Is this normal or is this being paranoid???

jal

Someone I know whom gave birth about 1 year ago behaves in the following way & I am not sure if such behaviour is considered normal or considered as being on the verge of paranoia?

1) When her precious baby was first borned at KK Hospital, she refused to let anyone carry her baby unless they disinfect their hands with a sanitizer first.
My reaction: Ok, this is reasonable.

2) AND they must also remove all their watch, rings, bracelets, what-have-you because she is scared that these items will poke her precious little one.
My reaction: Eh...

3) After listening to a nosey auntie next door about how kids who are exposed to photography when they were babies grew up to be introverts, depressed, reticent, etc, she told us not to take too many photographs of her precious one.
My reaction: Huh?

4) She absolutely refuses to let us use flash when we take pictures of her baby, saying that it is bad for his eyes. If we accidentally forget to turn off the flash, she will immediately say "No, don't do that." And even when her hubby is the cameraman, immediately, she will stop whatever she is doing & march up to him in an annoyed manner & say "Don't do that! How many times have I told you already?"
My reaction: Wah! No one is spared from her numerous rules.

5) She does not trust anyone to carry her precious little one, it seems. Not even when the person is her own mother. Her mother was carrying the baby & walking up & down along the common corridor one day to show him the plants. If her mother walks out of sight from the main door, she will quickly ask "where is my baby & mother?" If her father tells her that probably she took him downstairs for a walk, immediately she will stop whatever she is doing & go downstairs to verify their whereabouts.
My reaction: Dun u even trust your own mother? Did u think she brought your baby downstairs to sell him??? Tsk.

6) When my hubby took her baby for a quick walk along the common corridor & took care to keep to the left side where the flats were, instead of on the right where the corridor is, just to make extra sure, she will be standing at the main door, keeping an ever watchful eye.
My reaction: She is just like a mother hawk.

7) When my hubby carried her precious little one in the kitchen & stood near the window to show him the sights (near, not beside the window), she will quickly say "Dun go near the window!"
My reaction: As if my hubby does not have the common sense to refrain from going to the front of the window.

8) When I flipped the pages of a newspapers to show her baby some pictures, she will immediately say "Dun let him touch the papers."
My reaction: Aargh, I know this without you even telling me. I just wanted to point out the picture to him. I did not draw his hands towards the newspaper.

9) When I carried him to the living room window which was properly locked, his mother would say "Dun let him touch the window grilles. There is a lot of dust. I have not wiped them yet".
My reaction: Ok, fine. This is reasonable but after hearing too many "No, dun do this", "No, dun do that", it is starting to jar on me.

10) When I took some plain water to drink from the kitchen, she saw it & said "Dun take water from that jug. It is for my baby. Take from the other jug." I replied "But that one is too hot to be placed inside my PET bottle." And she kept quiet.
My reaction: Come on, it is not as if I drank all the water there. Must u over-react every time???

11) When we stood around the bed to look at her baby, she will tell us to stand in front of him, not at the side of him, as she does not want his eyes to develop in the wrong way. But when more & more people come in to look, we are bound to move nearer & nearer to the side to make space for them to come in. Still she will say "No, dun stand there."

So mummies, after reading this, do u think the woman mentioned above is behaving in a normal way?

Last edited:

autumn82

Someone I know whom gave birth about 1 year ago to a boy behaves in the following way & I am not sure if such behaviour is considered normal or considered as being on the verge of paranoia?

1) When her precious baby son was first borned at KK Hospital, she refused to let anyone carry her baby unless they disinfect their hands with a sanitizer first.
My reaction: Ok, this is reasonable. I dun la. Anyone also can carry. Go home then wash him up again lor.

2) AND they must also remove all their watch, rings, bracelets, what-have-you because she is scared that these items will poke her precious little one.
My reaction: Eh... I also Eeerrrr...

3) After listening to a nosey auntie next door about how kids who are exposed to photography when they were babies grew up to be introverts, depressed, reticent, etc, she told us not to take too many photographs of her precious one.
My reaction: Huh? Wuliao.

4) She absolutely refuses to let us use flash when we take pictures of her baby, saying that it is bad for his eyes. If we accidentally forget to turn off the flash, she will immediately say "No, don't do that." And even when her hubby is the cameraman, immediately, she will stop whatever she is doing & march up to him in an annoyed manner & say "Don't do that! How many times have I told you already?"
My reaction: Wah! No one is spared from her numerous rules. Oh pls.

5) She does not trust anyone to carry her precious little one, it seems. Not even when the person is her own mother. Her mother was carrying the baby & walking up & down along the common corridor one day to show him the plants. If her mother walks out of sight from the main door, she will quickly ask "where is my baby & mother?" If her father tells her that probably she took him downstairs for a walk, immediately she will stop whatever she is doing & go downstairs to verify their whereabouts.
My reaction: Dun u even trust your own mother? Did u think she brought your baby downstairs to sell him??? Tsk. I do, coz my mil never tell me she's gonna bring him out. She is supposed to inform the parents, not just bring out like tt? No?

6) When my hubby took her baby for a quick walk along the common corridor & took care to keep to the left side where the flats were, instead of on the right where the corridor is, just to make extra sure, she will be standing at the main door, keeping an ever watchful eye.
My reaction: She is just like a mother hawk. I dun la.. Unless someone not reliable enuff.. But then, if so I also won't let them carry in the 1st place.

7) When my hubby carried her precious little one in the kitchen & stood near the window to show him the sights (near, not beside the window), she will quickly say "Dun go near the window!"
My reaction: As if my hubby does not have the common sense to refrain from going to the front of the window. Paranoid.

8) When I flipped the pages of a newspapers to show her baby some pictures, she will immediately say "Dun let him touch the papers."
My reaction: Aargh, I know this without you even telling me. I just wanted to point out the picture to him. I did not draw his hands towards the newspaper. Paranoid.

9) When I carried him to the living room window which was properly locked, his mother would say "Dun let him touch the window grilles. I have not wiped them yet".
My reaction: Ok, fine. This is reasonable but after hearing too many "No, dun do this", "No, dun do that", it is starting to jar on me. Try scaring her, oh yea, maybe the grills will drop out of the window. :x

10) When I took some plain water to drink from the kitchen, she saw it & said "Dun take water from that jug. It is for my baby. Take from the other jug." I replied "But that one is too hot to be placed inside my PET bottle." And she kept quiet.
My reaction: Come on, it is not as if I drank all the water there. Must u over-react every time??? Actually, I'm also quite particular abt water. Coz afraid when bb wants to drink milk, not enuff water, then fuss. :p

So mummies, after reading this, do u think the woman mentioned above is behaving in a normal way? Paranoid in a way. :tlaugh:

apollo

Someone I know whom gave birth about 1 year ago to a boy behaves in the following way & I am not sure if such behaviour is considered normal or considered as being on the verge of paranoia?

1) When her precious baby son was first borned at KK Hospital, she refused to let anyone carry her baby unless they disinfect their hands with a sanitizer first.

My reaction: Huh?

My reaction: Dun u even trust your own mother? Did u think she brought your baby downstairs to sell him??? Tsk.

My reaction: She is just like a mother hawk.

My reaction: As if my hubby does not have the common sense to refrain from going to the front of the window.

My reaction: Aargh, I know this without you even telling me. I just wanted to point out the picture to him. I did not draw his hands towards the newspaper.

9) When I carried him to the living room window which was properly locked, his mother would say "Dun let him touch the window grilles. I have not wiped them yet".
My reaction: Ok, fine. This is reasonable but after hearing too many "No, dun do this", "No, dun do that", it is starting to jar on me.

My reaction: Come on, it is not as if I drank all the water there. Must u over-react every time???

So mummies, after reading this, do u think the woman mentioned above is behaving in a normal way?
for num 4 & 8 i think is very normal.. cos flash light is really not good for eyes.. mayb she scare her baby will hand itchy go touch the newspaper?

the most weird one i think is num 3 lo... i'll take LOTSA LOTSA photos for my BB!!! Must keep memories mah..

oh ya.. did she "wk hard" for v long period b4 she conceive this baby???

yellowpudding

my opinion of her? normal behaviour but a fussy pot. to prevent having any conflicts / fights / disagreements - best to leave her alone :)

jal

for num 4 & 8 i think is very normal.. cos flash light is really not good for eyes.. mayb she scare her baby will hand itchy go touch the newspaper?

the most weird one i think is num 3 lo... i'll take LOTSA LOTSA photos for my BB!!! Must keep memories mah..

oh ya.. did she "wk hard" for v long period b4 she conceive this baby???
Ya, I think she married when she was 32 or so & gave birth only when she was in her late 30s. So the period of 'trying' is considered long. Moreover, she only wants to have 1 baby. So I think that's why she is being extra fussy & paranoid about everything... If her baby were not cute, I would have left that woman alone long ago, but because her baby is so super duper cute, I smile & put up with her.

Last edited:

pink_daisy

but i feel she's over-protective of her child.... i doubt she takes her baby downstairs to the playground or something...she muz hv hidden her baby in the hse at all times except, for the few times when the baby was lucky to be walked around the corridor... mayb u can try talking to the mother n advised her not to react in such ways... old ppl used to say, a child needs to fall down n picks himself up b4 he grows up..with such a protective environment, it might do more harm than good to the child.

jal

but i feel she's over-protective of her child.... i doubt she takes her baby downstairs to the playground or something...she muz hv hidden her baby in the hse at all times except, for the few times when the baby was lucky to be walked around the corridor... mayb u can try talking to the mother n advised her not to react in such ways... old ppl used to say, a child needs to fall down n picks himself up b4 he grows up..with such a protective environment, it might do more harm than good to the child.
Yeah, I wanted to say so but dare not as I am do not have any kids yet, so she may say I am not qualified to advise her. Furthermore, she likes to 'share information' (read gossip) with her mother & 2 other sisters. So they in turn will spread the news to their own children & everybody will have a bad impression of me. Yeah, the environment there is very open; there are no secrets unless you specifically ask it to be kept as one.

EnFlor

fussy is one thing. Think she has her some degree of insecurities too. Perhaps, someone brave could tell her to tone down her antics otherwise she could be on her way to being a schizo. Now that is abnormal!

Also like some said, best to leave her alone. Who knows she may have post-natal depression...u know like a time-bomb, waiting to explode over the accumulating things that have annoyed her. That could aggravate her situation.

Is she still being difficult now that her bb is a little older ? For me, even if the bb is super duper cute but the mummy is so unapproachable....can forget to even come close to the bb liao!

Phoebii Cheng

When my son was one mth old, I m almost like tht.....but of cos, a lot of my frens who want to carry my bb auto wash their hands 1st....as for the taking pics, I took a lot when my son was NB with or without flash is ok with me......

As for who carries my bb & where, well I was only particular abt whether they will treat my bb like a doll, if they dun then its ok with me, if yes, then I will try ways and means to be near where the person who carries my son is.......

I think at tht time, I almost got depression lah....cos' 1st bb and my confinement lady only came to help for 2 and half wks only, bb constant crying.....

I think diff pple will go thru diff experience, sometimes it's good to understand 1st time mummies, but however, if u think that some actions or behaviour is too extreme, then I would oso just stay away from her

Ya, I think she married when she was 32 or so & gave birth only when she was in her late 30s. So the period of 'trying' is considered long. Moreover, she only wants to have 1 baby. So I think that's why she is being extra fussy & paranoid about everything... If her baby were not cute, I would have left that woman alone long ago, but because her baby is so super duper cute, I smile & put up with her.
next month my precious come out liao if cute i let you know. then you can change target liao. no need put up with her till so xinku. :twink:
haha. for me im quite green vege 'qing cai' kind. as long as you dont swing my baby or throw him up and down. you want carry where see see also can.

stonston

she's abit like me. i'm onli paranoid when it comes to food. i dun like ppl anyhow give my son food without my permission.

but i tink it's normal considering the fact she married late n probably had a hard time getting preggie or had a difficult pregnancy so baby is very precious to her.

but honestly, she'll be the type of parent teachers in school will hate. haha.

Lotus

Personally I think she's rather crazy. It sounds like a stressful and tense home having to follow all these rules and regulations. What I find interesting will be how she is towards her child as they become older - will she let them play in playgroun or is it too dirty, not safe etc.

Although I do not agree with her extreme ideas, she is not doing anything wrong. She is the mother and only trying to do the best for her child.

stonston

Actually hard for us to comment much cos we dunno her relationship with her mum.

for my mum, i was very worried at first cos she is so rough! she likes to rock babies which i do not approve of as violent rocking can cause brain damage!

and my mum's idea of 'safety' is quite insane. so i din realli trust my mum to bring baby out alone.

but after a while she'll get over it la. dun worry :)

elmo493

1) When her precious baby was first borned at KK Hospital, she refused to let anyone carry her baby unless they disinfect their hands with a sanitizer first.
Hopefully every visitors is sutogear one and go to wash hand without infroming

My husband did that himself

My husband forbid flashlight

You know but baby don't and their hand is very fast.

elmo493

I believe all parent of first baby will behave more or less like that because if baby fall sick or fall down, parent is the one to suffer beside baby himself

Ottermum

I think she's crazy....though i understand her good intentions toward her child but it's toooooo much!!!!

you're sooo right she's a human HAWK!

there are many cute babies around leh... leave her n her baby alone la...

although i'm a 1st time mum i'm not like that leh...yes the only thing i'm more 'kan chiong' will be on the food...the rest ok ma....

oh dearrrrr.....i dunno took how many pictures with flash liao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:elvis:

i pity her child man...next time grow up sure 'don't do this!!! don't do that!!!' :we2Randy-git:

apollo

frankly, i will rather not carry her baby if the mother is so paranoid, to prevent any conflict in future... think she's so protective to her baby becos she tried very long for this baby but is very OVER leh!!! LOL