Would you discipline other people's children?

cmeilim

For example, you observe your kid being bullied or hit or pushed over or has his/her toy/things snatched by another kid when they are playing together. Would you:

1) wait and see how your child will react, in the belief that such interpersonal interaction is something that kids need to learn to settle and handle between themselves, as part of growing up?

2) gently pull your kid out of the situation and go talk to the other kid's parents to discipline his/her child?

3) go up to discipline/reprimand the other kid first, then go talk to the other kid's parents if the parents are not in the know of their child's mischief yet?

4) take your kid away and leave without talking to the other kid's parents?

5) any other actions not listed above?

Hope mummies hear can share their views, experiences and reasons. TIA! =)

diymummy

It depends on how my son is being bullied. If he is being hit or bitten or the other party is raelly rough, I will do step 3.

If it's just the snatching of toys or just some pushing, I will do step 1 and if they can't handle it after a while, I will do step 2.

I believe the children have to learn how to stand up for themselves and also learn to process what is right and wrong behaviour and then decide what they should be doing or not doing.

Some things, if it's not life threatening or dangerous, I will let my son explore it on his own.

autumn82

Usually when Iggy is being bullied or hit, he will come over and complain to us, so if the parent is around, they will discipline the kid by themselves. If he doesn't come over to complain, I will gently tell the kid not to do that 1st coz it's wrong. And if that kid repeats, I will say aloud for the parent to listen then they will do the discipline by themselves.

As for toys being snatched, I won't usually interfere unless he can't handle it then I'll just pull him out and get him to play other stuffs.

Agree with diymummy, children must learn to stand up for themselves and as long as it's not dangerous, I think it's alright to let them explore by themselves.

Ting

For example, you observe your kid being bullied or hit or pushed over or has his/her toy/things snatched by another kid when they are playing together. Would you:

1) wait and see how your child will react, in the belief that such interpersonal interaction is something that kids need to learn to settle and handle between themselves, as part of growing up?

2) gently pull your kid out of the situation and go talk to the other kid's parents to discipline his/her child?

3) go up to discipline/reprimand the other kid first, then go talk to the other kid's parents if the parents are not in the know of their child's mischief yet?

likewise, if it is something small like someone snatching a toy, or pushing, i will just watch n see how pin reacts. given pin's character, if it is a friend/classmate of hers, she will either tell her friend that it is wrong to push/snatch toys, if not she will tell her teachers. if it is a stranger or someone she is not familiar with, she will come to me n complain. LOL. usu will just tell her it is ok, n ask her to play with something else.

if the other child gets rough unintentionally, i will just tell the child nicely that it is not very nice to do so. but if the child intentionally hits/bite/push, or rather, hurt pin, i will def step in, pull pin out, speak to the child n the parents. if i just take pin away n not mention to the child's parents abt their behavior, the child will just bully another child.

apollo

if is small issue lik snatching toys only, i think is alright. which kids dont snatch? just make sure we discipline our kids well will do. but if isthose pushing, hitting etc, i will get my son out of the situation and tell the kid not to bully him but i will NOT discipline that child who bullies my son cos afterall, he is NOT my child. And depends, if this happens in a sch environment (maybe in future when he starts sch), i will let the sch teacher know, if i happen to see his parents, will tell them. But if this happen outside, a stranger kid doing so, i will just tell him dont bully my son and walk off.

We encountered a stranger child keep pushing ds, and ds just walk away from him but this kid keep coming to disturb/push him and ds just ignore him and play on his own until that boy finds nth 'fun' in bullying my son and walk away himself. LOL!!!!!!

stonston

For example, you observe your kid being bullied or hit or pushed over or has his/her toy/things snatched by another kid when they are playing together.
If it's small matter, I will let my boy handle. He's gotten quite tough and can handling bullying on his own now.

If it's more serious, I normally....

If they are my cousins' kids:
I will go over and stop the behaviour and tell them off. Make all the kids apologise. Then let their parents know if it's serious (possible for someone to be hurt seriously) or a repeated offence.

Other kids:
I will stop the behaviour, then inform the parents. Make all the kids apologise.

candy_ian

It depends if the bullying happened with my nieces or his classmates.
If it's just snatching of toys I'll not step in n let my son handle it.. He's usually fine n he will just share with that person.
If it's something that needs to b addressed to like pushing, scolding I will steP in.
For Nieces I will ask them what happened and explained to them what shld b n shld not b done, they can understand as they r at least 3-5 yrs older than son. I will get them to apologize n give a hug n close the case but I will inform their parents too. If it's of something more serious their parents will step in with disciplinary actions.
If I happens with his classmates I will explain to the child n bring my son out of the situation n let their parents know.