Your Diet vs supply of milk

isabelandrew

Experienced ladies,

I need assurance. I have been on very light diet like fish porridge and wholemeal bread and milo.

Does that means I will produce less amount of milk? Will that also means my nutirition of the milk is no good?

The color of my milk is still white... My bb already 2 months plus liao

Phoebii Cheng

No u will not produce less amt of milk if you still bf ur bb.....r u oso supplementing her with FM other than ur BM? cos' when u r bf ur bb, she oso needs all the nutrients like iron, calcium etc for building of bones....so if u r not taking enough of nutrients, ur bb might take away ur nutrients from ur body, so it is best if u top up the nutrients in ur body too :tlaugh:

snowbear

Experienced ladies,

I need assurance. I have been on very light diet like fish porridge and wholemeal bread and milo.

Does that means I will produce less amount of milk? Will that also means my nutirition of the milk is no good?

The color of my milk is still white... My bb already 2 months plus liao
Nutrition of milk is not affected by what you eat really (with the exception of starving people in Third World countries). Your body will just draw nutrients from your own reserves to make milk for your baby which means that your own nutrients are being depleted. In the long run that's not good for your own health. Do eat a properly balanced diet to maintain good health. :) It is not advisable to diet while breastfeeding.

isabelandrew

Phew. But I got low supply :( only managed to pump 60ml at office at one time.
I got gastric problem la so cannot eat heavy meals

Amulet

Nutrition of milk is not affected by what you eat really (with the exception of starving people in Third World countries). Your body will just draw nutrients from your own reserves to make milk for your baby which means that your own nutrients are being depleted. In the long run that's not good for your own health. Do eat a properly balanced diet to maintain good health. :) It is not advisable to diet while breastfeeding.
agree..

to increase the supply, juz pump more often, plenty of water, and try to achieve letdown lo..

Last edited:

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
having a balanced diet is important... because as snowbear says, the person to suffer won't be the baby but YOU! so eat well for yourself :) dieting can come when baby is less dependant on you as a sole source of nutrition.

as for let down, my pumping friends tell me it takes practice... you need to relax and use your particular trigger to help... some use baby's clothes, pictures, memories (in their heads)... its different for everyone so experiment til you find what works for you.

g'luck!

isabelandrew

mummies, they say drink milk powder for breastfeeding mothers is good? anyone try and can share with me? Also, which brand is better? I cant drink milk very well, tummy ache sometimes....

snowbear

mummies, they say drink milk powder for breastfeeding mothers is good? anyone try and can share with me? Also, which brand is better? I cant drink milk very well, tummy ache sometimes....
I've tried Anmum n Enfamama for breastfeeding mums. i personally think they taste bad. So after i finished e tin, i went back to normal Anlene and calcium tablets to replace calcium.