y does old pple say 3month can eat cereal ??

aahdorr

cn i noe y old pple say can put one scroop cereal in their milk? i saw alot of forum saying is dangerous .. veri confursed oso.. -.-

keefu

Ehh i only heard that 4 months can start to eat porridge... But I still prefer to let my baby taste cereal only when he's six months.

apollo

some ppl think that by adding cereal into their milk will make the baby fuller so the baby will not ask for milk so frequent. And why some said it is dangerous to feed cereal thru bottle is becos it might choke the baby and 2-3mth old is way too young for them to take semi solid. And I personally find it abit 'extra' to add cereal into milk. And introducing semi solid shd always wait until the baby can sit upright with support and feed via spoon, not bottle. =)

Just my 2 cents worth =)

twiggiez

my mom has been adding cereal into milk for all the babies she's taken care of since they're a month old. *she's not one of the old people. she's a young grandma hehe* and all the babies turned out fine.
when my girl was 4 weeks, she added a bit of cereal. barely a teaspoon. she makes sure it's properly dissolved.

with my little brother, she fed him soft boiled egg when he was 3 months. he turned out to be a very chubby toddler.
and when my girl turns 3-4months, my mom is gonna start feeding her soft boiled eggs too.

apollo

my mom has been adding cereal into milk for all the babies she's taken care of since they're a month old. *she's not one of the old people. she's a young grandma hehe* and all the babies turned out fine.
when my girl was 4 weeks, she added a bit of cereal. barely a teaspoon. she makes sure it's properly dissolved.

with my little brother, she fed him soft boiled egg when he was 3 months. he turned out to be a very chubby toddler.
and when my girl turns 3-4months, my mom is gonna start feeding her soft boiled eggs too.
Just to let you know, babies below 1yo CANNOT take egg white. Your mum was lucky that the babies turned out to be alright and not allergic to egg white. And egg yolk can be introduced from, 8 mth onwards. Maybe you would like to ask ur pd or do more research b4 letting ur mum feed ur girl whole egg.

Ashbaby

Baby should drink milk from 0-6months old, as the required nutrients are from milk.

I know some oldies like to intro semi solid to baby at 4 mths old, PD will advise to start semi solid at 6mths old.

No egg white and honey before baby turn 1 yr old. Egg york can be given after 9 mths old.

gumbokins

My mum also fed my daughter cereal mixed with formula, because it would 'make her more full and cry less'. She also gave my daughter a bit of water every day to 'clean the tongue' and keep her cool in hot weather. It was my first baby, the first grandchild and I was staying with my mum and even though so many websites advised against both practices, I could not stop my mum because after all she was really doing me a huge favour by taking care of both me and my girl.

At that time (<1 mth) my daughter was also very slow to gain weight, to the point where 1 PD said i was going to cause her brain damage if I don't do something about it (I never went back there again, btw). I was trying very hard to breastfeed, and after being told that by the PD I was so upset, I thought my milk was insufficient and that I was a lousy mother. So we started giving her more formula, but I still latched to nurse her whenever I could. When we moved into our own flat, I made it a point to not keep formula in the house to spur me on to breastfeed.

Anyways, despite that shaky start she's now this giant 3 yr old preschooler. Almost always the biggest in class even though she's usually one of the youngest.

But here's the thing..now with my no.2, whom I have been taking care of by myself, I believe the reason why my daughter was slow to gain weight was because she was being given water and cereal. These made her full, yes, but it also meant she would not be nursing as much as she needs to, which then means she's not getting the nutrients and calories she needs to grow. I compare her with my son, whom I've been nursing fully since birth and even though he is on the small side, he's been gaining weight steadily and as expected.

So for my son now, I'm going to introduce solids to him only at 6 months and try to keep breastfeeding him for as long as I can. Sometimes when we've had a really bad day, I'm very tempted to shove a bottle in his mouth but I try to talk myself out of it.

twiggiez

yeah i know it's unadvisable to do so. and i'm not encouraging anyone to follow.
my grandma was surprised when she saw the cerelac and asked who it was for. she too said baby was too young for cereal...

pinkapple

... I compare her with my son, whom I've been nursing fully since birth and even though he is on the small side, he's been gaining weight steadily and as expected.

So for my son now, I'm going to introduce solids to him only at 6 months and try to keep breastfeeding him for as long as I can. Sometimes when we've had a really bad day, I'm very tempted to shove a bottle in his mouth but I try to talk myself out of it.
yeah! jia you with breastfeeding.

but hor, please know that breastfed babies are not equal to small babies.

my son was tbf til he started on solids and was a 80th percentile baby.
he only started on FM when he was 2 years old.

Last edited:

apollo

And.... even IF the baby is small, as long as he/she is healthy, continue to gain weight, i dont see any pro at all. =)

candy_ian

Actually it all depends on the genes.. Don't have to b chubby to b cute or healthy.. My son is small size but I'm happy with it.. As long as he's growing well, reaching milestones then I don't c any need for concern.. I'm tbf my son till now.. Intend to stop when he wants to..
If adding cereal into milk Is to make the bb fuller than it contra with thinking of chubby baby.. More cereal = less milk = less intake... Milk is their only source of intake so why cut it down?
It's just like us wanting to loose weight so eat food that release carbo slower so that keep us full? I think no rush in weanin the bb. Look our for the signs as recommended by pds to start weaning

gumbokins

yeah! jia you with breastfeeding.

but hor, please know that breastfed babies are not equal to small babies.

my son was tbf til he started on solids and was a 80th percentile baby.
he only started on FM when he was 2 years old.
Yup I've seen breastfed babies who are big and bountiful, and formula-fed ones who are lean (I want to say 'scrawny' but really lah huh).

Probably the reason why people keep saying he's small is because both my husband and I are BIG people. But usually when someone comments on his size, I just reply "He's a baby, of course he's small lah..."

To me, he's just the right size..baby size..lol!

ANYWAYS MUMMIES...I've been dealing with this scammer whom I first met on this forum. Spent my CNY holiday doing a lot of investigation..you can read all about the incident here: http://tinyurl.com/ziman (the google doc URL too long ler). Still not resolved!

Last edited:

shopaholic

I only give cereal after 5 to 6 mths. Nope, it's not mixed with milk. I prepared a small bowl to test my baby's acceptance.

Renzie

I only started giving her food other than milk at about 4.5 months old. Cereal at about 5-6 months I think. That's only introduce into her milk feed before bedtime, so as to make her fuller and let her sleep longer at night.

Don't compare a formula fed and a breast fed baby. Most importantly is that they are developing well and active.