Would you give up everything to be with the one you love?

noelsmum

Mandy,

Please clarify if the man is your BF or hubby? In your other post, he's your hubby. There is a difference between a BF and hubby. If it's my hubby, I will go to wherever my hubby is based at and return home bi monthly for visits to be with my dad. But if it's a BF, then, I won't go because obviously my dad is more important than a BF.

tealeaf

Mandy,

Please clarify if the man is your BF or hubby? In your other post, he's your hubby. There is a difference between a BF and hubby. If it's my hubby, I will go to wherever my hubby is based at and return home bi monthly for visits to be with my dad. But if it's a BF, then, I won't go because obviously my dad is more important than a BF.
Hi Mandy,
I agree with noelsmum. If my hubby is posted overseas for a long time, I will follow him and visit my dad few times over the year. If he's my bf, I will choose to take care my dad.

aiyoyo

I think you will need to stay with your dad a few more months and let him stabilize first before going to Japan. Otherwise even if you go to Japan, you will be hit with guilt, wondering how is your dad...

jessmummy

i suggest that u should go over for around 2 mths to stay together first. and try the new environment before deciding if this is a permanent move. i have had friends going over for 2 months and end up coming back because they cannot adapt.

tealeaf

Mandy, some of my friends before staying for a long term in Singapore thought that Singapore was a great place to stay. After staying for few months, they found it boring :tlaugh:

Before I went to Australia, I thought I could enjoy my stay there if my husband was relocated there. After I stayed there for 1 month, I did not like staying there. Still prefer Singapore LOL

miccghar

don't give up everything. At least u have to be independant if not, u will have big problem if things don't go your way

noelsmum

Mandy, have you lived overseas before? Are you the kind that's very dependent on friends? Or are you the kind that's independent and likes to explore new places by yourself? Can you even go watch movies by yourself? Do you need lots of friends to be around you all the time?

Ask yourself these questions? To a certain extent, I'm quite independent. Before having a son, I travel enjoy traveling alone without my husband to meet my friends and cousins living overseas. I don't mind if my husband work late as I often have things to do alone or sometimes with my friends. Talking from experience, living overseas alone without family or friends can be isolating and lonely. Judging from your posts, you seem like you do need attention from your bf/husband/fiance. People who work in Japan very often work long hours (husband used to work in a japanese firm and my best friend is a japanese who used to live in Tokyo working in the finance sector) and you might be alone quite often. Are you able to take the loneliness and are you outgoing enough to make friends. And final question, check your visa arrangement. For most countries, if you're not legally married to your partner, they won't grant you a long term visa so you might have to fly in and out of Japan whenever your tourist visa is about to expire and if you do this often enough, the japanese immigration might end up asking you questions.

This is my 2 cents' worth of thoughts. Living overseas can be exciting but often in the first 6 to 12 months, one can feel homesick. I've lived overseas close to a quarter of my life and there are times that I still feel pangs of homesickness.

esoterice

Hmm for me, I think I will stay in SG for a 1-2 months to monitor my father, then slowly take the chance to tell him my plans to go Japan. When his mental state is better, then will leave for Japan. So, at least when you leave, you will not be worried or feel guilty too much hehe..

noelsmum

Firstly, no im not the kind of person who will get homesick cus im quite sick of my house seriously. I might miss the food and familiarity here. Might sort of miss my job here..

Secondly, no i m not the kind who is very dependent on friends... Im instead very dependent on my bf. Like what you say i need his attention. Yes, i can go movie by myself. Actually most of the time i prefer either to be alone or to be with my bf only. Yes, im wierd.

The immigration visa is the tricky part,i can only get long term visa if we are married... hmmm.. marriage is indeed a heavy responsibility.. We are still trying to work things out thou.. hais. Do you have any suggestions?
1) You don't think that you'll miss home as you're quite sick of your house. Moving overseas is an adventure. It may sound fun and exciting and thrilling and all the good stuff. But it should not be an escape. I don't know what's happening in your family or what are the dynamics. But I believe as much as you can be sick of your house or your family, your family will be there for you when you need help. Well, unless you do come from a very messed up family. What I'm trying to say is that you may think that you are sick of your family but there is still a chance that you might miss home especially if you have never live out of your family home before.

2) This might be the biggest problem. As you mentioned that you might be very dependent on your bf, this might create a big problem. When you move to Japan, he is your only friend. What if he has to work 12 hr a day and may not have time to sms you or call you or have dinner with you? And what if you made all the effort to cook dinner and only to have him call to tell you that he needs to have dinner with his colleagues? Will you throw a fit?

3) For immigration, no, I've no tips. Only tip, get married and be there legally.