouraged in that direction (though things like mom's pregnancy may also affect the timing).
A child who is self-weaning will almost always cut down on nursing very gradually over a period of months, one session at a time (anything abrupt is most always a strike). Many children will continue with only a nighttime, morning or naptime nursing session (or a combination) for months before weaning. When a child self-weans, she will also have been drinking well from a cup and getting the vast majority of her nutrition from solid foods for a while.

I know it's hard to pump out milk after latching all along. i also can't get much out nowadays coz breasts are not used to the pump. I think u shld continue to pump even if there's no/little milk coming out. At least there's still stimulation...

vonn81

Yes, children will self-wean. I intend to feed my dear daughter till she self-weans. However, in bianca's case, it sounds like a nursing strike coz usually weaning will be more gradual. Here's some info from kellymom.com:

Child-led weaning occurs when a child no longer has a need to nurse - nutritionally or emotionally. It's relatively unusual for a baby younger than 18-24 months to self-wean if they are not being encouraged in that direction (though things like mom's pregnancy may also affect the timing).
A child who is self-weaning will almost always cut down on nursing very gradually over a period of months, one session at a time (anything abrupt is most always a strike). Many children will continue with only a nighttime, morning or naptime nursing session (or a combination) for months before weaning. When a child self-weans, she will also have been drinking well from a cup and getting the vast majority of her nutrition from solid foods for a while.

I know it's hard to pump out milk after latching all along. i also can't get much out nowadays coz breasts are not used to the pump. I think you shld continue to pump even if there's no/little milk coming out. At least there's still stimulation...

Huh strike arh....why huh...she is ok all along leh...only time she strike is when she is ready for semi solid food wor...aiyo headache leh...

snowbear

ya i read already....likely s you said...nursing strike ...

1 week ...then what did you give Alicia instead?? have not start semi solid food right?? did you pump out??
actually i didnt pump out coz she doesn't drink from bottle since she learnt to latch. She just refuses to drink from bottle so i didn't bother to pump. Just keep trying to offer my breasts throughout the day, esp when she's sleepy. She's usually more willing to drink when she's sleepy.

vonn81

actually i didnt pump out coz she doesn't drink from bottle since she learnt to latch. She just refuses to drink from bottle so i didn't bother to pump. Just keep trying to offer my breasts throughout the day, esp when she's sleepy. She's usually more willing to drink when she's sleepy.

ic..then ur milk flow still can maintain arh....i just tired when she is sleepy still not workable... only the morning when she woke up still willing to drink. hope tmr morning...opps in fact is today. she will drink too. i tried pumping...aiyo 40 ml only...both side leh...so end up i use hand to squeeze out lo...more than i pump arh...but hand and breast so tired and painful...sigh...

snowbear

ic..then your milk flow still can maintain ....i just tired when she is sleepy still not workable... only the morning when she woke up still willing to drink. hope tomorrow morning...opps in fact is today. she will drink too. i tried pumping...aiyo 40 ml only...both side ...so end up i use hand to squeeze out ...more than i pump ...but hand and breast so tired and painful...sigh...
last time alicia was young so was easier to manage when it comes to strikes. Sometimes i'd carry her, walk around, sing songs to her while placing her near my breast then after awhile there's a chance that she'd drink. That's how i maintained my supply... try different methods of making her drink. Anyway i totally understand how hard it is to pump. Unless my breasts are full, when i pump there's nothing until there's a letdown. Now i hate pumping.

stonston

my son self weaned at 12mths. jus suddenly one day dun wan my breasts, wan bottle.
i continue to pump for a wk or 2 but became quite tired cos if he dun latch, i got alot more to pump!

but by then i had 6mths supply frozen in my chest freezer, so i stopped pumping and give him the stock we had :)

vonn81

last time alicia was young so was easier to manage when it comes to strikes. Sometimes i'd carry her, walk around, sing songs to her while placing her near my breast then after awhile there's a chance that she'd drink. That's how i maintained my supply... try different methods of making her drink. Anyway i totally understand how hard it is to pump. Unless my breasts are full, when i pump there's nothing until there's a letdown. Now i hate pumping.

me too i hate pumping too...i will not bring a pump out also mah...so ma fan...already so many things to bring liao...hai....

vonn81

my son self weaned at 12mths. just suddenly one day dont want my breasts, want bottle.
i continue to pump for a wk or 2 but became quite tired cos if he dont latch, i got alot more to pump!

but by then i had 6mths supply frozen in my chest freezer, so i stopped pumping and give him the stock we had :)
really?? my dd is also like that..suddenly dont want my breast. been 2 days already..she still show no interest... i tried giving her formula she refused too....i haven try pumping and giving her the milk. I do not hav any more stocks for her long time ago....even if i pump and give her the milk thats for sure not enough ...cos i really cannot express much....I NEED HER SPECIAL PUMP....i'm so sad now....i tot i can BF her until she is 18 or 24 mths....what should i do now??

snowbear

really?? my dear daughter is also like that..suddenly dont want my breast. been 2 days already..she still show no interest... i tried giving her formula she refused too....i have not try pumping and giving her the milk. I do not hav any more stocks for her long time ago....even if i pump and give her the milk thats for sure not enough ...cos i really cannot express much....I NEED HER SPECIAL PUMP....i'm so sad now....i thought i can BF her until she is 18 or 24 mths....what should i do now??
i know how hard it is to pump milk out but i think in your case now the only thing u can do is to pump, even if there's very little milk. At least there's still some stimulation to continue to produce milk... nipples shld be able to adjust to pumping after awhile (that's what the LC told me last time).

vonn81

i know how hard it is to pump milk out but i think in your case now the only thing you can do is to pump, even if there's very little milk. At least there's still some stimulation to continue to produce milk... nipples shld be able to adjust to pumping after awhile (that's what the LC told me last time).

Up to date...Bianca still doesnt want milk. I've tried pumping( though is miserably little) i give it to her on bottle. Once she taste milk...she pushed away the bottle. So as Stonton said...i was wandering whether she decided to self wean herself from milk....how..she doesnt take FM...doesnt take express BM, doesnt latch on anymore....nan dao only give her cheese or yogult to give her calcium?? i'm so upset leh...i'm still enjoying my bfding journey then she just reject out of a sudden....:wecry:

annie

she already pass 1 yr old can try cow milk?

these few days my girl has been biting my nipple so hard that i sometimes thought i should wean her! .... she got 4 teeth now.. painful.. she even bite my arms n fingers once she get the chance n leave red teeth marks!

vonn81

she already pass 1 your old can try cow milk?

these few days my girl has been biting my nipple so hard that i sometimes thought i should wean her! .... she got 4 teeth now.. painful.. she even bite my arms and fingers once she get the chance and leave red teeth marks!

Ya...so now have to know wat alternatives i can have....sigh...

My gal bite too...but i'll always tell her not to when she bite. she understands. she cry when i say i'm in pain. then she will not bite and continue to drink. So u have to let her know its wrong everytime she bite ur nipple or any part of u.

stonston

YES! everytime ur child bite u, be it ur nipples or any other part of ur body, please correct the incorrect behaviour immediately!!!

my boy got bitten at school by a classmates. and when i tell the parents, they jus smile at me! wot type of parents are these! the boy bite until my boy got scar and the wound was badly infected until got pus! and they tell the principal tt there's' nothing they can do!

vonn81

YES! everytime your child bite you, be it your nipples or any other part of your body, please correct the incorrect behaviour immediately!!!

my boy got bitten at school by a classmates. and when i tell the parents, they just smile at me! what type of parents are these! the boy bite until my boy got scar and the wound was badly infected until got pus! and they tell the principal that there's' nothing they can do!
Wah...what if their own child got bitten?? will they smile and say its ok??or say i understand u can do nothing??? at least they must tried to correct their child mah....

Stonston u know wat other alternative i can do if my gal continue to reject milk??

snowbear

she already pass 1 your old can try cow milk?

these few days my girl has been biting my nipple so hard that i sometimes thought i should wean her! .... she got 4 teeth now.. painful.. she even bite my arms and fingers once she get the chance and leave red teeth marks!
yup. must correct the wrong behaviour. When alicia bit my nipple i told her sternly not to do that.

snowbear

Ya...so now have to know what alternatives i can have....sigh...

My gal bite too...but i'll always tell her not to when she bite. she understands. she cry when i say i'm in pain. then she will not bite and continue to drink. So you have to let her know its wrong everytime she bite your nipple or any part of you.
that time when my friend's niece refused bm, the PD suggested giving cow's milk...

snowbear

YES! everytime your child bite you, be it your nipples or any other part of your body, please correct the incorrect behaviour immediately!!!

my boy got bitten at school by a classmates. and when i tell the parents, they just smile at me! what type of parents are these! the boy bite until my boy got scar and the wound was badly infected until got pus! and they tell the principal that there's' nothing they can do!
that's TERRIBLE!!!! how can they condone such behaviour???!!!